Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Beating Regionals Decks (a Team Space-Time production)

Muscovy Level X

Regionals is just around the corner. For those of you whoare still debating how to counter all those arch type decks, look no farther.
This includes decks like Quickitune, Banette, Gardilade, Infernacatty, DarkVile, Tsunami, Electivire (Magphlosion coming soon), and several poular cards.

Decks

Gardilade

Overview
Gardilade is one of the most popular decks at the moment. The sheer damage from Gallade, as well as surprises and Poke-Power locking from Gardevoir and Gardevoir Lv.X make it a formidable deck.

Sample List

1 Gardevoir Lv.X SW
3 Gardevoir SW
3 Gallade SW
3 Kirlia SW
4 Ralts SW
2 Furret SW
2 Sentret SW
1 Pachirsu GE
(19 Pokemon)

4 Rare Candy
4 Celio's Network
4 Roseanne's
4 Team Galactic's Mars
2 Night maintenance
3 Team Galactic's Wager
2 Warp Point
(24 Trainers)

4 DRE
1 Special :dark:
2 Basic :dark:
6 :psychic:
4 :fighting:
(17 Energy)

Variables
Most Gardillade decks look very close to the sample list. Trainer cards always differ, and some people choose to use Claydol or Absol as an opener/supporting Pokemon.

Advantages
The biggest advantages come from decks that rely on a Pokemon like Stanler in the early game. Absol's Baleful Wind has a good chance of discarding most of the opponent's hand oner several turns. The other big type of aceleration, Poke-Powers, can also be stopped by Gardevoir. Decks like Infernacatty and Magmortar are easy to beat useing Psychic Lock.

How to Defeat it
There is no miricle deck that can easily beat Gardilade. Sableye, the very card the deck sometimes uses, is the best defence against it. Disable can slow down Absol, and render the non-Lv.X Gardevoir useless. It would be best to have only one or two as techs, idealy with a Pachi to search. The best strategy would be to NOT send up a Trainer card searcher, and focus on building up the bench. You have to be careful not to recieve a T2 loss.

Infernacatty

Overveiw
This is one of the older decks, not much different from the DP prerelease. It's a powerful deck, though it's speed can be argued over.

Sample List
1 Infernape lv.X DP
3 Infernape DP
2 Monferno DP
3 Chimchar DP
1 Delcatty ex CG
2 Delcatty PK
3 Skitty PK
2 Blaziken PK
1 Blaziken GE
1 Combusken GE
3 Torchic GE

2 Speed stadium DP
1 Scott PK
4 Rare candy GE
3 Roseanne's research SW
4 Bebe's search MT
2 Night maintenance MT
2 Dusk ball MT
2 Felicity's
2 Team Galactic's Wager
2 PlusPower

4 Double rainbow energy
11 Fire

Variables
You'll see Infernacatty decks without the Blaziken line. Those are more Speed based, and not as powerful in the late game compared to this version.

Advantages
This deck almost has an auto win against grass decks. It's also good against things like Blissey or Magphlosion, anything that takes a while to set up.

How to Beat it
Cessation Crystal and Gardevoir both mess these up, as they are so reliant on Poke-Powers. Empoleon is also good against Infernape, because it can take a Flare Blitz and still have a range of HP that PlusPowers can't quite deal with.

Banette

Overview
Banette is the fastest T2 deck there is. It can have some risks :)dark: Pokemon), but the results are always worh it.

Sample List
3 Banette SW
1 Banette PK
4 Shuppet CG
(8 Pokemon)

4 Quick ball
4 Great Ball
4 Felicity's Drawing
4 Team Galactic's Wager
4 Profesor Oak's visit
4 Roseane's
4 PokeNav
3 Pheobe's Stadium
2 Cessation Crystal
3 Night Maintenance
(36 Trainers)

4 DRE
12 Psychic
(16 Energy)

Variables
Most Banette decks shift around the numbers of Banette between PK and SW. Some decks actualy run a basic line, but those aren't realy T2.

Advantages
Because of the Dark weakness, Banette is great against Psychic decks. Any deck that can't either stall or match Banette's speed usualy loses. The only deck that can have frequent victories is Honchrow (Those pesky :dark: Pokemon).

How to Defeat it
Dark Pokemon is the way to go. If you can't run a dark deck, a Sableye should help; though it only stalls. Also Absol is also golden here, for Raid's effect can have good use.

Blissey

Overview
This is one of the most varied decks. The deck I will cover is the Absol one, only because I am more familiar with it. The variants section includes details of all common Blissey combos.

