Blaziken: Taken To The Next Level

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Jim Ferrell, Feb 16, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

Alright, after snagging third place at Delaware, Ohio's City Championship Saturday, I am going to post two different Blaziken decks. One is straight Blaziken/Delcatty/Rayquaza. The other is possibly the transition that Blaziken might need to change to because of Kingdra ex and increasing Crystal Shards.

First up,

Blaziken/Delcatty/Rayquaza
    E-On Format

Pokemon: 22
    4 Torchic (Firebreathing)
    3 Combusken (Winner)
    4 Blaziken (Firestarter)
    4 Dunsparce (Sandstorm)
    2 Skitty (Sandstorm)
    2 Delcatty (Energy Draw)
    2 Rayquaza ex
    1 Ditto (Skyridge)

Energy: 17
    13 Fire
    4 Electric

Trainers: 21
    4 Oracle
    4 TV Reporter
    3 Professor Oak's Research
    3 Rare Candy
    2 Switch
    2 Warp Point
    1 Professor Elm's Training Method
    1 Pokemon Nurse
    1 Town Volunteers

Okay. Now, I never liked the whole Rare Candy thing very much, but the concept is actually really good in this deck. Ideal setup is Dunsparce Turn One fills your Bench with 1 Torchic, 1 Rayquaza, and 1 Skitty. Your Bench, throughout the game should be 2-3 Blaziken, 1 Delcatty, 1 Rayquaza, and depending on KOs, mabye another Rayquaza or Ditto. Personally, I will not drop to 16 energy because energy is just to vital to be screwed with energy problems early. The more energy, the easier it is to get some in the discard early. Another new aspect that I like to use is 3/3 Rare Candy/Combusken. I like going 3/3 instead of the typical 4/2. That way you can go either or instead of depending on Rare Candy more than Combusken. Also, I like 2/2 Delcatty instead of 3/3. You don't need 3 Skitty because you fetch one with Dunsparce. And I dropped a Delcatty for an Elm's Training Method. Method pulls Delcatty or possibly Blaziken. It's sheer gold. I also like playing 1 Pokemon Nurse for healing. IF I drop one energy, it'd be for another Nurse. It's so good in this deck. I used to play 2 anyways. 2/2 Switch/Warp Point is good. As far as Crystal Shard goes, I'd rather have the Ditto. You can use Ditto as a 5th Dunsparce against Mirror or copy Wynaut's Alluring Smile early. And then there's the obvious reason to use as tecH vs Mirror. I also like Ditto because you can pull it with Dunsparce. The only downside is the cost of one Bench space which can be harmful. However, it only needs one Blaziken compared to two and the Shard to OHKO the Rayquaza. You can Firestarter with one Blaziken and attach an energy from your hand to Ditto for the OHKO instead of needing 3 Energy. It becomes a game of mental chess at that point anyways. Ditto should be used as a tactic when you and your opponent each have a Rayquaza in play. Once your opponent KOs your Rayquaza you KO theirs, and it's up to whomever can rebuild, however, you should be ahead on the prize advantage. Mirror vs mirror is very difficult no matter what anyways.

Next up is an idea spawned by LizardOTC. He gave me the idea and this is totally his idea, and it worked nicely for me at my CC. I used Aerodactyl ex to counter Crystal Shard. If Crystal Shard continues to get popular, Aerodactyl ex can be fitted into Blaziken decks. Decks without Crystal Shard cannot beat Rayquaza. If you take out Crystal Shard, you take out Ray's weakness. Along with a Shard of your own you seriously take over the metagame. By countering not only weakness, but also Mirror...

Blaziken/Delcatty/Rayquaza/Aerodactyl
    E-On Format

Pokemon: 23
    4 Torchic (Dragon)
    4 Combusken (Winner)
    4 Blaziken (Firestarter)
    4 Dunsparce (Sandstorm)
    2 Skitty (Sandstorm)
    2 Delcatty (Energy Draw)
    2 Rayquaza ex
    1 Aerodactyl ex

Energy: 17
    13 Fire
    4 Electric

Trainers: 20
    4 Oracle
    4 TV Reporter
    3 Professor Oak's Research
    2 Switch
    2 Warp Point
    2 Mysterious Fossil
    1 Professor Elm's Training Method
    1 Crystal Shard
    1 Town Volunteers

Now, like I said earlier. This deck counters Mirror AND can counter Crystal Shards. The strategy is the same as above except Ditto. Now, it is impossible to fit both Aerodactyl and Rare Candy into the same deck. Now as good as Aerodactyl ex can be, there are some problems. First, you have to physically draw both cards. You cannot pull Mysterious Fossil with Dunsparce, and instead of another Dactyl, I would rather play the Training Method. You only need ONE Aero anyways for Primal Lock to work. Also against Mirror, smart Blaziken players will use Fire Stream against your Mysterious Fossils, Tom (winner of the CC) did this to me.

