Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ancient Crystals...(EON)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I absolutely love Omastar. I have gone on about it before especially in my previous Omastar deck. Basically, the idea goes like this:

Buried Fossil uses Reconstruction to grab the Omanyte which you play the following turn and attack with Team Assembly, filling your Bench. Get the Omastars and just swarm. It is perfect transition. You can be attacking with a fully pumped Omastar turn three. A 110 HP Pokemon hitting for 50 every turn while you build your Bench. You never ever max out the fourth energy. Do not play more than three. That way you aren't losing a whole bunch of everything and so you can keep attacking. It's a steady stream that just can be overwelming for your opponent.

Pull Down is what makes Omastar unique. There is almost no Bench Manipulation (Gust of Wind, Double Gust, etc). So when the opponent retreats a heavily damaged Pokemon, Pull Down not only gets the Bench, but can grab multiple prizes. Pull Down is most effective against EX Evolutions because the huge HP drop. (Example Kabutops EX to Kabuto) So what deck worries me most. Well the answer is Sceptile. Sceptile is suuuper scary. Resistance like crazy. Yea, that hurts. So what can I do to escape my resistance? Well, Resistance Gym has been ancient history (pun), so I have to look elsewhere...

To Crystal Shard. Yeap. Change my whole type to Colorless. Hit Sceptile with a Colorless Hydrocannon or two. This either has let me do enough damage or with a couple key hits I can Pull Down. But, why would I just play Crystal Shard for Resistance. Well according to spoilers for Dragons, and at least Dragonite ex, are weak to Colorless. So Crystal Shard gives me an added "type" advantage. I really like my new list which I will show you right about...now...

Ancient Crystals
EON Format

Pokemon: 19
4 Buried Fossil
4 Omanyte (Sandstorm)
4 Omastar (Sandstorm)
3 Marill (Error)
2 Zangoose
2 Ditto (Skyridge)

Energy: 17
14 Water
3 Warp

Trainers: 24
4 Oracle
4 Master Ball
4 Potion
3 Copycat
3 Professor Oak's Research
2 Oran Berry
2 Crystal Shard
2 Town Volunteers

Quick explanation for my Supporting Pokemon. Marill well simply because it's an amazing ruling. Playing it for free retreat. You actually want to try to get one in your opening few turns. And besides, I am playing Water anyways. Double Bubble is 75% chance of paralyzing. That's pretty nice. Stalling right there. Zangoose is extra colorless support. Hitting evos for 60. That's pretty nice against Sceptile. And you know how people are looking for "universal" Pokemon like Cleffa used to be? Well, Skyridge Ditto works for me. Think about it. You copy Wynaut and Dunsparce that are being played. I like Ditto lots. So I dropped Dunsparce. Team Assembly is like a better Hide and Run attack anyways. I haven't ever played lower than 18 energy, so I am kinda iffy. I may cut the Town Volunteers for the extra energy. I just like having large recovery, especially if I am gonna be swarming. I love my Drawing Engine, it's like perfect in this deck.

Oracle/Master Ball comboed together gives the two Omastar. 3/3 Copycat and Research works the best for me. Master Ball is non Supporter Pokemon Searching. And Oracle is a staple. So yea. I have healing, and then my new Crystal Shard strategy as described above.

Well, there it is. My newest Project (for those of you who remember my others ones, hopefully, I can perfect Omastar or at least come close) See anything I missed? Please offer comments or anything. Thanks in advance guys!!

~Gymbo

Wow, that looks really good. I don't know how Zangoose is though, because if you use it against Scpetile, it can be OHKO'd pretty easily. I don't know how Ditto is either. I know it can be used Rayquaza if it gets really popular, so it's like two extremely easy prizes, but other than that, I guess you'd have to put a lot of energy on it.

As for trainers, the crystal shards are very nice, I like that idea. I think a strength charm or two could work really well if you could fit it in. Maybe you should try Prof. Birch. You get rid of a card in you hand when you use the fossil power thing, so you hand would probably be small enough for it to work ok, but that's your choice.

Energy looks perfect.

Good luck with this, I really hope you do well. Too bad about those darn Sceptiles.

Last edited:
I am very impressed. This deck is now at the stage of people putting in their personal touches on it. Very well done. Weakness of Lighting has always been considered a better haven than most, because there are less Lighting cards than any other type. You have the swarm potential to beat a poorly built Lighting deck or one that gets some bad draws. You have lots of healing. Someone at almost every tournament will play Blaziken/something, so you can count on grass having some problems and some easy wins for you. You must keep your energy level high to get the Buried Fossil+Water Energy combo as quick as possible, it is the whole key to your game. I like Eric's thoughts on Fast Ball, it is not often that you can set up a proper Fast Balls situation. Master Ball would help get Buried Fossil quicker for your opening game or Zangoose in the long hard struggle against the Grass Masters. I like 1 Aerodactyl ex into the deck for the fun of watching your Opponent not being able to use the ever Popular Oran Berry. But that would take space and mess up Fast Ball = Omastar pronto. Others might remove both Town Voluteers for 1 Underground Lake and 1 Fisherman. Ditto vs. my heavy hitter in my favorite eon deck, sigh... This deck is seriously good!

hey Jim,

I really like the deck. Its looking awesome. I also like your trainer line, but I have a minor change that you may want to consider. I would drop the Oran Berrys for the Potion, because there may be some odd situation that you would need your omaster to become colorless and to remove 20 damage on the same turn, and you cannot play 2 Tools so i would think Potion is superior. Just my little input. The deck is looking very good.

