Deck builder challenge

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by WeileMom, Apr 22, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WeileMom

WeileMom New Member

Hi, I don't have a deck for you to fix, rather I need the resident deck-builder masters here at the Pokegym to help build one for my 6 year-old. Here's the situation. We've been traveling around to a lot of pokemon tournaments but only my 11 year-old is playing. My 6 year-old comes along but we haven't let him play mostly because he is in the beginning stages of reading. However, with the next tournament 3 weeks away I would like to build him a deck that he can handle. Here's the criteria:
    1. Pokemon with basic attacks that don't depend upon too many things, such as flips, etc.
    2. Trainers that are easy to read and understand
    3. No combination pokemon, such as relying on Delcatty for draw, etc.
    4. Needs to meet current modified deck standards

I know that this deck won't win any tournaments but it would be nice if it could win matches every once in awhile. I'm serious about this and would appreciate you being serious too and not just posting a deck with all energy and one pokemon. I know this may not be too much of a challenge for some of you but it does make you go back and look at cards that you would never consider using in your own decks. Personally, I don't even know where to begin. Of course, being that he is 6, if you could add Pokemon that have "cool" factor that would be a big plus too!
    Thanks for any help that you can provide! I'm hoping that some of you might find this to be a fun exercise of your Pokemon skills!
    ---Nicole
    WeileMom

2. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Sounds like fun. I'll look through some of my cards and see what stuff I can come up with =)

3. POKEMAN

POKEMAN New Member

You may not have the right cards 4 this deck but please try it.

Pokemon 17

4 TA kyoger
    4 TA pochyena
    3 TA mityena (I know its not spelt right but who cares)
    2 Lapras EX
    4 TA seviper

Trainers 23
    4 profesor oaks research
    3 prof elms training method
    4 potion
    4 moo moo milk
    1 TA hide out
    1 high pressure system
    3 energy search
    3 switch

Energy 20

6 grass
    10 Water
    4 dark

This deck is NOT going to win much in the very competive tournaments that are ruled by gardy/blaze EX.
    But it should be a simple deck to play that will be fun and very fast. If your son battles any one that has a fire or TM deck it should be easy to win even for a young kid.

next time you post you should give at least a basic idea of what you want the deck to be based around
    if not a deck list

4. POKEMAN

POKEMAN New Member

Have your son play a lot so he can all but memorize what the cards in his deck do.:D

5. WeileMom

WeileMom New Member

Thanks for your input, Pokeman, but I think some of those cards are going to be too technical to use. For example, TA Kyogre needs three other TA pokemon out on the field.
    Yes, he will with time learn the cards, but for starting out I'm talking VERY basic.
    For example, Professor Elm- draw cards until you have 6.
    Or maybe even Dragon Magnemite ( 2 attacks, 10 damage for rollout, 20 for hook) and Dragon Magneton (Ram for 20, Triple Smash for 20+, depending on 3 flips for heads).
    I know, I really should have started the list but I was hoping for some good input from the more knowledgable Pokemon players here.
    ---Nicole
    WeileMom

6. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Alright, here's what I've come up with... though seeing as how I don't have a 6 year old of my own, lol, this might be a little bit too complicated...

Anyway here we go:

Pokemon - 24

4x Wailmer (SS)
    4x Wailord
    3x Eevee (the self dmg one is easiest to understand, though SS is easily the competitive choice..)
    3x Vaporeon (SS)
    4x Chikorita (Razor Leaf)
    3x Bayleef (razor leaf)
    3x Meganium (Non Holo, Solarbeam)

Trainers - 18

4x TV reporter
    4x Bill's Maintenance
    2x Professor Birch
    4x Professor Elm's Training Method
    4x Potion

Energy - 18

9x Water
    9x Grass

--

Ok, hopefully that's not too bad. The pokemon aren't the greatest choices, but solid nonetheless. Wailord, Vaporeon, and Meganium (and their prevos) have very very simple attacks. The most complicated thing is doing sleep, taking self damage... not too bad I think. I chose the draw engine, cuz I hoped that would be the simplest. nothing shuffles a whole bunch. Only Bill's Maintenance shuffles 1 in and you draw 3. The rest just draw or draw/discard, so he doesn't have to struggle with shuffling all the time. Now, the PETM may be a little overboard, as you have to look, make sure you get an evo, shuffle, and show your opponent. However, w/o them, there is no real way to get your evos out lol, so you need something in there to do that job.

