Chad's T64/T32 Pods U.S. Nats Report Thingy

Discussion in 'National Championships' started by Scizor, Jul 1, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Scizor

Scizor New Member

I decided to go with Eeveelutions/Magmortar after much testing. Heck, I even had this back in October when we were speculating about the Eeveelutions. Too bad it didn't come out until Majestic Dawn. Coming into Nats, I knew I just had to win 7 games to clinch a ranking invite. I had no intention of dropping and was going to play it out and see how far I could go. So, here we go:

R1 vs Steve Silvestro (Banette/Blissey):
    Of course I get a pro R1, why wouldn't I?! This was just lame. I start my lone Holon Castform and he starts with Unown Q. He doesn't find a Cessation for awhile and by the time he does, I have the Windstorm waiting. Basically his start wasn't too great and I'm able to get a ton of Energy on the field and clean up with Leafeon X/Magmortar throughout the game.

1-0

R2 vs ??? (Empoleon):
    All I remember was it was a girl from Ohio. My start is just awful this game. I'm forced to Mimic several times. Luckily, her start is pretty eh, too. She eventually gets up 2 Claydols and starts taking 3-5 minute turns, so I call a judge over. She takes a prize lead, but I finally get some stuff going and overwhelm her with Leafeon X/Magmortar. Time is called, but I was winning very quickly due to my 30 second turns.

2-0

R3 vs Eric Blache (Empoleon):
    I think that's how you spell his name. Sorry if I screwed it up. This game was just awful. I am again Mimicing several times. I literally didn't see a Supporter the entire game. I Mimic for 5 T2 or 3 I believe and see no Evolutions/Supporters. Mimic for 9 the next turn, again NONE. He got a T2 Empoleon on top of this and just destroyed me. Lame, considering my deck rolls Empoleon when I actually set up.

2-1

R4 vs ??? (GG):
    I was playing some kid using GG, don't remember the name. Basically I get a decent start to his decent start and he makes the misplay of not reading Espeon/forgetting and declares one prize flip with Psychic Cut. This ended up sealing the win for me (I was going to get it anyways, just don't know on time), as I was able to set it up to where I could Flame Bluster his Claydol for the prize lead whenever I wanted. His 3-5 minute turns resulted in time being called when we both had only drawn 2 prizes and I Flame Blustered ftw.

3-1

R5 vs Ben Sauk (Empoleon/Bronzong):
    Great, another good player. This game was quite possibly the worst I've played in any tournament. I start with Baltoy and have Claydol in hand but no Supporters or anything else playable. I'm going first, so I just attach a Fire and pass. He has like a Piplup and a Baltoy, Wagers me, I win it and look at hand: Bebe's, Leafeon, Leafeon, Vaporeon, Energy, etc. I'm like, wow. He has utter garbage and like does 10 and nothing else. I top deck the Claydol, get a T3 Leafeon X and Leaf Guard for 5 prizes as he continually sends up basics while drawing nothing. He finally gets up an Empoleon and I OHKO it with Verdant Dance FTW.

4-1

R6 vs Josef Bolton (Banette/Blissey):
    Oh yay, a friend and a good player. =_= I'm forced to grab Chatot with my awful hand and Mimic a few times. He Warps out my Chatot to KO an Eevee or something and I still haven't seen a Bebe or Celio (I Play 6 =/) after 8 turns. All I have is like a Magmar with 2 Fire and I'm top decking trash. He gets up 3 prizes on me and I top deck an Espeon to get a KO on his Banette. My prize is a Magmortar. Next turn I'm able to play an Energy and promote Magmar, evolve and take a prize. The prize is a Bebe's, finally and I have the Windstorm in hand. Get rid of his Cessation, Steven's for a bunch of cards and get Leafeon X and Magmortar going. I come all the way back and win 6-4 on prizes.

5-1

R7 vs Eric Cloninger (Eeveelutions):
    I again start trash and so does he. We're literally Mimicing for the first 4 turns. I Bebe and grab Claydol and while I'm looking through my deck I noticed both my Leafeons are prized and 1 Magmortar =\ I'm forced to use Vaporeon's Cleanse Away to grab a prize. The first one is Leafeon *points to God* and I eventually get setup and take control. Game was taking forever and he made a couple game errors. He actually scooped to me as time was called but I had the game.

6-1

R8 vs James Fontes (GG):
    James is a friend of mine from California. We go to like all the same tournaments and such. This was by far my best start of the day. I get a T2 Claydol with Leafeon/Magmortar and basically steamroll his terrible start. That's always how it goes, I guess. He really couldn't get much going the entire game. Oh well.

7-1

At this point I'm pretty excited considering I'm automatically in the cut and with my opponents that I had been playing, I felt really good about my invite chances regardless.

R9 vs Ian Ryave (GG):
    So, I get paired up with the only 8-0 in our pod. I start with garbage yet again and he gets T2 Psylock on me. I scoop after I'm forced to play a Chatot as my 4th benched pokemon to try to set anything up and it gets Dusknoired immediately. Ridiculous. Whatever!

