Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cards that gain/lose strength in EX-on format

Spectreon

Cards that gain/loose strength in EX-on format

Okay, everyone is ready for this new format, or are they... of the cards we know, which are set in stone since they are already released and are ruled on, which cards loose power and which gain....

Starting off with my new fave... BEWARE....

Absol- This thing is okay now, but once we lose deck healing and shuffling cards, this thing is PURE EVIL!!! This will keep draw cards at bay, it requires 1 energy, attacks for 0 daamge and will generally cost an opponent who draw alot the game. There is no POR, Cat, Shaman, or TV. We will see alot of large hands, and with Absol, we will see alot of destroyed hands....

my favorite choice... which is better in the ultimate battle for Draw....

Linoone vs Delcatty- Delcatty without Oracle is all about luck, and while you draw you must be weary of Absol... you have to keep your hand size down, or it can and will cost you big. Also the loss of Fisherman and TV forces you to use other cards with Catty for getting energ yback. Luckily DR Magneton and Energy Recycle System are here to help, so not too bad off..... Now Linoone on the other hand just gets Uuber like. No discard, it uses an attack, but early game it isnt a big deal anyways, since set up generally takes 3-5 turns now adays anyways.... You put ANY 2 cards in hand, and there is little opponent can do about it... only stuff like Mightyena or simular attacks can randomly discard a single card from hand, so it takes luck, just make sure what you use helps keep hand size down, or Absol will be just as cruel.... and Linoone is easy to help tech anti Absol as well, by adding a SS Linoone to the mix, and fetching discarded cards back to hand....

Wynaut- Same as Linoone, people already like using this guy, and there is no Shaman to screw it now....

Dunsparce becomes the Cleffa of the new format...

The new "Babies" i.e. Elekid and Azurill become much better, possibly to the point of broken in the right deck.

IMO, Swampert becomes better because there is no Shaman to screw it over, and many of the big decks of the format lose much of their speed, something that Swampert is severely lacking in.

You forgot Skarmory(dr). It has the same first attack of Absol, but uses metal, ofcourse. I still like absol better (better ruby/saphire pokedex info ;) ) Anyway, you got pretty much it.
nobody<

Yes those pokemon will be broken when the shaman and other cards in modified are gone but it also means unlimited will be alot more popular at tournament.

~Seth~

Why play Absol when you can play Skarmory? There isn't a reason I can think of to use Absol besides maybe you prefer Prize Count over Power Count, or if you're running a darkness deck, or its resistance to psychic, which is pretty heavily played. My stand is, if you're not playing a darkness deck, don't play Absol, play Skarmory! Why Absol? It's rarer and it's first attack isn't nearly as good as Skarmory's.

You have got to be kidding... read the freakin cards....

Skarm, M (whatever it is called)- If opponent has 6 or more cards in hand, choose til they have only 5, opponent SHUFFLES them into their deck.....

Absol, D (BAD NEWS)- If opponent has 6 or more cards in hand, choose til they have only 5, DISCARD all chosen cards....

Now with no Town Volunteers, or shuffle cards to condense hands, one severaly hurts opponents hand while other just shuffles it for future use.... While Skarm is a good card, its in no way shape or form better, especially in the new inviroment of EX-on, just taking its first attack vs Absol's....

Oops. I completely overlooked that fact. That's what I get for thinking :eek: Im terribly sorry. Another card that will/might gain popularity is the aqua/magma grunt or whatever, the one that is slightly similar to tv reporter. Again, terribly sorry, ill try not to think again, ever :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
nobody<

I like the Absol because (a) as pointed out, it DISCARDS rather than shuffles, (b) weak to Fighting (not commonly a problem compared to Skarmory's weakness to Fire, which is pervasive), (c) resistant to Psychic (commonly played, compared to Skarmory's Grass resistance), and (d) you can pump up the damage with additional Darkness energy.

I guess I'm not convinced that we'll see larger hands though. But he's a nasty card.

