Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Building a New Team

I have been a TCG player for all my time with Pokemon (roughly 7 1/2 years), but I have been interested in building a team in order to compete in the VGC. I read Regis Neo's guide, and I came up with a team for me to use, but as I have no experience in this area, I need advice on whether it would be any good, or if I should scrap the idea and start anew.

The strategy is to use powerful pokemon (Regigigas and Slaking) that are deprived of their abilities in order to be more easily used, with some backup in case they run into trouble.

Here's a list in no particular order right of the bat: Cradily, Regigigas, Blissey, Slaking, Gallade, Beheeyem

Cradily - Timid Nature- EVs: 252 Speed, 128 Def, 128 Sp.Def Item: Yache Berry

Gastro Acid
Recover
Sludge Bomb
Protect

Ability: Storm drain

Regigigas - Adamant Nature- EVs 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP Item:Life Orb

Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Zen Headbutt
Crush Grip

Ability: Slow Start

Blissey - Careful Nature - EVs: 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sp. Def Item: Leftovers

Heal Pulse
Safeguard
Protect
Toxic

Ability:Healer

Slaking - Adamant Nature - EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def Item: King's Rock

Giga Impact
Encore
Rock Slide
Thunder Punch

Ability: Truant

Gallade - Naughty Nature - EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP Item ?

Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Hypnosis
Drain Punch

Ability: Steadfast

Beheeyem - Modest- EVs 156 Sp Atk, 252 Sp.Def, 150 Def Item:Quick Claw

simple beam
psychic
nasty plot
thuderbolt

ability: Syncronize

my trouble here is that cradily and beheeyem are too slow to be reilable all the time. Any replacement suggestions for them are welcome as long as they have simple beam, worry seed, or gastro acid. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Here is the changes I would make:
Change cradily's speed to Sp.Atk. - It is just too slow to take advantage of it. Also go Bold instead of Timid.
Code:
Cradily @ Yache berry
Bold nature, Storm drain, 252 Sp.Atk/128 Def/128 Sp.Def
Gastro Acid
Recover
Protect
Energy Ball/Wring out/Giga Drain (if it is straight from the Dream world)
drop blissey, because chansey is better with Eviolite. And if you are wanting any chance to survive ANY physical hit, you will need it. With this setup of EVs and Eviolite, you should have 357 HP, 62 DEF (93 with Eviolite), 126 Sp.Def (189 with Eviolite)
Code:
Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold/Impish nature, Serene Grace, 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Softboiled
Counter
Ice Beam/Body Slam (if you have access to Fr/Lg/XD)
Protect/Heal Pulse
Consider giving Regigigas Leftovers and give Slaking Shell Bell (if he is dishing the damage right?).

EDIT: For your issue of speed on the simple beam/worry seed/gastro acid bit - replace Beheeyem with Whimsicott! Prankster will give worry seed PRIORITY!
Code:
Whimsicott @ Focus sash
Timid/Modest nature, Prankster, 252 Sp.Atk 252 Speed, 4 HP
Worry seed
Helping Hand/Protect
Taunt
Energy ball/Grass knot

Last edited:
Just a few notes:

What exactly are you hoping to get with Timid on Cradily and max Spe EVs? At base 43, Cradily isn't going to outrun anything, I'd go with a defensive nature and EVs into HP.

For your team, I would choose between either Slaking or Regigigas; both honestly are almost identical, though I personally think Slaking has a slightly more dynamic movepool for attacking, not to mention it isn't essentially a "dead" turn when he attacks while Cradily hits him with Gastro Acid (as Regigigas will enter with its Atk halved). Bear in mind Fighting types and moves are very common here, so using both isn't exactly that great, in fact most of your team is weak to Fighting moves, which isn't good in any event, so I would drop Blissey even though Heal Pulse is nice, maybe pick up a partner with Helping Hand to boost Slaking/Regigigas' attacks even more. Movesets could use a bit of work, Slaking doesn't need Encore (nor is he ideal to use it since he should be running through things) and Giga Impact is a waste if you're getting rid of Truant, consider Return at max happiness instead.

Neither Gallade or Beheeyem are that great of an option here, both are rather slow and don't offer anything a superior Pokemon could probably provide, though Simple Beam from Beheeyem onto Slaking and then a Hone Claws from him could be cool in ways.

But yeah those are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. I'd ditch Gigas, focus more on Slaking and supporting him, and maybe having another decent sweeper in the wings to come in and clean up. Hope that helps a bit.

well do you think you can get a cress with TR?

lets see...

Cress=Cresselia

TR=Trick Room

Am I correct?

I could get one, but trick room would most likely do more harm than good for regigigas and slaking. with base speed of 100 and EVs poured into speed, they could easily end up going after other pokemon that they're meant to outspeed.

@ultimatedra: Whimsiscott sounds like it would be good. I never thought that cotton ball would amount to anything, but I stand corrected. Chansey over Blissey was something I didn't think about. I didn't even know eviolite was important in the games. I guess this all shows how much I don't know about Black and White. I was hoping for Cradily to be faster than Regigigas so that gigas could get his first move with non-slow start power. Defense is probably going to be better for cradily than having a speed a bit better than regigigas for one turn.

@regis neo: regigigas does have zen headbutt, but I see what you mean about all the fighting types. For Slaking, if I got rid of encore and giga impact, what would I replace the other with (if I used return)? Ice punch maybe?Whimsiscott will have helping hand, so if I get rid of blssey/chansey, what would it be replaced with (assuming regigigas was dropped for some sweeper)? Would it be a good idea to give gallade Heal Pulse, or should I just do something else for healing? Is Garchomp a good choice for a physical sweeper?

