Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Best Decks in the Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirbyking

There has been a lot of discussion about which decks are good, which decks are bad, and which decks are just plain wrong, but I'm not sure which deck is the best, consistency wise.

You can't really pin down a "best deck" there are multiple good decks that have their ups and downs when it comes to a variety of match-ups. The fact remains that there is no singular BDIF and that you can pick one of several decks and have an equally good chance of doing well. From a competitive perspective this favors deck building more than deck choosing. You can check the "what won cities" thread for a breakdown of what decks did well and where and there was actually a very solid article posted on PokeBeach that was recently nominated to the front page. It contains a grid breakdown of match-up percentages.

As far as a list of good decks goes...:

ZPST (I liked this one a lot more during cities but don't favor it States on, I wouldn't completely discredit it though).
Durant (A very solid choice for someone unsure of their format although I feel the luck factor and possible poor match ups make it a mediocre choice for a larger tournament like States. Again, would not disregard this deck).
Magnezone/ Eels (Right now I feel that this deck is one of the best choices, my only concern is Donphan, Terrakion, and Landorus).
Cake (It is a solid choice but I personally don't like it).
Chandelure (A tricky deck that has done considerably well, definitely a contender).

I would say that those are the best choices based on my personal experience. You can't really go wrong with any of them so happy testing.

You can't really pin down a "best deck" there are multiple good decks that have their ups and downs when it comes to a variety of match-ups. The fact remains that there is no singular BDIF and that you can pick one of several decks and have an equally good chance of doing well. From a competitive perspective this favors deck building more than deck choosing. You can check the "what won cities" thread for a breakdown of what decks did well and where and there was actually a very solid article posted on PokeBeach that was recently nominated to the front page. It contains a grid breakdown of match-up percentages.

ZPST (I liked this one a lot more during cities but don't favor it States on, I wouldn't completely discredit it though).
Durant (A very solid choice for someone unsure of their format although I feel the luck factor and possible poor match ups make it a mediocre choice for a larger tournament like States. Again, would not disregard this deck).
Magnezone/ Eels (Right now I feel that this deck is one of the best choices, my only concern is Donphan, Terrakion, and Landorus).
Chandelure (A tricky deck that has done considerably well, definitely a contender).

I would say that those are the best choices based on my personal experience. You can't really go wrong with any of them so happy testing.

I know most of these decks I just want other people's opinions. I am trying to make a tough decision of a deck for states/regs, and with the new set being released it makes it harder. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Magnezone is definitely the best card in the format, and probably next format, too. IMO, the best deck is Thunderdome.

I believe that "best deck" is ENTIRELY based on your Meta. If Durant is rampant, then tyram is gold. If mewtwo is king, then Durant is a solid play. You really have to guestimate what your meta will be before you can designate a BDIF.
Posted with Mobile style...

I believe that "best deck" is ENTIRELY based on your Meta. If Durant is rampant, then tyram is gold. If mewtwo is king, then Durant is a solid play. You really have to guestimate what your meta will be before you can designate a BDIF.

This poster pointed out something very important: A BDIF in one area may vary wildly from another area.

As far as a deck for states, play some decks, test some decks, pick the one you like the most and play that.

There will never be a BDIF, as all decks have weakness of some sort. Almost any lock is avoidable in some form, and no one card is necessarily better than another. It's not about the card, it's about how you use the card. Similarly, it's not about the deck, it's about the player. If you give a three-year-old a Durant deck, will they win against a Master playing a theme deck? Probably not. (assuming that a three-year-old has the attention span, of course)

Ok so you said zpst I think the t will become another z I think for zekrom ex

There will never be a BDIF, as all decks have weakness of some sort. Almost any lock is avoidable in some form, and no one card is necessarily better than another. It's not about the card, it's about how you use the card. Similarly, it's not about the deck, it's about the player. If you give a three-year-old a Durant deck, will they win against a Master playing a theme deck? Probably not. (assuming that a three-year-old has the attention span, of course)

This isn't at all true. Once you are of a certain level, the deck matters much more than the player. This is why net decking unfortunately works pretty well. A good 8 year old with Durant will beat a master playing a theme deck every time.

When there doesn't appear to be a BDIF, it's because no deck is so much stronger than the others that it can overcome the luck of the draw etc. to win at a much higher than 50% rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back