Ampharos / Magmortar

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Randy8124, Jan 17, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy8124

Randy8124 New Member

Hello everyone! I really like Ampharos from Secret Wonders. So I have thrown together a deck list. Any fixes to suggest? I am also open to suggestions for a good name for this deck.

Pokemon (20):
    3-2-3 Ampharos (all from SW)
    4-3-1 Magmortar (SW Magmar & Magmortar, MT Magmortar Lv. X)
    4 Smeargle (SW)

Trainers (23):
    4 Celio’s Network
    3 Rare Candy
    4 POV
    2 Professor Rowan
    3 Rosanne’s Research
    1 Warp Point
    2 Night Maintenance
    3 Windstorm
    1 Mr. Stone

Energy (17):
    2 Scramble
    3 DRE
    8 Fire
    4 Lightning

Strategy:
    Hopefully start off with Smeargle and get energy into my hand. Smeargle can also do Trace for 1 energy, although it is flippy. Meanwhile, I start to get a benched Magmortar and Ampharos charged up. The combination of Ampharos and Magmortar, I believe, makes for a very good damage spreading deck. Place damage counters every time they play a supporter and use both Magmortar and Ampharos to take out already damaged Pokemon on the bench. I know that this deck has weakness to THE BDIF, but hopefully with all of the damage spread going around, I can make my opponent’s bench be the target for Bring Down. Also, this deck is for league and fun not States, so I really just want it to be competitive. The energy I picked was to take full advantage of Ampharos’s Cluster Bolt attack. I will only want to have 1 Lightning and 2 Fire energy attached at a time. That way I will discard the Lightning, if I want to, and then charge him up with another Lightning for the next turn. I also know that I have to careful when I place my DRE, as I will have to discard it from both Ampharos and Magmortar Lv. X.

Variants:
    Ampharos – I decided to use all SW Ampharos. I could tech in Ampharos from DF in order to use all of the delta support cards. I went with Ampharos SW because I want to do damage spread. Is this wise? If not, why not?

Starter – I choose Smeargle so that I could get plenty of energy to my hand and I really like his second attack. The other starter that might be good with this deck is Furret. Any suggestions for a different starter?

Attacker – I choose Magmortar because is one of the toughest snipers that is a Stage 1. I dismissed any Pokemon that was a Stage 2 because it is too slow in this current format. I really had a tough time choosing between Magmortar and Octillery. Octillery is good, but the lower HP and less damage spreading made me go with Magmortar.

Trainers – Most of my trainers are pretty straight forward. I went with Mr. Stones to get some of the energy that I will be discarding back into my hand. I think though that another Warp Point might be necessary. What do you think?

Thanks for all of your help before I get it. My son and I have only been playing for about 3-4 months, but we are having a great time. We joined the Newark, DE league and love it. This is a great game. This site has helped our game greatly. Although I have made some posts in the past, this is my first deck list that I ever posted. This definetly will not be the last though.

2. KAZUTO!!!

KAZUTO!!! New Member

Hmmmm... maybe take out a Magmar and add in another Warp Point, and maybe take out a POV and put in another Roseanne's Research. That's all I can think of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.