Energy is fairly simple, I think, lol.

I hope that works for you, WeileMom, good luck at your events.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  7. Wren5

Wren5 New Member

I thought about what I've seen other players around his age playing, what you could do to beat that, and I came up with this. I'm just kind of taking a stab in the dark about what difficulty he can handle and how powerful it needs to be.

//NAME: Child's play
    // Pokemon
    4 Wynaut SS
    4 Mewtwo ex RS

// Trainers
    3 Balloon Berry
    4 Master Ball
    4 Dual Ball
    4 Professor Oak's Research
    4 Bill's Maintenance
    4 TV Reporter
    4 Juggler

// Energy
    25 Psychic Energy

Just tell him to ALWAYS choose to get rid of energy when the supporters tell him he needs to do something with a card in his hand. And tell him to look for mewtwos with wynaut until there aren't any more in his deck. Is that simple enough or do we need to take this down another notch?

8. HYPER EEVEE

HYPER EEVEE Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

pokes 18
    3 Wynaut
    3 Wobby
    3 Wailmer (ss)
    3 Wailord (r/s)
    3 Mewtwo ex
    3 Chansey (AQ)

Trainers 26
    4 Proffesor birch
    4 Juggler
    4 Tv Reporter
    3 Pokemon Nurse*
    4 Potion
    4 Oran berry
    3 Switch

Energy 16
    3 Boost Energy*
    3 Rainbow Energy*
    4 Water energy
    6 psychic enery

K this is a good deck little strategy, but it takes damage the you can simply heal it has BIG DAMAGE HIGH HP.

*can be replaced if you think its to advanced the rest are pretty easy
    if you want to take out
    Pokemon Nurse try Mr. Brinney's compassion or Lattenettes Netsearch
    Boost for psychic
    Rainbow for Water
    Have fun! :D

9. Warbuzz

Warbuzz New Member

I will be away this weekend, but next week I'll try to come up with something. I think you need to study the contents of a Starter Deck. They are designed to be very basic, for this exact reason. They always have something in common. High number of basic pokemon and energy, with a low number of trainers. Your right, Professor Birch is the most simple draw trainer, used in combination with potion and switch.

So kinda use contents of a starter deck as reference.

10. NoPoke

NoPoke Active Member

mewtwo ex with Jugler and TV reporter

Wobuffet

dunsparce

potions
    oran berries
    moo moo
    pokemon reversal
    crystal shard
    various ball trainers
    warp/switch

plenty of psychic energy

Use the above to build a mewtwo EX speed deck. Turn two sixty damage. Sixty damage from then on. Pokemon reversal with heads to pick off Blaz EX.

use dice in a small plastic cup to act as randomisers.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  11. St0neh

St0neh New Member

4 Totodile(double scratch)
    4 Croconaw
    4 Feraligatr (non holo)
    4 Machop (expedition)
    4 Machoke (expedition) <- the most solid stage 1 in the history of pokemon
    --20 Pokemon

10 Water
    10 Fighting
    --20 Energy

4 Professor Oak's Research
    4 TV Reporter
    4 Potion
    4 Energy Switch (good card btw)
    4 MooMoo Milk
    --20 Trainers

Should be doable, no status effects, just a bit a flipping, Oak's Research should be the most complicated card to explain. Covers weakness too, and it might even beat some Blazikens deck when they have a bad start. Vulnerable to Rayquasa, but that's a risk I'm willing to take if I was a 6-year old.

12. Hero

Hero New Member

Yay, I'd LOVE to help with this one. I'll be right w/ you Nicole, I just need to think of something creative and fun.

BTW Weilemom, what's your little boy's favorite pokemon? I think constructing a deck around it may be more enjoyable to play.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  13. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

You should know by now that "build me a deck" posts aren't allowed. But you do have a start - using his favorites (if they go together in a deck), simple attacks, and here's one final bit of advice - try no Trainers just to reduce the amount of reading necessary. But i have to lock this now. Please PM WeileMom with your suggestions. Then when she has plenty of advice, post the deck. Then help can be asked for. (A deck revolving around TM or TA seems to be the best choice).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.