Sample List
4 Blissey MT
4 Chansey MT
3 Happininy MT
4 Absol SW
2 Pachirisu GE
(17 Pokemon)

4 Celio's Network
4 Dual Ball
2 Cessation Crystal
2 Drake's Stadium
2 Island Hermit
4 Super Scoop Up
3 Team Galactic's Wager
3 Team Galactic's Mars
2 Strength Charm
(24 Trainers) 58

1 Basic Dark
4 Special Dark
3 Boost
3 Holon FF
6 Fire
(17 Energy)

Variables
There are no guarantees on how people will run Blissey. Common setups include Blissey/Absol, Blissey/Togekiss, Blissey/Weavile, Blissey/Banette (don't know if it's a good idea, though), Blissey/Lucario, and T2 Blissey. There are so many, so don't complain if I missed one. Blissey goes with pretty much anything.

Advantages
Another deck that becomes unstopable in the late game. They are all good and relativly fast. I recomend Absol/Blissey for simplicity and disruption, but Blissy goes with tons of other cards just as well.

How to Beat it
Blissey is one of the tougher decks to beat, simply because of it's variations. All I can really say is "there will be Blissey decks at Regionals". Lucario is a good counter, as is anything that's fast. Sniping decks like Magmortar are also good, because only the Weavile decks charge Blisey up within 3 turns or so, and charging Blisseys normaly sit on the bench. (I'm not ignoreing Togekiss, it just isn't constant; it ca't really be measured in turns).

Electivire

Overveiw
It has seen less and less play lately, but it's a good deck. These can be anoyingly versitile with a good set of cards.

Sample List
3 Elekid DP
3 Electabuzz DF
1 Electivire SW
2 Electivire DP
1 Electivire Lv.X MT
3 Trapinch HP
1 Vibrava DF:42
2 Flygon(d) HP
1 Flygon ex(d) DF
1 Magnemite PK
1 Magneton PK
1 Rayquaza ex(d) DF
4 Holon's Castform HP

3 Rare Candy HP
2 TVR DF
3 H.Mentor DF
2 Celio's Network CG
2 Bebe's Search MT
1 Team Galactic's Wager MT
1 Scott PK
1 Lake Boundary MT
2 Plus Power DP
1 Windstorm CG
1 Warp Point CG
1 Night Maintenance MT

8 Lightning Energy
3 (d) Rainbow Energy HP
2 DRE CG
2 Scramble DF
1 Cyclone PK

Varients
Don't expect the cardlist to differ much, but playing strategys and exact numbers of cards frequently change.

Advantages
This is the only deck that can do much against Empoleon or Feraligatr. It must be played cautiously against almost any other deck, because it has unstopability, not pure strengh.

How to Beat it
Fighting Pokemon work well, but realy a fast Pokemon line or a sniping Pokemon can win surprisingly easily.

Tsunamis (probably spelled wrong)

Overveiw
This was one of the big decks at States. It has a high win streak, and works very well with techs.

Sample List
4 Totodile
3 Croconaw
4 Feraligatr
3 Skitty
3 Delcatty
1 Delcatty ex
1 Magnemite
1 Magneton
4 Pachirisu
1 Holons Castform (for ditching DRE, if no longer needed)

3 Celios
3 Great Ball
3 Roseannes
2 Night Maintenance
3 RC
4 Profesor Oak's Visit

4 DRE
2 Scramble
11 Water

Varients
This is one of the big decks for tech cards. Expect surprises.

Advantages
Probably the fastest water deck, so it will be particularly good against Infernacatty and Magphlosion.

How to Beat it
Lightning Pokemon like Electivire work well here. If you run a fire deck, fit one of two cards in like Sableye or Raikou, something that can mess them up for a bit.

Quickitune

Overveiw
One of the older Speed decks. It's fast, but is bad if it sets up slow.

Sample List
4x Kricketot
4x Kricketune

4x Quick Ball
4x Castaway
4x Celio's Network
3x Night Maintenance
3x Island Hermit
3x TV Reporter
3x Great Ball
2x Plus Power
2x Copycat
2x Team Galactic's Wager
2x Roseanne's Research
2x Warp Point
2x Cessation Crystal
2x Strength Charm

4 Double Rainbow Energy
10 Grass Energy

Varients
The only important diferance you may see if DREs switched for crystal beach. Some may run something like Absol, but that takes away the point of a speed deck.

Advantages
Generaly good against anything. It works best agains slow decks like Blissey, because they don't have time to realy load anything with energy.

How to Beat it
Fire types walk all over this deck. It can be easily beaten by any well played deck though, if the deck is fast.

DarkVile

Overveiw
A very powerful deck once it gets set up. often wins in games longer than 10 turns.

