Grass Energy x9
Darkness Energy x5
Special Darkness Energy x3
Fire Energy x3
Potion Colorless Energy x3
Full Heal Colorless Energy x1
Rainbow Energy x1
Double Colorless Energy x1

This isnt the exact layout but I didnt have alot of time to type this GO DARKAI!!!

As noted earlier, you'll need to include a brief description of your deck's overall strategy, or we'll need to lock this thread. I think 24 hours will give you plenty of time to do so.

Thanks,

Dendro

Teh! The stragey is very simple. Brute force. Darkrai Lv.x is crazy. I also have updated the deck:

Darkrai x1
Darkrai Lv.X x1
Cacnea x3
Cacturne x2
Carvanha x1
Sharpedo x1
Houndour x2
Houndoom x2
Zangoose x2
Turtwig x3
Grotle x2
Torterra x1
Carnivine x1
Heracross x1
Roselia x1
Life Herb x3
Potion x2
Roseanne's Research x2
PlusPower x1
Computer Search x1
Grass Energy x9
Darkness Energy x5
Special Darkness Energy x3
Fire Energy x3
Rainbow Energy x1

The real stratagy to the deck is the awsome colorless energies. I love them because they can really help your chances of getting the right energy for larger attacks. It is kind of hard to list sets because I accumalted the cards over 6 years (see signature). The main staples of this deck are Darkrai Lv.X and Darkrai, Torterra, Houndoom, and Cacturne which are dirt cheap off of trollandtoad.com. I can tell you that some of the cards came from the new Pokemon: Great Encounters Endless Nights theme deck, but the others are very scattered around from Base Set (good old days) to Diamond and Pearl (the new supercharged release). Make sure you check trollandtoad.com.

But Colorless energies only provide Colorless, :colorless and not a rainbow. So having colorless energies to power your :grass: or :fire: or :dark: attacks won't help.

You have a lot of Pokemon in this deck and you really should focus on two or three evolution lines, as right now if one of your Torterras are knocked out, then the you have no more.

You are also running a lot of energy, I would add more trainers and take out a lot of the energy. 26 is far more than you'll ever need. You should have somewhere between 12 and 20. Removing energy would also let you add more of each type of pokemon, which would give you more focus.

The best aim for a deck is 15 Energy, 20 Pokemon, 25 Trainers. There are good variations on this, but most decks work best with a ratio similar to that.

Oh crap, your kidding. I thought that colorless energy could be anything. Not literally colorless energy but any type. I am getting another Torterra, also. Dang it! Now I have to change a buttload of my deck. They should make the Colorless Energy card more clear. Thanks ApachePrime! Also if you look, all the single cards are really good basic pokemon. And I also have a book that says 24 Energy, 26 Pokemon, and 10 Trainers but that book is from 2001.

I imagine those numbers have changed a bit since 2001. The numbers in the current introduction booklet says 20 of each category. I've found that the numbers I listed run a little better allowing you to do more with each turn and plan ahead.

I know the pokemon that are represented with only one card are good basics, but they distract from your main goal, which is getting that Torterra or something else out there to do some major damage. I'm not saying you should take the basics out completely, just try to condense to as few different pokemon as possible. Consistency is a major positive attribute to a deck.

Hi DarkMaster321,

Some of the cards listed in your deck are too old to use in a tournament. The legal sets that you can use are Holon Phantoms (HP), Crystal Guardians (CG), Dragon Frontiers (DF), Power Keepers (PK), Diamond and Pearl (DP), Mysterious Treasures (MT), Secret Wonders (SW), Great Encounters (GE), and Majestic Dawn (MD). However, on September 1st, there will be a new "set rotation," which means cards before the Diamond and Pearl set are illegal to use. The new set, Legends Awakened, will be legal from August 20th, up until the day of it's rotation, which won't be for a while. So, the cards you have to take out from your deck are these cards:

Life Herb x3
Computer Search x1

There may be others, too, except that you don't list all the set names, and so I don't know. Take out every card in your deck that is before Holon Phantoms.

Now, for your deck.