@ultimatedra: Whimsiscott sounds like it would be good. I never thought that cotton ball would amount to anything, but I stand corrected. Chansey over Blissey was something I didn't think about. I didn't even know eviolite was important in the games. I guess this all shows how much I don't know about Black and White. I was hoping for Cradily to be faster than Regigigas so that gigas could get his first move with non-slow start power. Defense is probably going to be better for cradily than having a speed a bit better than regigigas for one turn.

Whimsicott is amazing. It's ability is amazing. And it had a great showing last year. I would seriously drop Beheeyem for it. You will get the worry seed off before Regigigas, slaking, or most other pokemon get going. :biggrin:

And eviolite is an amazing item - perfect for pokemon like chansey & duskclops. Heck, I have seen successfully it used on pokemon like Golbat. A second look at the defensive basic pokemon could be worth a look at :thumb:

Oh, and Garchomp is ALWAYS a great choice for just about any team.

lets see...

Cress=Cresselia

TR=Trick Room

Am I correct?

yes you are correct btw there is To many fighting weaknesses (toxicroak and terrakion will be all over you)

and when it comes to EV training you can not have 510 Total evs it can only go up to 508

how about this

Cradily - BOLD Nature- EVs: 252 Speed,252 Def, 4Hp Item: Chople Berry

Storm Drain

Gastro Acid
Recover
Sludge Bomb
Protect

Regigigas - Adamant Nature- EVs 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP Item:Life Orb

Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Zen Headbutt
Crush Grip

Blissey - Calm Nature - EVs: 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sp. Def Item: Leftovers

Heal Pulse
Thunderbolt
Protect
Ice Beam

Ability: Serene Grace

Slaking - Adamant Nature - EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def Item: King's Rock

Giga Impact
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Thunder Punch

Beheeyem - Modest- EVs 156 Sp Atk, 252 Sp.Def, 150 Def Item:Quick Claw

simple beam
psychic
Protect
thuderbolt

Ability: Telephy

Cress Modest nature 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Speed Ice Gem

Helping Hand
Trick room
Icy Wind
Protect

Gallade - Adament Nature - EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP Item ??? GEM

Psycho Cut
protect
Sucker Punch
Drain Punch

Ability: Steadfast

i gave you 7 pokemon (i know)

so whats your main Stategy?

well... if I use some of the pokemon mentioned here, it looks like this might be good:

Slaking - Adamant Nature - EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def Item: Shell Bell
Return
Ice Punch
Rock Slide
Thunder Punch

Regigigas - Adamant Nature- EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP - Item: Leftovers

Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Zen Headbutt
Crush Grip

Chansey - Bold - EVs 252 HP/252 Defense/4 Sp. Def - Item: Eviolite

Heal Pulse
Softboiled
Counter
Body Slam

Ability: Serene Grace

Whimsicott -Modest- 252 Sp.Atk 252 Speed, 4 HP - Item: focus sash

Worry seed
Helping Hand
Taunt
Energy ball

ability: Prankster

Cradily - Bold Nature - 252 Sp.Atk/252 HP/4 Sp.Def - Item: Yache berry

Gastro Acid
Recover
Protect
Giga Drain

Ability: Storm Drain

Garchomp - Adamant - 252 Atk./252 Spe/4 HP - Item: Life Orb

Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Sword Dance
Dragon Rush

ability: Sand Veil

does this look good?

I'll give a strategy later but right now I have to go.

Last edited:
Chansey NEEDS to max out defense or none at all. Bold + 252 Defense.
Drop dragon rush from garchomp. Outrage, Earthquake, Crunch, Protect is what you should be around what you should run.

Chansey NEEDS to max out defense or none at all. Bold + 252 Defense.
Drop dragon rush from garchomp. Outrage, Earthquake, Crunch, Protect is what you should be around what you should run.

Agreed, Chansey has so much SpD anyways that pretty much anything not named Focus Blast deals fairly laughable damage to it (and even then it'd take a pretty dang powerful Focus Blast, likely STABed, to do much to Chansey).

I'm not that big of a fan of Outrage on Garchomp in Doubles though since it'll randomly target an opponent's Pokemon instead of one of your choosing, I'd rather go with Dragon Claw.

I messed up when I was typing a few of those. I was getting mixed up with pokemon for a few of those, I think. I edited them and they should be correct now.

---------- Post added 01/19/2012 at 07:15 AM ----------

Cradily does not need Yache berry, then again, I'm not sure how you are using it. Those EVs bug me.

what item should I give it in replacement? Would garchomp be better with yache berry, or is life orb good?

I messed up when I was typing a few of those. I was getting mixed up with pokemon for a few of those, I think. I edited them and they should be correct now.

---------- Post added 01/19/2012 at 07:15 AM ----------

what item should I give it in replacement? Would garchomp be better with yache berry, or is life orb good?

garchomp @ Yache is standard. Maybe go for chople berry on cradily instead.
And remember for you to get Body slam on Chansey, you have to tutor it in Fr/Lg/XD. Serene Grace + Body slam = 60% chance to paralyze.

so is the team I listed with the aforementioned changes the best it can be? I am also wondering if I should change regigigas's movepool. Any suggestions, or is it ready and able to compete?

If there is some way to test teams, then I would be happy to (just not right now). It will take me a while to get chansey and cradily ready, but when I do I'll let you know.

possible options to testing a team

PM me or someone here on the gym to help you

random battle on the PGL

try it out in a tounament

one last question: Are the two listed elemental punches the best for slaking? Each one costs 64 BP (not a fun process to obtain) to be tutored onto him. If they are not best for slaking, I would prefer to avoid grinding for BP at the battle frontier.

Just realized that Slaking's truant ability cannot be changed by Worry Seed, Entrainment, and Simple Beam.
So it looks like you will either focus on Regigigas with the worry seed or gastro acid the slaking.

Back