Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Black Fire makes you choose one effect with Multi-type Energies?

Chairman Kaga

:fire::colorless Black Fire (40+)
You may discard a :fire: or :dark: Energy attached to Houndoom. If you discard a :fire: Energy, the Defending Pokemon is now Burned. If you discard a :dark: Energy, this attack does 40 damage plus 30 more damage.
The question is what happens if you discard a Multi-type Energy to activate the extra effect. While similar to Salamence SW's Dragon Finish, this effect is not restricted to discarding Basic Energy, so a Multi-type would be a valid discard to activate it.

My Judge Sense suggests that you can only choose one of the two effects in this case -- you may discard a :fire: OR :dark: Energy, implying that a choice must be made between the two effects.

(Also, apologies if this was answered in the PR FAQ -- I didn't make it to judge my PR this past Sunday due to illness.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Urrrrp! Excuse me, said the Dragon!

Yep, both effects trigger (burn & extra damage) from discarding, say, Multi Energy. It _is_ in the FAQ, but compare the Compendium EX rulings on Dragon Burst & Ancient Mantra for precedent. Interesting that Dragon Burst was an overrule of a prior, opposite ruling.

Back