Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Apprentice on Mac HOW-TO

drrty byl

Instructions for Running Apprentice on a Mac

I. Download Requisite Packages/Installers
1. Darwine: Intel Architecture PowerPC Architecture
2. Apprentice: http://www.magic-league.com/download/Apprentice.exe
3. X11 Window Manager: 10.3.9 or older, 10.4+ (or from the OS X installation disc)
4. DB's Appr Dock Launcher (not necessary, but launches Appr quickly like any other OS X application)
5. HamachiX: http://apfeltaste.net/hamachix/download.html (if you need Hamachi)

II. Install OS X Stuff
1. Install X11 Window Manager
-Double-click the downloaded archive to expand it
-Navigate to the folder where the archive was expanded using Finder and double-click the "X11SDK.pkg" file, follow installation instructions
-Double-click the "X11User.pkg" file, follow installation instructions

2. Darwine
-Double-click the downloaded file to mount it
-Drag the Darwine and Trix files to the Applications folder as indicated (or for PPC Darwine, drag the "Darwine" folder into Applications)

3. Make Hidden Files and Folders Visible
You can do this by using Finder to navigate to Applications/Utilities/, double-clicking the Terminal icon, and typing "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" at the command prompt (no quotes), hitting enter, and then closing the application. You'll then need to restart Finder by pressing and holding command+alt+ESC, selecting Finder from the list, and clicking the "Relaunch" button. This step is needed to navigate to the wine folder in order to patch Apprentice files.

III. Install Apprentice.exe and Start Playing Using Darwine
Navigate to the Wine Helper application in /Applications/Darwine/WineHelper and double-click it. From WineHelper, press "Command(apple)+O" for Open and navigate to the location of the file downloaded in step I.2. Select the Apprentice.exe file and hit Open. At this point, Darwine may give you a message in the output window about needing to configure itself. If nothing happens, simply repeat this step up to this point. Now follow the Apprentice installation instructions that show up.
-Switch over to the X11 terminal window and navigate to the Apprentice folder by typing "cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Apprentice/" at the prompt (no quotes). Now type "/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/wine Appr.exe" (no quotes), cross your fingers, and hit Enter.

An Apprentice window should launch and you can being using the program as usual. Set patches are applied in the same manner as on a "real" "Windows" machine by pasting files into the "/Users/-Your User Name-/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Apprentice/" directory. To run the program in the future you'll need to use the line "/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/wine Appr.exe" from the "/Users/-Your User Name-/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Apprentice/" at the X11 prompt, or download the dock launcher icon, which will run the script and start the program automatically.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

I'll create a complete installer for this time permitting.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for this! I'm going to try it out right now and EDIT in if I am succesful or have any problems with it. BTW any chance you could explain how to run hamachi at the same time as well please?

Oh lol thanks for that!

EDIT: I'm having trouble in the last step. I type the whole "cd /Users..." in the X11 main window but it reports back there is no such file or directory. I can see the files and I know they are there but I don't know what I might be doing wrong.

Last edited:
EDIT: I'm having trouble in the last step. I type the whole "cd /Users..." in the X11 main window but it reports back there is no such file or directory. I can see the files and I know they are there but I don't know what I might be doing wrong.

Sorry -- that last line was missing a '\' character, which is used for escaping blank characters. The line has been changed to "cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Apprentice/". This step is necessary because the appr.exe file must be executed from the directory within which it resides.

I've also created a dock launcher icon so that it isn't necessary to type these strings every time you want to use the application. Just download, unzip, drag to your dock, and click when you want to use it. The dock icon can be downloaded here.

Last edited:
hey when downloading the x11 it said newer version already exists on my computer and wouldn't let me download it do you know what that might be or how 2 fix it i have never downloaded it before??

hey when downloading the x11 it said newer version already exists on my computer and wouldn't let me download it do you know what that might be or how 2 fix it i have never downloaded it before??

Sounds like you already have X11 installed. You should be able to skip that step.

ok i'll try hope it works =)

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

well taht suckes my computer dosen't support *wine helper*

Last edited:
ok i'll try hope it works =)

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

well taht suckes my computer dosen't support *wine helper*

Does your computer have an Intel or PowerPC processor? What OS version are you running? You can find this information by clicking the apple and then "about this mac". As previously stated, the latest version of Darwine is not compiled to work using the PPC.

PowerPC?

i have os x 10.4.11 it dosen't have intel i know but the power pc processor i have no clue

So it says "Power PC" next to processor when you do Apple->"about this mac"?

If so, you should be able to download and install this version of Darwine instead: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dar...ine 0.9.27 DP/Darwine_ppc-0.9.27.dmg/download . Open the downloaded DMG file with disk image mounter and drag-n-drop the Darwine folder to your Applications folder and follow the rest of the installation instructions.

Where do we download the Pokémon patch for Apprentice?

There should be a Rising Rivals patch link posted somewhere on the forum.

i have os x 10.4.11 it dosen't have intel i know but the power pc processor i have no clue

I have the same version on my MacBook, and there is something wrong with X11 and this version of OS, so you have to directly install X11 from the OSX Installation Disk 1, by following these steps: http://overstimulate.com/articles/installing-x11-on-os-x-10-4-tiger

Bill - I have a problem though, I cannot find this symbol: ~ on my keyboard, what is it's short cut? Does the dock icon allow me to skip this step, or just the last one for when I want to use Appr every time?

EDIT: I downloaded the dock, tried booting it, and it prompted me to extract/reinstall Apprentice. I did so but I got to an X11 window and Appr never booted. I also do a search in my finder for a .wine or Apprentice folder and I can't find any in my whole computer.

EDIT 2: Nevermind I got it to work now finally, I have Apprentice up and running right now, the problem is my Finder will not find the cardinfo.dat and other files so I can patch it up for Pokemon. It also won't find the drive_c or .wine filders, is there something I am missing here? Are those hidden folders that I need to make them show with the instructions you had earlier that are now gone?

Thanks for all your help Bill.

Last edited:
Pablo, open up X11 and type "ls /Users/-your_user_name_here-/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/" (no quotes) at the terminal prompt and hit enter. Do you see a folder named "Apprentice" listed?

I got it all fixed now, all I had to do was use Terminal to make all my hidden folders show up, as the .wine folder is a hidden one, and I was able to replace the patch and everything and now I am finally ready to go. Thanks for everything Bill, this is great and will surely help me this week in my Worlds testing.

People using an Intel Mac can also run the Boot Camp program to run a full version of Windows XP/Vista as a separate partition on their Mac. You can also use the application Parallels, but that is not free...

Hmm now I'm having trouble installing Hamachi, as it asks me to run files in the Read Me file that aren't there...

Hidden Files & Folders, HamachiX

Hmm now I'm having trouble installing Hamachi, as it asks me to run files in the Read Me file that aren't there...

Here's a pretty front end and autoinstaller for the terminal-based Hamachi program:
http://apfeltaste.net/hamachix/download.html

I got it all fixed now, all I had to do was use Terminal to make all my hidden folders show up, as the .wine folder is a hidden one

You can do this by using Finder to navigate to Applications/Utilities/, double-clicking the Terminal icon, and typing "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" at the command prompt (no quotes) and hitting enter. Sorry for removing that step.

Back