Aqua's Mightyena error

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by DARKGeNGaR094, Mar 8, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARKGeNGaR094

DARKGeNGaR094 New Member

Most badly worded pokemon card yet!!!!
    Error in Team Aqua's Mightyena (No.30) "Aqua Call" attack:

Aqua Call states:
    "Search your deck for Pokemon that has Team Aqua in it's name, show up to 3 of them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards".

In the first instance the use of the words "has" & "it's" refers to the singular.
    However, "show up to 3 of them to your opponent" suggests that one may search for as many Pokemon with Team Aqua in their name as one would wish and then must show only "up to 3" of them to the opponent.
    This would obviously lead to players choosing any cards they like from their deck and as long as they show at least one (up to 3) Pokemon with Team Aqua in it's name, they would have fulfilled the terms of the attack.

Surely the attack should read:

"Search your deck for up to 3 pokemon that have Team Aqua in their name, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards".

Master Professor John L.

2. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

There are a few other cards that have weird wording too. I faced someone who used Mightyena and he only took 3 Aqua cards from his deck.

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Well, he should only take Aqua cards. It's poorly worded, but is not a free Super-Computer Search.

4. TrainerJL

TrainerJL New Member

Someone suggested that you had to take three of the same card, i.e. three Aqua's Spheal, but that you couldn't take a Spheal, Sealeo and Wailren. Is this correct?

5. GodTrainer

GodTrainer Member

no i sure the intent is that you can search for up to 3 pokemon cards (ANY cards) that have team aqua in there names and put them into your hand

also

Aqua Call states:
    "Search your deck for Pokemon that has Team Aqua in it's name, show up to 3 of them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards".

there are really 2 errors here LOL first, even if you "dress" up and fix PUI BAD use of word tenses the attack still doesnt make sence, let me explane

first i will fix up there grammer and make it more like what i think they ment it to say

"that has Team" the word "has" is improper it should be "have" and also the "in it's name" is wrong, the "it's" should be "their" so if the sentence read....

"Search your deck for Pokemon that have Team Aqua in their name, show up to 3 of them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards".

it would be more closely related to the intent of PUI (IMO) LOL LOL LOL but it is still wrong becuase it says that you only have to show "up to 3 of them" so....in theory you could search for 3 cards, show ONLY one to your opponent and put the rest in your hand, which obviously leads to CHEATING or just a "technicality" depending on how you look at it (technicality in my book :) so how should the card be worded?

"Search you deck for upto three pokemon with Team Aqua in their name, show them to your opponent, then put them in your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward"

or just as Gengar094 said LOL

:D :D

6. davechri

davechri New Member

What would have been REALLY great would have been it if said "Search your deck for PokeMEN that have Team Aqua..." AWESOME!

7. Nick15

Nick15 Member

The Japanese translations says "From your deck, select Pokemon of Aqua Group up to 3, show them to opponent, then add to hand."

Or in other words, it doesn't matter who you chose, just choose up to 3 of them. ... So Nintendo farked up on the text there. :D

8. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

besides.......

it's is short for it is

the apostrophe isn't used in a possessive sense for it's

if they wanted to make it possessive, it should be its

maybe i'm a little too much of a perfectionist, but that is rather pathetic

9. TrainerJL

TrainerJL New Member

I'm sure the intent was to get three difference cards, too. But that's not what it says. it says:

"Search your deck for Pokemon that has Team Aqua in it's name,"

Ok, I got get one Team Aqua's Spheal.

"show up to 3 OF THEM to your opponent,"

Them - meaning 3 of the one you just pulled.

" and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards"

See what I mean? I agree that's probably not what they meant, but it is what is SAYS. It's hard to explain to the kids at league when they cards don't do what they say.

10. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

actually trainer, the whole part about search your deck for pokemon.... actually implies multiple pokemon....

if they wanted you to choose 1, and pull copies of it, it would state.... search your deck for A pokemon...

you must remember that pokemon is the plural of itself

so the text actually implies to pull multiple different pokemon (up to 3)!

11. NoPoke

NoPoke Active Member

There isn't anything wrong with TrainerJL's interpretation of the text. Wonderfully flexible language English!!! In fact his interpretation requires the least correction to the original grammar.

"Search your deck for a Pokemon that has Team Aqua in it's name, show up to 3 of them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards"

all that I've added is a single 'a'

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  12. PojoThundachu

PojoThundachu New Member

That card will confuse people into thinking they can get as many as they want and only have to show 3 of them to the opponent. I agree, it is quite badly worded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.