Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Clarification needed on Rayquaza

BANGINBOX

Hey ,

I know that this was answered somewhere before, but i need to know the following....

If my opponent has a rayquaza EX with 1 electric energy and 1 multi energy,
1) do both get discarded reguardless?
2) how much damage would it do?

I told them that Both energies get discarded for a total of "80" damage.

was this correct?
and how would I explain for them to understand?
jimmy

Multi provides both fire and lightning.

For Rayquazza's attack you declare which type you intend to discard.

with a multi and a lightning attached to Rayquazza

If you pick fire then only the multi is discarded for 40 damage.

If you pick lightning then both are discarded for 80 damage.

Last edited:
Nopoke is correct. "They" need to understand that Multi. Rnbw., and DRE provide all types at the same time, but only 1,1, and 2 respectivly. You can't chose which type, they're all there at the same time.

If Clefable has 2 lightning energy and uses Metronome on Rayquaza, it does 80 damage
and retains its energy, right??

No!
Clefable only ignores energy discards if they have the phrase "in order to attack", or something similar.
In this example, Clefable could choose Fire, keep the two L energy cards and do 0 damage, or choose Lightning and do 80. But then it would have to discard the 2 L.

I think Clefable could attack if it only had one NRG on it. If it were lightning or fire you could choose to discard it for fourty, or choose the other color that is not attached for zero. Basicaly Clefable has to discard NRG if the amount of damage is tied to the amount of NRG discarded. Clefable only has to pay for Metronome's NRG cost, "1 Colorless".

Yes. Thankfully they came to their senses and Rainbow is to be played as we have always understood it: all colors, all the time, even if it has been used to "fill" a specific color attack cost.

I couldn't find that specific ruling in either the compendium or in the "Ask the Masters" board PokePop.

Do you have the link?

We may not have put it in. It was part of a discussion of rulings being waited on.
Let me check.

Here, this is the final wording of the ruling.
Note that it is a reversal of the Dragon FAQ:

Q. If I have a Rayquaza-EX Active with three Lighting energy and a Rainbow Energy and used Dragon Burst, would I have to discard the Rainbow Energy along with the Lighting energy? Would the same apply with a Multi Energy?
A. Yes, Rainbow Energy counts as all types, so it would have to be discarded along with the rest of the Lightning Energy (if that's the type you choose to discard). Same goes for Multi Energy as long as no other special energy cards are attached at the time of attack. This is a REVERSAL of what was stated in the EX-Dragon prerelease FAQ. (Feb 12, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Thanks PokePop.

Does this means that the Rainbow Energy would be discarded for Dragon Burst regardless of the other basic energy attached to Rayquaza-EX?

YES Rainbow is always discarded as it will always satisfy a 'discard all <type> energy' cost

Back