Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Canton, GA Report

Amt

This past week was one of the most fun times I've had in my 14 years of living on this wonderful planet we call earth. Why? I went to the Georgia marathon. This report will only be for day 7 (today) because I don't remember the other days too well. Anyway, whatever.

So I get to the Stevie B's Pizza and find my friend Box of Fail (Kevin C). He's been playing some weird Magnezone all week and I've been playing Gengar/Vileplume most of the week. We decide to trade decks! He already has the list written out, so less work for me, too!

5 Rounds and Top Cut of 4

Round 1: Me (Magnezone) vs. Michael M. (Magnezone/Electrode)
I get the superior start here. I start with Spiritomb and Collector going second. I'm able to get a Magnezone Prime up T2 and follow that with a T3 Super Connectivity Magnezone. His Magnezone deck was trainer based, so I just kept switching to Spiritomb. He never got much out do to the constant trainer lock. Good game, Michael! Sorry we couldn't have had a better one.

1-0

Round 2: Me (Magnezone) vs. Matthew B. (Kecleon/Cherrim/Blaziken FB)
So we set up and I know what he's playing because we had played against each other a few days ago. His deck consists of Kecleon, both the Cherrim that add damage done by Kecleon and reduce damage done to Kecleon and Blaziken FB. I open with a Spiritomb and Call Energy for a Magnemite and Magnemite I think. He gets a quick Kecleon going and KOs a few Spiritomb. Eventually I send up Magnezone Prime so I can do Lost Burn for tons of damage. He then brings up another Kecleon and flips for Triple Smash or whatever it's called. He forgets he has a Sunnyshore Gym in play, removing my x2 weakness (he had Lucario GL out) and is about 20 short of the KO. I then retreat and start Gyro Balling. At the end of the game he tries to stall with Blaziken FB's Luring Flame, however I have the energy in hand to retreat and am able to Lost Burn for 250 damage to take my final prize. Thanks for the good games this week!

2-0

Round 3: Me (Magnezone) vs. Bryson (Machamp/Donphan)
We shuffle and set up. Draw 6 cards, no basic. Draw one more.. Regice! Oh joy. I figure out he's playing Machamp because he mulligans twice. When he finally gets a basic, it's pretty terrible: Unown R. He got a horrid start. I went first and used Call Energy to get a Spiritomb and Magnemite. Next turn I played Warp Energy and got Spiritomb out. Played a Bebe's for a Magneton, evolved into it and Darkness Graced for a Magnezone Prime. My opponent pretty much just drew and passed for about 5 turns, allowing me to comfortably set up. Whenever he drew into a supporter I would just Judge or Looker's his hand away. He never got more than one Donphan and one Machoke out. Sorry for the bad start. Good game!

3-0

Round 4: Me (Magnezone) vs. Ty W. (LuxChomp w/ DGX tech)
Ty opens with Lucario GL and goes first. I open with Spiritomb and Call/Collector in hand, I think. This wasn't too great of a game for him, seeing as I was able to Judge and Looker's him every time he got a Cyrus or Bebe's/Collector. I got an amazing opening hand and was able to set up Manectric, two Gyro Ball Magnezone and a Magnezone Prime. I was also able to set up Kevin's super duper Gengar tech: Glaceon LV.X.
Not sure how much it really helped, but when I ran out of Spiritomb I just switched into it. Ty took 2 prizes with Azelf's Lock Up and one prize with Toxicroak G. At one point he used Toxicroak G and thought it would be a revenge kill but then I reminded him I didn't take a prize last turn. That allowed me to KO the Toxicroak G. He couldn't ever snipe my bench due to Manectric. There really wasn't much he could do, however, he did take 5 prizes. Good games this week Ty! Looking forward to seeing you and Tad at Nats!

4-0

At this point, Kevin and I are both undefeated with each other's decks haha.

Round 5: Me (Magnezone) vs. Kevin C. (Gengar/Vileplume)
There wasn't much to this game. He was able to Shadow Room pretty much everything I had and also Lost Zoned one of my Gyro Ball Magnezone. I prized my Water Energy and Glaceon LV.X, too. I eventually got them out and was able to Speed Slide for a prize. I flipped a tails, as usual, on Snow Cloak and that allowed him to KO Glaceon LV.X. At that point I had nothing that could attack aside from Manectric. I just Power Waved for a while but he was able to Seeker/Psychic Restore away my targets. When I KO'd the Gengar he got heads on Fainting Spell and that pretty much sealed the game. Good game Kevin!

So I know I'm in top 4 for sure, and we figure out it's:
1: Kevin C. (Gengar/Vileplume 5-0)
2: Ann-Marie T (Magnezne 4-1)
3: Ty W. (Luxchomp 4-1)
4: Brandon C. (Gengar/Jumpluff)

We turn in our decks and wait forever for them to start. Apparently this nitwit named Kevin C forgot to write "4 Spiritomb" on his decklist and was forced to use 4 Psychic Energy instead. So good.

I face Ty again for top 4.

Game 1: Not much of a game. I prize 2 Magnemite and 2 Magneton, show Kevin my prizes and he laughs at me. Ty, on the other hand, opened Dialga G and had a T3 Dialga G LV.X. I lost pretty quickly.
Game 2: I prize two Magneton, get a horrid hand and can't do much.

Good games Ty. I enjoyed playing against you this week. You gave me some great games. Also enjoyed meeting your brother and seeing your mom again!

Somehow Kevin managed to win against Jumpluff/Gengar without using any Spiritomb. We're all pretty amazed. Kevin just scoops before even trying T2 against TY lol.