~Colin

Great deck idea, the only thing i would suggest is (it sounds VERY redundant, I know)

-4 Potion
+4 Moo-Moo milk (more effective healing method)

I'm rather impressed. That Crystal Shard/Omastar combo vs. Sceptile is also nifty. And I know Megenium isn't THAT MUCH of a threat, but I see Crystal Shard helping there too! Nice overall though!

Zero, how do you figure its more effective of a healer? You rig the coin or something? lol. In all honesty, you KNOW what you're getting with Potion. You know you have to stack em to get 40 off, you know that if you can remove 20 you can survive an extra turn... etc.

With Moo-Moo... YES you can get lucky and get 40 off and thats fine and dandy... BUT. Say you need 20 off to survive. 2 tails. Woops, game over. Its less strategic... it gives you less control. Its not that less of control, but when I have the option of playing Moo or Potion, I'll choose potion, as I think you should do Jim.

Now, I WOULD advise the Moo Moo's over Oran berry just because of the fact that you're running another tool (crystal shard).

Do you really need the 2 TV... i know you want the recovery, but isn't one enough?

Just my 2 cents, good luck with it Jim.

Jim
I like the "Oracle/Master Ball comboed together gives the two Omastar" concept. However you may want to consider oracle/poke nav. Why? You still get your evo pokemon, or you could choose to get nrg, plus you get to reorder the two remaining cards and set top deck. This basically lets you pick 2 cards with one oracle. Grab a pokemon and w/e card you want for your next draw. Shaman hurts this concept some but it works well for me.

Reply Time:

Plaidless: I find that Ditto and Zangoose are not just stable supporters, but also provide a Colorless boost against Sceptile. I need support that way. Sceptile is a monster to this deck. Three Energy on each provides decent support. And Team Assembly allows me to pull them too. I just don't like Birch. I just don't. You are drawing cards, not getting a new hand. Just drawing cards instead of shuffling. This means you keep the cards in your existing hand too. And I don't like that.

Swampert: Because it only works on Omantye. And the chances of drawing the Stadium card is very low. I just would rather have something else. Town Volunteers at least can pull Omastar and Water Energy.

Psycodad: Fast Ball would be cool, but just not worth it. Because I don't use Master Ball JUST for Omastar. And as far as your Nav Concept, that would be cool. Because JediDrew mentioned the same thing to me. But again, I don't just use Master Ball as a combo card. You can pull support like Zangoose or Buried Fossil early.

Doug: Thank you for your kind words. Basically, when I play a deck, I try to choose decks with low probability for weakness problems. Electric, Psychic, and Fighting weaknesses are usually the best to run. I dunno about Aerodactyl ex. It's another evolution space I could use for a Basic spot such as Ditto or Zangoose. I am thinking I am gonna cut a Town Volunteers for either another Water Energy or Fisherman. Prolly the Water Energy, I will keep testing. And thanks again for your kind words.

Colin: I am not sure what you mean. I am already running 4 Potion and through in 2 Oran Berry for extra healing. But I see what you mean where I could have problems with tool usage. But I really don't wanna play Moo Moo Milk. I just hate the card. And thanks for your kind words.

Arthas: I hate Moo Moo Milk. I would just rather have the sure 20 than the chance of removing 40 or 0.

Hypno: Thannks :)

Nike: I dunno about Moo Moo. I just really dislike the card. But it might be worth considering if I find the tool usage rough. Like I've told Colin and Arthas, I would rather have the sure thing, like you say. And actually, I am cutting a TV for another Water.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Here's the slightly updated deck:

Ancient Crystals
EON Format

Pokemon: 19
4 Buried Fossil
4 Omanyte (Sandstorm)
4 Omastar (Sandstorm)
3 Marill (Error)
2 Zangoose
2 Ditto (Skyridge)

Energy: 18
15 Water
3 Warp

Trainers: 23
4 Oracle
4 Master Ball
4 Potion
3 Copycat
3 Professor Oak's Research
2 Oran Berry
2 Crystal Shard
1 Town Volunteers

Anything else?

~Jim Ferrell

Looks killer, man, really stellar stuff.

I'm not a fan of Oracle, but I know how its used in this, and it seems really good. Who'd have thought someone would ever play SK Ditto, eh? LOL! Now that I look over the whole Oran Berry/Moo Moo thing... I don't think you'll have to many situations where you'll have the oran on and need the Shard. I mean, you're only playing 2 of em each... pretty low odds to have that situation pop up right?

I think you're wrong about Birch though. No, you don't get a new hand. But in all honesty, what would you NOT want in your hand with this deck? Buried Fossil maybe? I mean, with Birch you can stack those potions in your hand which is nice. Birch has drawbacks and all, and with 4 Potion instead of 4 Oran, it might be a bit harder to pull off 4-5 card birches, but you should at least try it once in place of Copycat and see how it goes.

Later Jim... get appr so i can play vs this!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back