Well, those are both Blaziken decks. I believe the first one is better than the one with Aerodactyl, because the first is quicker, more powerful. Yet Aero version is more tecHed and metagame style. Both work, I've used both. I grabbed 3rd with the Aerodactyl version and no testing against VICIOUS, so I mean, it's not that hard.

There you guys go, my newest project. It may not be Rogue, but whatever. I want to thank Chris Fulop and LizardOTC for the ideas and the advice. Thoughts?

~Jim Ferrell

2. Darkash

Darkash <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Wow. Just wow. I have to say that the second deck is very well made and impressive. Now:
    -1 Mysterious Fossil
    +1 Buried Fossil.
    As far as I know, it was ruled that Buried Fossil can evolve into Aerodactyl EX. And you can pull it with Dunsparce. You could go to two of them, dropping the Mysterious Fossil completely. However, with 2 of them, the possibility of the nightmare "Buried Fossil and nothing else, no draw" hand becomes a bigger possibility. Personaly, I'd go 1/1. Great deck otherwise, though.
    EDIT: You also might want to consider running one or more of the Target Torchic. It has 50 HP and does a 30 damage Ember attack, :fire: :colorless cost. Not only does it get energy in the discard, but it is a definate OHKO on Sheninja. Every little bit helps, right?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  3. Psyduck

Psyduck New Member

Nice decks, If I must say so.

Although, I am not impressed by the second one, with Aero Ex...It will work, but I think its trying 2 do 2 much with one deck...maybe???

I will agree with you 2 an extent. Some decks will have a hard time beating Ray w/o Crystal Shard if they can even do it at all? While another Blaze deck or a Mirror match, they will have no problem at all. All an Intelligent player has to do is FireStarter onto their Delcatty and attack with it, while leaving their Ray on the bench to do the clean-up work. Many other Blaze decks have Tails / Cuttor that can eaisly take out Ray w/o a Shard. Like you said though "it's up to whomever can rebuild 1st" when playing a Mirror.

I think both decks are built solid and they look awsome, I just don't care 4 the Aero verzion. Thats just our different playstyles though... :D

Congrats on the 3rd place victory! I still have another week for 1 and 2 weeks for the other, so I can't wait. I'll try 2 hit ya on AIM 2 talk about them this week.

Good Luck with the decks Jim,

Duck

4. skarmory777

skarmory777 New Member

Congrats on the 3rd place win at CC's.The deck looks very good and well rounded.Not really sure about the aerodactyl in the deck seems like it would slow it down more than help but it is a good counter against dragons.The crystal shard thing i'm gonna side with Psyduck on that one.Crystal Shard is helpful against dragons and prolly the most efficient way of takin them out but against a mirror deck you'll have some problems(then again any deck can get lucky and take out rayquaza,and you not get him back).Be sure to watch out for Kingdra ex(my fav.) and turbo gardys.

5. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

I'm not so sure that you can evolve Buried Fossil to Aerodactyl. Unless I missed some ruling somewhere. If you CAN, that makes Dactyl EVEN better because of Buried Fossil's auto ability to find it's own evolution through Reconstruction.

About decks that have their Shards taken away, it's EXTREMELY difficult to recover when your biggest attacker is OHKOed by Rayquaza and it slowly takes over the game. It does it time and time again. And if you hold back your main attacker, I can just Warp Point. If you send up Wobbuffet I can Warp Point or use Blaziken. Blaziken hits the Active and the bench, so it's just a matter of time before you are forced to attack with your biggest gun, and usually by that time Rayquaza IS build with 3 Fire and an Electric. (Mabye a 4th for Gardevoir ex or other exs).

Water cannot touch the Aerodactyl deck. You have resistance with Rayquaza. And if you eliminate Crystal Shard...gg.

Good thoughts guys, keep them coming. Again, if you CAN evolve Buried Fossil to Aero, that changes the deck a LOT for the BETTER. Can someone please provide a ruling?

