Ditto vs. Flygon

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by SlimeyGrimey, Jan 4, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. SlimeyGrimey

SlimeyGrimey New Member

If I have a Ditto with three basic energy attached active vs. a Flygon (Holo), would my attack do 60 or 90?
    The exact text off of Ditto's Power is: "Each basic energy card attached to Ditto provides every type of Energy but provides only one energy at a time"

Notice how it doesn't say: "provides only one type of energy at a time

2. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

It depends upon what type of Basic Energy cards are attached to Ditto. If they were all different Types, then the Base damage is 60. If they were all the same type, then the Base damage would be 40 - the key wording is not on Ditto, but rather Flygon:

The key here is in order to get the extra damage, the bonus comes from Basic energy cards, not just any type of energy. Energy cards converted by Ditto are no longer Basic Energy Cards. Similar to Porygon 2's Energy Converter on Ho-oh.

3. SlimeyGrimey

SlimeyGrimey New Member

Okay, thanks. I knew there had to be a good reason for that to not work, otherwise its a little broken. Not that it makes that much of a difference considering weakness.

4. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I'd give almost the same answer as BJJ:

Flygon's attack counts the number of different types of BASIC ENERGY CARDS attached. Dittos' power may allow these energy cards to provide any colour of energy but they retain their original status as typed BASIC ENERGY CARDS. The HoOh ruling was that nothing can effect the TYPE of A BASIC ENERGY CARD. Which is not the same thing as the energy type/colour that the card is providing.

I never was that happy with the HoOh Porygon 2 ruling : it means that a converted Fire card retains its FIRE BASIC ENERGY CARD status regardless of what it has been converted into. It adds a layer of complexity that can make card interpretation difficult and error prone when giving a ruling at a tournament.

So I disagree with BJJ only on the detail that the basic energy cards become 'SPECIAL' when converted by Ditto.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

NoPokes got it right, in all respects.

6. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Right as in the Ho-oh rule is wrong?

7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

The HoOh ruling is still standing as far as I'm aware.

I didn't like the ruling as it exposed a hitherto unknown feature of energy cards: that a basic energy card retains its distinct type no matter what colour energy it is providing. It is possible to unpick the distinction between what the card is providing and what the card is called but we end up using the same words in English when describing both sets of atributes. Its the difficulty in seperating out type when refering to energy provided and type when refering to the card that 'offended' my desire to abide by the KISS principle.

(wish I could find a more appropriate word than 'offended': far to strong. LOL)

8. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

No, offended works for me. But it's the rule.

BJJ, the Ho-oh rule is correct. What NoPoke corrected is that the changed Basic Energy card is still a Basic Energy card, just of the type it was originally, for the sake of counting different Basic Energy cards!

Quelle tres consfusant! (fr sp?)