Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Classic Deck Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postdog2Gengar

I have heard about several decks from the past, and I would like to kind of revise them a little bit to help me play them. I would appreciate it if you could tell me the general structure of the following decks:

Haymaker
Sneasel/Wiggly
Turbo Venusaur
Venucenter

Also, if you have any more classic decks of the past, please throw them in as well.

Last edited:
here's one that I still use. My local shoppe's tournaments aren't sanctioned and we are allowed any cards so I use this. I'm not sure what it's called, but I remember many versions of this deck being made after I figured it out a long while ago.

Pokemon:
2 Mr. Mime (jungle)
3 Chansey (base set)
3 Abra (Rocket)
1 Kadabra (base set)
3 Alakazam (base set)
1 Mew

Trainers:
4 Bill
4 Gust of Wind
4 Pokemon Center
4 Energy Removal
3 Professor Oak
3 Computer Search
2 Nightly Garbage Run
2 Super Energy Removal
2 Pokemon Breeder
1 Item Finder
1 Pokemon Trader

Energy:
17 Psychic Energy

I have a few comments about that particular Damage Swap deck, Trakix, but they'd be off topic -- on this thread anyway.
In any case, Haymaker used to tend to center on the Base Set Hitmonchan and Electabuzz, as well as other fast hitters, with Energy Removal/Super Energy Removal. Not sure if that's still the main way of doing it. I know I see a lot of decks using Base Electabuzz with Rocket's Zapdos.
Sneasel/Wiggly centers on Sneasel, Wigglytuff, and Trainers to fill the bench and bring out Sneasel and Wiggly ASAP.
I never heard of Turbo Venusaur, but I would guess that it would combine LC/Base Venusaur with Harvest Bounty Venusaur.
Venucenter uses LC/Base Venusaur with Pokemon Center to allow as much healing as possible without losing Energy. I don't know the tendencies on what Pokemon are used for support.

Last edited:
Most people probably use Trainers for that (there's certainly enough of them out there), but I don't think there are any in particular that tend to show up. These days, I would guess cards like Town Volunteers. The key, though, is that Energy is rarely discarded in the first place.

Venucenter moves energy off of pokemon with damage so you can use the pokemon center without discarding energy, and then moves it back. I actually used to run a deck like that one. :thumb:

In case you wanna see, here it is. Keep in mind that it was made when Fossil came out.:

Pokemon:
4x Bulbasaur
2x Ivysaur
4x Venusaur
3x Exeggcute
3x Exeggutor
3x Abra
1x Kadabra
2x Alakazam
-22-

Trainers:
4x Pokemon Center
3x Mr. Fuji
3x Bill
3x Professor Oak
1x Item Finder
2x Pokemon Breeder
2x Energy Retrieval
-18-

Energy:
20x Grass Energy
-20-

Again, Trakix, I have comments that would be off-topic here. If you're interested, post each of these decks in a seperate thread. I'm sure you'll get some interesting feedback.

Classic Haymaker
an early version of this classic deck

Okay this deck is straight from an old Scrye magazine, it's a real blast from the past and I love to play it. It is very consistant, it is not optimal but like I say it is the earliest version I have on record.

x4 Hitmonchan
x3 Syther
x4 Electabuzz
x2 Jungle Pikachu
x3 Farfetch'd
x4 Power Plus
x4 Energy Removal
x2 Super Energy Removal
x4 Bill
x2 Professor Oak
x3 Double Colorless Energy
x11 Fighting Energy
x8 Lightening Energy
x2 Computer Search
x4 Gust of Wind

Basically it's about Big Basic Pokemon doing lots of damage, quickly for small amounts of energy. Very effiecient, ER and SER keep big threats at bay and slow your opponents game down without any effect to your tempo.

Hmmm... Classic Haymaker (back during the days before Team Rocket) was basically:

Pokémon:
4 Hitmonchan
4 Electabuzz

Trainers:
4 Bill
4 Professor Oak
4 Computer Search
4 Item Finder
4 Gust of Wind
4 Energy Removal
4 Super Energy Removal
4 Plus Power

Energy:
10 Fighting Energy
10 Electric Energy

...give or take according to your metagame. Sometimes the deck included Movie Promo Mewtwo (#4) or Scyther. Maybe Chansey or so, again, depending on the Metagame. And most of the times 4 of each weren't used, your deck would rotate a bit if you needed more Pokémon or Energy. But that's pretty much what it was.

Wigglytuff decks were pretty much the same thing:

Pokémon:
4 Jigglytuff
4 Wigglytuff
4 Scyther

Trainers:
4 Bill
4 Professor Oak
4 Computer Search
4 Item Finder
4 Gust of Wind
4 Energy Removal
4 Super Energy Removal
4 Plus Power

Energy:
4 Double Colorless Energy
12 Grass Energy

... Again, give or take for your metagame. My personal Wigglytuff deck had less Item Finders and more Base Rattatas, just for the quick 20 damage.

Again though, these were all pre-Rocket. Anything past that is up for grabs. :)

Last edited:
Sorry Nick15 a classic haymaker with no Scyther and no double colourless! Not a haymaker...

Once you got MP mewtwo involved it's getting into Sponge territory!

Yeah I am not sure the UK has a Meta Game at all lots of Xeroxing (guilty as charged) and some real red face paint stuff!

As for haymaker I scared FreddyK whitless with Erica's Jiggly in one deck!

Last edited:
I had a really interesting version of the Wigglytuff deck:

4 Jigglypuff
4 Wigglytuff
4 Hitmonchan

4 Myterious Fossil
4 Clefairy Doll
4 Super Potion
4 Oak
4 Bill
4 Gust of Wind
3 Switch
3 Energy Retrieval
3 Energy removal
2 Super Energy removal

9 Fighting energy
4 Double colorless

Here's how this Wigglytuff deck worked. I looked at Mysterious Fossil and Clefairy Doll and I saw that you may treat both of these cards as basic pokemon, so I said to myself "could be fun..." The main idea of this deck to obviously evolve the Jiggly to the Wiggly and power it up. HOWEVER, this time, you put myterious fossils and clefairy dolls in the bench so you can still deal the 60 damage. Hitmonchan is in there just to make it a complete deck :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back