Thanks,

~Jim

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  6. ToysRUsKid

ToysRUsKid Active Member

It says Kabuto Omanyte =/. Nice Tech Suprises here, really interesting, but my own personal thing, Candy is needed in Blaze though ;x in ur second deck .. enjoi ;x .. I'm also suprised you posted this here also .. Later.

7. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Venusaur has the right ruling. Not all decks need Shard to beat Rayquaza but many do. Aggron ex, Gard ex, Kingdra ex, Amphy ex come to mind as decks that count on Shard to beat Ray. Salamence or Flygon wouldn't be affected. A very interesting idea but good luck relying on a 2/1. If it does get popular then Shard players might switch to Ditto in a shift of power. Right now Shard is played more I think.

8. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

With the speed of Blaziken/Rayquaza decks, most decks cannot take the damage that a charged Rayquaza can deal that early in the game. Most decks crumble or have a hard time dealing when their main attacker goes down. Like Aggron ex, Gardevoir ex, Ampharos ex, etc. Without Crystal Shard, effectively the opponent MUST tecH in a Colorless Pokemon like Zangoose or Ditto. If they don't, then they are in a serious bind. Salamence and Flygon decks, although colorless and effective against Rayquaza, do seem unwieldy against most other decks. Mainly Gardevoir or Ampharos ex. Keep in mind however, that Flygon and Salamence (the better ones) also have colorless weaknesses as well.

I like the ruling on Buried Fossil being able to evolve into Aerodactyl, I had never heard that before. TO be able to pull Buried Fossil from the deck via Dunsparce is very nice, especially if you know you are facing Mirror.

Blaziken/Rayquaza IS the best deck right now, it's just so powerful. More powerful than nearly any other deck. You can dispute it all you like, but the numbers and CC winners continue to prove it again and again.

~Jim Ferrell

9. Victor

Victor New Member

El Blaziken se la rifa!!!!!!!!

Blaziken is my favorite pokemon

10. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

The second deck is best, IMO. Lizard plays something rather similar...

11. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

Hypno: Lizard prompted the idea for this deck. He came to be a while ago, and we were working on decks together and we each used the deck at our CCs. This deck was already seen at several CCs, so I decided to post and see what reaction I got.

So far, the only change I've made has been to the second one with Aerodactyl. And the only change ther is dropping Mysterious Fossil for Buried Fossil.

Does anyone have any other changes for either deck? Thoughts?

~Jim Ferrell

12. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

i don't know, i don't think that all of those decks absolutely depend on shard to beat RAY...... but it helps very nicely

i don't like aero that much because it's an easy prize because it can't do that much........

hmmm, well i don't think that the second deck will work that well

and also kingdra EX can screw over ur aero because aero's biggest weakness is the fossil.........

unless by some miracle you get both fossils out on one turn, then aero doesn't get out, hence the shards are still used against RAY

think about it........ and i have done this numerous times with my kingdra EX deck

a boost and a shard is 2 prizes against RAY, latios and latias..........

13. mozartrules

mozartrules New Member

I may be in the minority, but I think that Ditto is more of a threat than Crystal Shard so I am not convinced that the Aerodactyl EX route is worth the trouble. Ditto is easy to get early because most people play Dunsparce and can be a pretty flexible Pokemon (fun to start with against the opponent's Dunsparce or Wynaut). It is even easy to get in volume since one of the Skyridge theme decks (the one with Xatu) has four of them.

14. Freddy K.

Freddy K. New Member

hey Gymbo

I would not want to be forced to play Buried Fossil as my Starter Pokémon if it were the only one in my hand. You have a choice with Mysterious Fossil if it's the only card you can place first turn down as the Active.

Myself I'm running a 1-1 Aero line w/ Myst Fossil and it's only failed to come out once in around 10 or so games and in that game both were in the prizes.

See you on the decent boards ;)

~fK

15. Pablo

Pablo New Member

I can't see why ud need Aero EX, if BAR decks can mize everything without it, why would a Blazequazza deck need aero EX? if they KO and u can't power up a Ray in the next turn and KO back, its not a good Blazequazza deck. I'd just leave it with tons of warp points and switches and even warp energy.

16. Chris Pak

Chris Pak New Member

real cool deck. i would love to know what u would u do when Blaziken ex comes out. Over all, I love your deck

17. Jim Ferrell

Jim Ferrell New Member

I'll deal with Blaziken ex when it comes out. And this is the exact list I used to win the City Championship...

~Jim Ferrell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.