I had such a fun week at the GA Marathon. This is truly the one week I look forward to every year! :)

Props:
- the staff (Craig, TJ, Tymon, Jenni, Rick, James, Greg, Gary) - you guys were amaaaaaaazing. Most of the tournaments ran very smoothly. Thanks for such grate tournaments!
- Kaitlin and Justin: glad I met you guys. You're pretty awesome!
- Zach M and his Dad: Love seeing you guys at Nats and Worlds. Glad you came down to GA this year!
- Kevin C and family: lol you guys are great.
- Ty and family: enjoyed playing against you guys and seeing you again. Good luck this season!
- everyone who let me borrow cards for my Yanmega/Scizor deck. We all know how great that was!
- Dad for taking me

Slops:
- uh... none?

Last edited:
GJ down in GA! I thought I had recognized you while there. I was the guy who played Evan M 5 times throughout the marathon.

I had the honor of Judging a top cut between Ann-Marie and Kevin during the GA Marathon in Roswell. If you get a chance to watch them play, do so. They are fun people, and very high level players. Imagine what it takes to go to Canton and decide to swap decks in the morning and then both of you end up in top cut with each other's decks. What an amazing command of the game that takes! Congrats to you both.

Let me also add my own thanks and kudos not only to Tymon and Greg for their (as usual) splendidly run tournaments and for asking me to judge for them, but to everyone involved in putting on what amount to a "States" tournament every day during the Marathon. We had players from 20 states here and I believe the Marathon set records for the largest "Cities" tournament in the world. Again. This is a huge accomplishment and all of you are to be congratulated.

GJ down in GA! I thought I had recognized you while there. I was the guy who played Evan M 5 times throughout the marathon.

Thanks! Yeah, that was pretty lame. I enjoyed watching you play against him, though.

Old Amber said:
I had the honor of Judging a top cut between Ann-Marie and Kevin during the GA Marathon in Roswell. If you get a chance to watch them play, do so. They are fun people, and very high level players. Imagine what it takes to go to Canton and decide to swap decks in the morning and then both of you end up in top cut with each other's decks. What an amazing command of the game that takes! Congrats to you both.

Let me also add my own thanks and kudos not only to Tymon and Greg for their (as usual) splendidly run tournaments and for asking me to judge for them, but to everyone involved in putting on what amount to a "States" tournament every day during the Marathon. We had players from 20 states here and I believe the Marathon set records for the largest "Cities" tournament in the world. Again. This is a huge accomplishment and all of you are to be congratulated.

Thanks! One of the best Judges Kevin and I have ever had. :)

Thanks for that!

By the way, I think you had to leave before Masters finished, but I went into top cut as the only Master that was undefeated (6/0). That felt really good with all the Nationals and Worlds winners that were there. In top cut I played against Josh and his Gengar/Vileplume. Game 1 I scooped after waiting too long to catch him with a Palmer to Portrait. 2nd game I won, 3rd game I had 2 Mew and 3 energy in my prizes with a Skitty start and time was called just as Josh got his whole bench set up and I still didn't have a Rhyperior in the Lost Zone. Josh is an excellent player and a lot of fun to play. He is a gentleman and plays very consistently. When I left to take the kids home to my bride I saw he and Stephan (am I spelling that right?) playing the final match. I played Stephan in regular play and judged him in top cut in Lawrenceville so I know that was a mirror match. I hope one of them posts.

It was really nice to be the best for a couple of hours, but I am pleased to see any of these guys win. They are all better players than I am. Come see us for States.

Thanks for Coming Down to Georgia again Ann-Marie....!!!

Players of your talent and disposition are what makes this Marathon
really good. Many Thanks for always being a part of it.

Thanks also to your Dad and GrandDad for making this happen for
you.

You and Kevin are totally AWESOME...!!! Talking about having FUN..??
You Guys Really Know How to Have Fun and be Cool about it.

What a Way to Start off 2011....A Week in Georgia Playing Pokemon...

See You Guys and Gals on the "Pokemon Trail",

GrandDaddy:lol::thumb:

I'm still gonna bite you Ann-Marie... Sooner or later... :p

Well anyways, congrats to both you and Kevin for doing so well. See ya at Nats!

Hey, it was really fun seeing you in GA. Gratz on your epic skills with Magnezone and sorry about the prizes vs Ty.

Oh and I doubt I will ever play Gengar again ;)

The reason why Kevin lost in top 2 is because he was thinking about his babes.

For some reason, I am unable to thank this post (or I would). You're so right too. ;)

By the way, I think you had to leave before Masters finished, but I went into top cut as the only Master that was undefeated (6/0). That felt really good with all the Nationals and Worlds winners that were there. In top cut I played against Josh and his Gengar/Vileplume. Game 1 I scooped after waiting too long to catch him with a Palmer to Portrait. 2nd game I won, 3rd game I had 2 Mew and 3 energy in my prizes with a Skitty start and time was called just as Josh got his whole bench set up and I still didn't have a Rhyperior in the Lost Zone. Josh is an excellent player and a lot of fun to play. He is a gentleman and plays very consistently. When I left to take the kids home to my bride I saw he and Stephan (am I spelling that right?) playing the final match. I played Stephan in regular play and judged him in top cut in Lawrenceville so I know that was a mirror match. I hope one of them posts.

It was really nice to be the best for a couple of hours, but I am pleased to see any of these guys win. They are all better players than I am. Come see us for States.

You are the man - heck of a player, heck of a judge. Hope to see you at Nats. Amazing job topping in a field of 20-year-old Pokémon pros, and thanks for your amazing judging ;).

You and Kevin are totally AWESOME...!!! Talking about having FUN..??
You Guys Really Know How to Have Fun and be Cool about it.

Thanks for your approval (and nice vague wording! xD)

Back