Like Apache Prime said, decks usually have 14-16 Energy, 25 Trainers, and around 18 - 22 Pokemon. Here is a list of what a normal Torterra deck would look like:

Pokemon (19):

Torterra Lv.X x1
Torterra MD x2
Torterra DP x1
Grotle MD x2
Turtwig DP x4
Sceptile GE x2
Grovyle GE x1
Treecko GE x2
Claydol GE x2
Baltoy GE x2

Trainers (26):

Bebe's Search x4
Professor Oak's Visit x4
Roseanne's Research x4
Rare Candy x4
Crystal Beach x3
Warp Point x3
Team Galactic's Wager x2
Night Maintenance x2

Energy (15):

Call Energy x4
Grass Energy x11

That was just a list off the top of my head, but anyway, look at the Pokemon lines. I have more Basic Pokemon and Stage 2 Pokemon then Stage 1 Pokemon in my Stage 2 lines! The reason for this is Rare Candy. With Rare Candy, you choose one of your Basic Pokemon, and you Evolve the Basic Pokemon into a Stage 2! No Stage 1s needed! Like you turn the Stage 2 into a Stage 1... except better! You ignore all regular rules of Evolution. So, say you just placed a Treecko onto the Bench. You can play Rare Candy, and put Sceptile ontop of Treecko, and thus Evolving Treecko on the turn you played it onto your Bench! That's great. Now, notice the Claydol line. Claydol, from Great Encounters, is probably the best card in the game right now. It's Poke-Power, Cosmic Power, is the reson why anyone would use it. Say you have 6 cards in your hand. You can use Cosmic Power to put 2 cards from your hand onto the bottom of your deck, and then draw cards until you have 6 cards in your hand! Doesn't sound very good? Try it out for yourself, and it will work wonders! Why Sceptile? Sceptile is an amazing Pokemon in Grass decks in general. All Grass Energy attached to your Grass Pokemon counts as two Grass Energy instead! So, that means Torterra's "Frenzy Plant" attack that does 100 damage only costs 2 Energy, not 4! Great!

Now, the Trainers. Notice how I use 4 copies of Bebe's Search, Professor Oak's Visit, Roseanne's Research, and Rare Candy. These are called "staples." Staples are cards that are used in almost every deck. Claydol is another. You'd have to have a very good reason not to use staples. Bebe's Search is just amazing, searching your deck for any Pokemon you like, and putting it into your hand, and helping out Claydol, too, by reducing your hand by one card, so Cosmic Power draws you an extra card. Professor Oak's Visit is your standard draw card. It and Claydol form the draw power of the deck, with Team Galactic's Wager helping out with getting a new hand if you have junk in your hand. Anyway, Professor Oak's Visit draws 3 cards, and puts one card from your hand onto the bottom of your deck. When compared to Mom's Kindness from Majestic Dawn, which only draws 2 cards, Professor Oak's Visit is amazing. Roseanne's Research is to get out your Energy and Basic Pokemon. Need Energy? Get Energy! Need Basic Pokemon, like Treecko, Turtwig, or Baltoy? Get them! What's with the Crystal Beach? Well, if you used Special Energy cards like Double Rainbow Energy, Scramble Energy, or Boost Energy, we wouldn't use Crystal Beach. But Crystal Beach blocks out Double Rainbow Energy and Scramble Energy. Any Special Energy in play is counted as 1 Colorless Energy card instead of what they normally are worth. It's great for buying a couple turns you need. Warp Point is for Torterra's very large Retreat Cost, and minor disruption by switching out the Defending Pokemon, and your Active Pokemon. Team Galactic's Wager is for nice refresh options, and major disruption. By reducing their hand to 3 cards, you can easily lock them in from attacking due to no Energy. And, finally, Night Maintenance is you standard recovery card, in case Torterra get's KO'd or something.

Now, the Energy. Call Energy is another staple card, and is your "Starter," which means you want to have it in your oppening hand, so you can get out Basic Pokemon from your deck on the first turn of the game. Grass Energy should be obvious, they're so Torterra can attack, and Sceptile in emergency situations. Why don't I have Fighting Energy? Because Claydol shouldn't attack, ever. If you are ever in a situation where Claydol needs to attack, well... you're in a difficult situation, and you've probably lost the game already. So, Grass Energy and Call Energy are really all that are needed.

And, finally, a couple tips for you: Try to get Claydol out on the second turn of the game AT ALL COSTS. Claydol makes the deck work. You want it out before even your Torterras. Next on your priority list should be Torterra, and then Sceptile. After Sceptile, you should get more Torterras up, after your first one gets KO'd. If you don't have a Torterra up by the 4th turn at the latest, you're probably going to lose. Sceptile, Torterra, and Claydol should all be up by the 4th turn.

This is the list I'd recomend to you. Since you apparently want Torterras out fast, this list should work much better then your own. You may make changes to my list if you like.

Good luck with your deck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back