Sample List

2 Darkrai lv.X
2 Darkrai
3 Weavile SW
1 Weavile DP
4 Sneasle
4 Crawdaunt ex
4 Corpish

4 special Dark
7 basic Dark
6 Water

2 moonlight stadium
1 Crystal beach
1 Windstorm
2 premier ball
4 Bebe's
3 Roseanne's
4 Felicity's drawing
4 Team Galactic's Wager
1 Night maitinence
1 Warp point

Variants
Wigglytuff are common with Darkrai, so watch out. Also you will encouter decks that have a Pakia Lv.X to take advantage of Moonlight stadium, so be warned. Some decks run an attacker other than Crawdaunt, but most people find Crawdaunt the best.

Advantages
Good against any fire deck. Also works well against Banete, because of Dark Engage.

How to Defeat it
The best way to defeat it is in a T2 or T3 setup. You'll lose if it becomes drawn out. Sableye (I recomend 1 as a tech in anything) can be anoying if you Disable the only loaded Crawdaunt, and snipeing messes things up.

Tech Cards

Claydol

Use
Claydol is a card searching engine all on its own. Cosmic power can alow you to get extra cards, at the small expence of shuffleing some away (big deal). It makes it a key overall tech, in anything that needs a lot of cards.

Countering
Realy, all you can use is Cessation Crystal or SW Gardevoir.

Pachirisu

Use
This card has seen enough play for a lifetime. It grabs basic Pokemon very effectivly, and provides some protection against Pokemon Tools.

Countering
It may be good, but many people overuse it. Be ready to play at least one Pachi deck at regionals. Lucario is the best bet, beause of T2 Fighting attacks. There's no great basic Pokemon, but Sableye's disable can wreak their aceleration.

Please note that it'll be about another day before all the intended material is up. PM me if you want to help with this, or post an article for a deck that isn't up yet. I apretiate all help.

Last edited:
I'm going to move this to deck discussion since there is a full list here.

You have 6 celios, and i dont see claydol or the use of weavile on your list. Quick ball is especailly risky when you only play 2.. drop those and add in 2 stevens advice. Drop the special darnkess for a scramble, then drop the 2 basic dark for 2 multi. Then take out 2 of your 6 celios to add in another absol and a TSD (or tech card.) after those changes the deck should be running a lot smoother.

There is Celio & Bebe so practicalyl you can use 8 Celios, and it works...
Just because Celio was always resticted to 4 that doesn't mean that 4 is the magic number, using more than 4 works pretty good.

Well Yeah... Using Claydol Means that you should use more than just the 4 celios as staples. You want to be getting them as often as possible.

take out:
1 sableye CG
4 quick ball (you have to many pokemn to get the right one)
1 basic dark
1 gardivoir LV.X

add in:
1 absol
1 TGM
2 castaqay
1 strength charm
2 windstorm

that ban list is terribad......
YOU NEED all four shuppet to be CG
-3 pheobes
+3 lake boundary

-4 felic
+4 tvr

u need castaway and charm/pp

Banette PK is COMMON? Wow. What's happened to the format? And since when does a good Banette list use 2 Shuppet SW? No, it's more common to verse 4 CG. Don't tell people that they actually have hope of NOT facing a T2 Ban... they WILL, unless they start with one of their techs. Then they'll get a T3 at the latest. And Darkvile is an archetype since when...? This must've been only the 3rd or 2nd list I've seen, compared to all the G&G lists I've seen, Darkvile is very rare yo be seen. If it's an archetype, then so is Blissey varients, Lucario varients, Inferncatty, Hurricane, T2 Kriketune, and Empoleon. Oh, and for your Ban list, TVR is more common then Felcitty's, Lake Boundary is more common the Phoebe's, and Ceilio's is played. I'm not making fixes, I'm telling you what a good list looks like, and what to expect, which is the focus of this article.

Lol, sorry.

Anyway, I think you still need Blissey varients, Lucario varients, Empo varients, Flygon ex, Darktaria!!! (LOL), normal Inferncatty (just Infernape/Catty), and Plox. Plox may be considered G&G, but it has a different strategy. You might want to add something about Plox in there, so that if someone goes up against Plox, they won't use a Power-based strategy. And the following varients of Magmortar:

Fire TRUK
Blazemortar

Blissey:

Blisscario
Blissol
T2 Blissey
Blissvire
Banbliss
Blisskiss
Blissey/ANYTHING LOL

Empoleon:

Empocario
Disabled Psychic Penguins
Empoleon/Mismagius
Empoleon/Gardevoir
Swift Empoloen

This is a general WHAT TO EXPECT. This isn't how I'd run them, this is what's common.

Since the OP seems to be making a thread to showcase common decks and what they might look like instead of asking for deck critique this topic should probably be in the card strategy section.

True, Disruption is'nt all that great with Absol since you need to be lucky to pull out a Trainer to discard 1 extra.
Also, Raid is only good the turn Absol is played, which might just be not really well timed.

Back