Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Bibarel - A Formidable Gengar Counter?

PokemansForGeeks

I was thinking the other day about some ways to get around the annoyances of Gengar and came to the conclusion that there were a couple of ways but none that were possible to base a deck around. Then I saw Bibarel and noticed he had an Unown G built in - basically ruining the whole premise of Gengar.

So, anyone ever attempt to build a competitive Bibarel deck? It seems to be a pretty decent metagame counter right now. It can be built like a Scizor deck to help with other matchups, but can also be added as a tech to other decks. Opinions?

Dialga G LVX will shut it off, so it would not be good against most Galactic decks. I have build a T2 Bibarel deck and it's pretty fast. It's like kingdra with one extra energy.

We're talking about a Stage 1, having 100 HP, dealing 60 for 2 Water energy, with the same body as Toxicroak G. Hmm. There's absolutely nothing stopping Gengar from Shadow Rooming your bench, nor from Poltergeisting you, nor from Fainting Spelling you, and he's outdamaged by just about anything in the metagame...yeah, further then a simple T2 deck, he won't go.

Let's say you run 4-4 Bibarel and 2-2 Claydol - you setup with the Claydol, let it die from shadow room, then go aggro Bibarel. The gengar player can't touch you except for poltergeist, which is extremely easy to manipulate;unless of course you get looker'ed and draw 5, but the matchup should still be good.

^you could only draw 1 with lookers if you want. you also have to worry about fainting spell, plus, you 3KO gengar if they nidoqueen in play.

^you could only draw 1 with lookers if you want. you also have to worry about fainting spell, plus, you 3KO gengar if they nidoqueen in play.

PlusPower/Buck's/Crobat G drops could get a 2HKO or even a 1HKO.

I built Bibarel some time ago. It was fun and disruptive.

As a deck it's largest limitation is damage output. 60 for 2 is cheap, but to 2 hit KO the 130 HP stuff you need to be running Buck's, Plus Powers, or both. The Fighting weakness is also problematic. Champ, Hippo, and the random Fighting SP pokemon can all get to the point where they OHKO Bibarels.

As a tech it's interesting in decks that already run a lot of water. I've seen it used in Kingdra for instance.

So if this deck is going to work are we using Skuntank G's to get past Fainting Spell?

Also how do you get past Flygon? The SW Flygon they tech will one shot it :nonono:

Back