Clarification on "Energy Requirements"

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Robert ex, Feb 3, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Robert ex

Robert ex New Member

First of all, I think there's some confusion about Salamence.

The Compendium reads:

Unless Holon Research Tower (stadium) is in play, Salamence does in fact have to discard a Metal Energy card (and not just anything that provides metal).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, this confusion seems to be carrying over into Gardevoir ex? :confused:

Gardevoir's attack states, "You may move a fire energy card attached to Gardevoir ex to 1 of your benched Pokemon."

For as long as I've been playing, the rule I've always known is:

>> If the card says, "move a XxXxX energy", then you were allowed to move any energy that provides that type (e.g. fire).

>> But if the card says, "move a XxXxX energy card", it has to be that specific energy card ONLY.

The key word is "card".

The head judges (in the original question) are probably unaware of any changes to this longstanding rule -- just as I am.

Has this been changed?

This ruling affects the attacks/powers on dozens of cards!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By being able to move ANY energy card that provides fire (still using Gardevoir as an example), you could choose to move your Holon's Castform or Holon's Magneton (or double rainbow on non-EX's).

Is it really the intent of this attack, to allow you to move 2 energies to your next attacker?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

No, you are remembering the rule incorrectly or someone told it to you wrong.
    The rule is:

If something says "Move X energy" or "Move X energy card", then anything that provides X energy can be used, where X is a color.

If something says "Move X Basic Energy card", THEN it has to be an actual Basic Energy card of X color.

It's the word "Basic" that is the critical word, not the word "card".

There are no Basic versions of Metal or Darkness (yet!), so in all cases for them, anything that provides those colors will do, such as Rainbow.

This is not a change. This is how it has always been.