Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Arcanine SS question.

BANGINBOX

Hello all,

First off i would like to set up this question. dlynch5 and i were playing a team battle against The Deuce and Brad. Both decks on my team were playing arcanine SS. My opponents were playing gardy with support. We are all professors and have been playing the game for many years. we came to a point in this game where we thought that we were going to Kill each other. Will swears by this ruling, but everyone else disagreed. He was pulling all his money out of his pocket, screaming..."i'll bet you this hundred that i'm right!" man he was HOT!

anyhow, here was the question that we were arguing over.

my turn,
i attacked with Arcanine SS that had 2 water energy and one rainbow energy attached. his attack reads as follows...
Burn Up (R)(C)(C)
Flip a coin. If tails, discard all (R) energy CARDS attached to Arcanine.

Now the question.

Should I flip tails, would I have to discard the rainbow?

To my knowledge, rainbow energy is a special energy CARD that provides every energy TYPE. It even states on the rainbow energy, (Rainbow energy NEVER counts as basic energy card!) To Wills point, he pointed out that you can move rainbow with Sceptile even though it states, grass energy CARD. both these ruling seem to be right .

Could someone please settle this. If possible please post the reference from the compendium.
this could easily come up in the city championships.

thanx,
jimmy

Give Will all your money.

Where you went wrong was you were thinking about the rulings about BASIC energy cards.

The attack says to discard all Fire Energy cards. Rainbow counts as one of those.

If the attack had said "discard all Basic Fire Energy cards", then you would not have discarded Rainbow, or even an Energy Burned Basic Water Energy card.

More questions

The attack says to discard all Fire Energy cards. Rainbow counts as one of those.

with that being said.... would you be able to attach a rainbow energy to the eeveelutions in skyridge and remove any special conditions on them?

even better, could I discard the rainbow from the skyridge Flareon to do the extra 10 damage.

If so, Mr. Grass cost me a game at Origins making an incorrect ruling. He ruled that Rainbow could not count as a fire energy CARD!

this is maybe why I am Confused.
P.S. Will its not nice to Gloat! Cause I know where you hide your money now ;) !

thanx,
jimmy

with that being said.... would you be able to attach a rainbow energy to the eeveelutions in skyridge and remove any special conditions on them?
No. It does not provide the energy type they need until it is attached.

Flareon Burn Booster. Discard an Energy card attached to Flareon in order to use this attack. If the discarded card is a R Energy card, this attack does 40 damage plus 10 more damage.
yes a Rainbow Energy card is providing R energy and counts as an R energy card so you get the +10.

Hey now, don't be putting words in my mouth. I've always been up to date on the rulings with these wacky energy cards. I've always ruled that Rainbow Energy is all energy card types, just not a BASIC energy card.

true, but when you think about it, and play it, it ACTS like a basic energy card. In this case, it would act as a Fire energy, therefore, jimmy would have to discard it.

(So much for my horrible explanation...)

Back