Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Are card packs recyclable (UK)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manicgiraffe

Are card packs recyclable? Afaik they're metal, the ones I get have one of the recycling logos on them, and I have a domestic metal recycling collection.

But I think the refuse collectors might be a bit surprised by a crate of empty wrappers :redface: and wondered if anyone else has tried this. Or maybe someone knows the actual metal used. It would be nice to recycle the packs we get through at league times, too.

Tia,
MG

i was also thinking the other day...
is the trees cut down to make these cards replanted?

cause if they're not, the guy who decided not to should be assasinated.

the enviroment is very important, and if it isn't being treated right because of a stupid card gwme, there'll be **** to pay

The wrappers can't be recycled in the UK . The metal is most likely to be aluminium but it is such a thin layer than it is essentially non-recoverable.

To see if a metalised film can be recycled use the scrunch test: scruch it up and if it stays squashed and does not recover its shape when released then there is enough metal film thickness for it to be recovered.

Last edited:
The card packs are printed onto a thin type of plastic. If you're dead set on recycling the material, contact your trash service or look up recyclers in the area. Chances are good that somewhere relatively nearby reprocesses the material.

I was fairly confident that it was metal. Maybe I'll melt one and find out, although Nopoke has already answered my question.

I don't think the UK recycles any of its own plastic. We ship it off to other places, because melting plastic is a nasty business, so we pay other people to do it.

Also, I think its unlikely that Pokemon Cards are made from rainforests. That's quality wood, and it tends to stay as wood. Its when you're buying wood products that you should check; here we have the FSC to monitor wood sourcing but I don't know if other places have an equivalent body.
MG

Last edited:
its quite bad how some people know so little about recycling...most plastics can be recycled

the whole wood thing, i wouldn't put it past nintendo, considering the fact that they are so enviromentally unfriendly.

I'm aware of plastic recycling. I have a domestic plastic collection.

What's also bad is that most of us know little about what is involved in recycling. We just stick things in the right bins. Pretty much anything can be squashed and reused, but if the processes in between cause lots of harm and pollution, then its hardly a magical cure-all for the planet, is it?

Glass and metal are widely recycled because its easy and cost-efficient. There's also the economy side of it; some things just aren't worth recycling. With the best will in the world, I can't recycle something if no one is willing to do it.
MG

I'm aware of plastic recycling. I have a domestic plastic collection.

What's also bad is that most of us know little about what is involved in recycling. We just stick things in the right bins. Pretty much anything can be squashed and reused, but if the processes in between cause lots of harm and pollution, then its hardly a magical cure-all for the planet, is it?

Glass and metal are widely recycled because its easy and cost-efficient. There's also the economy side of it; some things just aren't worth recycling. With the best will in the world, I can't recycle something if no one is willing to do it.
MG

i wasn't talking about you, and i am aware of these implications, the sad fact is:

'recycle, the possibility has almost ended.'

meaning that the possibility of reversal to the damage already caused is closing quickly. though we recycle, the actual process is using fossil fuels doing more harm than good, soon the planets problems will be irreverable.

Yeah, but then again the Universe may well want entropy, and Earth is a really good entropy machine.

~Point being, there are lots of different ways to look at stuff

I know we've swerved OT, but I haven't melted a pack yet and would like to report my "findings", please any hovering Mods.

MG

Some stuff is certainly worth recycling. Using brand new wood to make toilet paper just seems stupid.

IIRC, recycled paper works out cheaper. Sometimes you are charged a random premium for your paper to be ecological, which is extracting the proverbial. Which works, considering what happens to toilet paper. It is worth checking the packaging, some of the cheapest toilet paper is recycled.

MG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back