---

To Whom it may concern,

Please immediately cease and desist using the term, or any derivative of, EX-On for describing the new format of the Pokeman trading card game. Exxon is a registered trademark of the ExxonMobile Corporation.

Should you desire to use another trademark as a description of this format, we recommond Texaco, BP, or Shell.

Salutations,

Farquar T. Philbas III, Esq.
General Counsel, ExxonMobile Corporation

I use E-X-on, not Exxon... I dont need a fill up, but if its free I will take it.... How is E X on infringing on Exxon, and it is even typed EX-on missing an x, and has a -.... that makes no sense.. thanx for the laugh though.... though if I was choosing a competiton gas company, I personally would go with 711/Citgo, since I unfortunatly work there....

Yeah, Absol is far superior......

Energy Recycle System will see more play with the absence of Fisherman, it is one of the few deck healing cards left.. though it only works for basic energy.

this is more of a look to the future of what is very likely to happen... but prolly not til ADV 5 is out here.... it simply a foresight on what will gain power and what loose steam...

Spectreon said:
You have got to be kidding... read the freakin cards....

Skarm, M (whatever it is called)- If opponent has 6 or more cards in hand, choose til they have only 5, opponent SHUFFLES them into their deck.....

Absol, D (BAD NEWS)- If opponent has 6 or more cards in hand, choose til they have only 5, DISCARD all chosen cards....

Now with no Town Volunteers, or shuffle cards to condense hands, one severaly hurts opponents hand while other just shuffles it for future use.... While Skarm is a good card, its in no way shape or form better, especially in the new inviroment of EX-on, just taking its first attack vs Absol's....

Hey Absol's first atack doesn't let you choose ypu have to randomly choos cards from there hand without looking and discard it Skarmory on the other hand lets you look so you can get rid of better cards

Ok I forgot at random, actually didnt realize Skarms let you look first.. but the ability to discard is what makes Absol stronger... by shuffling cards, even at your choice, back into deck, you give your opponent the abilty to draw them later... not much will get it back if discarded....

davechri said:
I like the Absol because (a) as pointed out, it DISCARDS rather than shuffles, (b) weak to Fighting (not commonly a problem compared to Skarmory's weakness to Fire, which is pervasive), (c) resistant to Psychic (commonly played, compared to Skarmory's Grass resistance), and (d) you can pump up the damage with additional Darkness energy.

I guess I'm not convinced that we'll see larger hands though. But he's a nasty card.

---

To Whom it may concern,

Please immediately cease and desist using the term, or any derivative of, EX-On for describing the new format of the Pokeman trading card game. Exxon is a registered trademark of the ExxonMobile Corporation.

Should you desire to use another trademark as a description of this format, we recommond Texaco, BP, or Shell.

Salutations,

Farquar T. Philbas III, Esq.
General Counsel, ExxonMobile Corporation

Fighting is coming back in the next set ;) . I got this great deck that knocks it out. I still like the card, but not over skarmory.

Skarmory lets you choose which cards to shuffle it back in, Absol's is completely random. I don't like this aspect of Absol's attack, because it's all about luck.

that argument is all about what you want to do. Do you want to severely mess up the opponent temporaraly, or do you want to minorly mess him up perminantly?

but see Jerms, this is where Blaze gets hit the hardeest after Exp, AQ, and SK are rotated out. with no Orcale, BAR or its variant actually slows down.... and keeping Absol as a shock factor rather than just dropping it into play will catch a lot of Blaze Ray players off gaurd, well after they have tried for several turns to Catty/Reporter whatever into there hands... Dont get me wrong, this will still be one of the, if not the strongest deck in the new envirement, but this card will be so much fun....

Ok here is my opinion on the Ab vs Skar.....Absol wins.....and far as the format i believe that BAR and its varients will still be top contenders even if they lose most of their draw trainers but dont forget it still has a huge speed advantage and draw every turn with catty and energy retrivel with magneton :)

Back