City Championship Info Now Up!!

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by TheCrossFormatKid, Dec 5, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCrossFormatKid

TheCrossFormatKid New Member

from http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/premier_events.html

Upcoming Events!

Pokémon-e TCG 2004 City Championships

Announcement date: 12/03/2003

Win Big! Pokémon-e TCG City Championships are headed your way!

Pokémon USA, Inc. (PUI) is pleased to announce the City Championship Tournament program, to be held across North America in February 2004. This program will allow players to compete in their hometown for the title of Pokémon-e TCG City Champion! We're announcing this program early, in order to give tournament organizers and storeowners the chance to submit applications to host and run these events in their cities.

City Championship Tournaments will be sanctioned Modified Constructed Pokémon-e TCG Tournaments1 held in local gaming and hobby stores. Each tournament will consist of at least 24 players, and prizes will be awarded to the top players in each of three age categories: 10 and under, 11 - 14, and 15 and up. The first place winner in each age category will also receive a special City Champion VIP package when they attend their State's Championship Tournament in April.

Because of the nature of this program, only one City Championship Tournament will be held in any given city. Applicants will be selected based on their proposed venue, the experience of the applicant and their judging staff, as well as their previous participation in Pokémon Organized Play programs. Applicants who are currently Premier Tournament Organizers, Sanctioned Tournament Organizers, or participate in Professor and League programs will be given preference over applicants who are not currently involved in Pokémon Organized Play programs.

The preferred venue for the City Championship Tournaments is a local game and hobby store with seating for 50+ players, that is safe and considerate to children. Other acceptable venues include public locations like schools, community centers, and mall areas where the seating and security issues meet the standards for running POP sanctioned events.1

Accepted City Championship Tournament Organizers are expected to market their event on a local level. To aid in this marketing, PUI will provide a customizable flyer and an online City Championship Event Locator in addition to our national print and web advertising campaigns.

An individual may apply to run City Championship tournaments in several cities (a separate application must be received for each proposed City Championship Tournament), but qualified applicants in their home-towns may be given preference over applicants from other cities.

Click here to fill out your application to run a City Championship Tournament. All Entries must be submitted by 4:00 PM PST on 12/19/2003; applications received after that time will not be accepted.

Click here to apply to hold a City Championship

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  2. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

I would assume as much. Otherwise people from the suburbs couldn't participate in events in the city.

3. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

well hot darn, this is some FINE news! Guess it's time to be a Very Imporant Person again, eh? ;)

4. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

Exciting isn't it? It will be interesting for Colorado for me and SteveP to get tournaments in Denver, Fort Collins and Colorado Springs combined. Well at this pace the gym ladder doesn't seemed to be in plan anymore.

5. Yeeeehaw! Glad to hear this news!

Let's hope all goes well with this when it's all finally hammered out.

6. Baboon

Baboon New Member

Nice to see it'll be Constructed. ;) Not that they'd go Sealed Deck, but Constructed is definitely my better point. Now I just have to hope they have one in the Lehigh Valley, PA... If not, it'll be another trip to Exton. ;-p
    Good to see they're not wasting time between tournament series, as the Dragon ones just wrapped up. :)

7. ToysRUsKid

ToysRUsKid Active Member

yay! finnaly ... *does happy dance*, ill be going around to some stores if SOMEBODY doesn't want to do it =/...

8. SuperSaiyanEevee

SuperSaiyanEevee New Member

Like everyone else, Yaaaay! :) My last big tourney if I remember was Comic-Con *good memories :)* I guess its time to start building some powerful *ROGUE* decks :p If of course, I am able to attend one ;)

~Eevee

9. Cooltrainer Aaron

Cooltrainer Aaron New Member

Boo-yah! Its about time. But I'm worried that there isn't enough support in Pittsburgh to have a City Champ here. I'd start one of my own but then I wouldn't be able to compete.

10. Tyranitar666

Tyranitar666 New Member

This is great news. I am in love with what Nintendo has done so far in every way shape and form. They have yet to screw up in my eyes, well, besides printing a few cards, but thats TPC's fault for making them :p

Lets just hope I manage to win one! Har Har.

11. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

Well, in the last round of Dragon Prereleases, there were 25 cities with 24 or more participants. I wish PUI would be a little more clear on what happens if 24 people don't show up.

12. farbsman

farbsman New Member

My only problem is this. Right now I am located right on the border of Indiana and Michigan. This is where I usually run the pre-releases and probably where I will try to run a city championship. So if I have players from the state I am not running the city championships in, do I have to turn them away?

13. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

Guys, remember that this is not an official board anymore. If you want answers, you'll have to ask directly. Man, we really need a public offical weekly chat.

Anyway, I assume the out-of-staters would be okay. Otherwise cities like NY, DC, and St. Louis would be in a lot of trouble.

14. Scizor

Scizor New Member

Well it is about time! February tournies eh? Well as long as i am able to attend one in California (my state) its all good. State Championships in April too! That must mean that worlds really is in June like someone else stated earlier. Hmmm great stuff. Nintendo is doing their job marveously and continues to look great.

15. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Man, there's currently only one place in my region that can satisfy the 24-player minimum (I assume that's 8 in each age group, or maybe not), and the 50-seating minimum. Put, it sounds like there's no geographical residence requirement (such as you must live inside or near the city limits). So, all CO players (and neighboring states, ie WY) are welcome to play in the Colorado Springs City Championship, which is probably were it will be in our region.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  16. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

Yes, there are no leagues in Denver that meet these precise needs, however my League in Fort Collins is growing, and I know that some Denver players will come to either Colorado Springs or Fort Collins (or both if possible), and participate in these. It sounds like prizes are going to be decent for these events. So overall I am going to try to get Fort Collins as a selected city so there is purpose in having City Championship events for all of Colorado.

17. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

June is too early for Worlds. Some kids arent out of school yet. Then you must factor in the Gym Challenges and Stadium Challenges. They have to be scheduled not to conflict with your local State Champioships, City Championships, and Conventions. I'd say early August for Worlds...
    -Phil

18. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

Actually using the no-conflict logic, I'd say September or maybe even October for Worlds. GenCon Indy is late August (8/19-8/22).

19. Perfect0ne

Perfect0ne New Member

Thank goodness for the heads up! Now we can all have plenty of testing time! Yay! Im gonna so rule the NY tournament!!!

20. jdb728

jdb728 New Member

Yeah, but September and October aren't really good idea's, since Most kids would be back in school, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.