7-2

So I make the cut as the 13th seed and look down to see who I'm playing.....Of all people in a T64 I get Jason? Of course it's ANOTHER GG and it happens to be one of the best players in the World. Great! I would have liked to have played something else, obviously. Anyways:

T64 vs Jason "Ness" Klaczynski (GG):
    Game 1: He pops a T2 Psylock on me. My start is OKAY, not great. At one point in the game I could have turned things around when I sent up an Espeon, but I whiff Scramble and DRE and scoop a little later.
    Game 2: He gets a T3 Psylock while I naturally whiff Claydol or one of my 6 Bebe/Celio on T2 and T3. My hand is terrible throughout the game until I get up a Magmortar X, but by then he's up 3 prizes and even if I were able to get it to 1-2 prizes, Dusknoir swings for game.

So, that's it. I wish I could have actually not gotten paired up the last round and then face Jason in T64 as I felt like I could have done a lot better vs anyone else in the cut. Eric Craig ended up losing in T16 to Empoleon but would have instead faced Colin if the pairings were correct, which should be a good matchup. Fulop also lost to Jason in T32 because his Magmortar X was prized. We had basically everyone do well with the deck, but GG is just soooo donkey and anyone can win with it. Truly makes the format a joke. I love EVERYTHING else about it. I'd have had to face Fulop and then Mikey, what a gauntlet that would have been. I don't think I could have possibly had it any harder.

It's been a great and fun season and it looks like I'm in good position for a ranking invite. 7 events and a 42-9 record, 4 more games than last year and 4 more wins. Everyone knows my story here and it feels pretty good to be going back to Worlds after all the stuff I put up with. Peace! And props and slops:

Props:
    - The Nationals Staff for putting on an AMAZING event all around and handling everything with class
    - A better system year by year
    - Magmortar
    - Leafeon
    - Kyle "Pooka Sucevich" <3
    - Chris Fulop, Eric Craig, Chris "TRUK" Silver, Mike Pramawat, Luke Reed, Bobby Malec, Drew Holton, and anyone who helped me or the deck during the season
    - Jeremy and Garrett
    - Matt Chin
    - Kant
    - Mikey
    - Chaeffur
    - 500+ Masters players. Seriously amazing. And people say this game is dead!
    - ANYONE and EVERYONE else!
    - The Top Cut.com and our performance!

Slops:
    - Not advancing past T64
    - God-like opponents
    - Going 1/11 on Call Energy starts
    - Going 2/11 on Eevee starts
    - Mathematics!
    - Drew Holton not winning

I'll add the other days later, see you all in Orlando!

- Chad

2. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

GJ on T64, nice to see that your going to get that invite you've been going on about. lol ;)

I agree with you 100% that drew should have won. :(

3. mca3

mca3 New Member

Matt Chin, lol!!!

Great Job, dude!

4. ShadowTogetic

ShadowTogetic New Member

Good job, Chad

See you in Florida
    <3

5. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Thanks for everything Chad, I'm glad you finally got the invite.

6. Nu Gundam

Nu Gundam New Member

Congrats on the invite Chad, hope I can T4 in Nats on Saturday so I can see you guys down in Orlando again. (Seriously, you people made Origins for me)

7. the_sniper

the_sniper New Member

Glad you got your invite Chad- you deserve it!

8. desert eagle

desert eagle New Member

grats
    see you at worlds!

9. Lawman

Lawman Active Member

Congrats Chad. I hope the invite is in the bag. See you in FL

Keith

10. PokeDad

PokeDad Forum Moderator

Well Chad, Charlie and I followed your t-64 cut here on the Gym from back in California. We were pulling for you, and all the other Nor Cal players we know to do well. Congratulations on a really solid Nats, we'll see you in Orlando.

11. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

OMG I got props, nice job chad.

12. Kenshin's Garde

Kenshin's Garde New Member

hey chad! nice report and you BETTER GET THE INVITE!!!! >=)

oh and thanks for the Island Hermit idea! it was SOOOOOOOOOOOoo the play! ;P

13. HoennAsh

HoennAsh New Member

Good job on doing well at Nationals. Too bad that both of us made it and lost in top 64. I'll see you at Worlds!

14. Raichu2063

Raichu2063 New Member

chad it was great to meet u. I had a fun time owning in football with u and congratz on the invite u deserve it!

-Garrett

15. Bolt

Bolt New Member

hey man gj on the invite. good luck at worlds! :)

:) :) :) :) :) :)

16. Jason

Jason New Member

congrats chad, hope to represent thetopcut in orlando :D

17. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

Orlando here we come<3

18. desert eagle

desert eagle New Member

"sixty" - THE ROCK

ugh JJ =(

19. metalbird

metalbird New Member

Gratz on your invite, and possible slops Loud Speakers??? lol well cya there i guess.

20. eriknance

eriknance New Member

Glad to see you get in man. Great playing.