dkates' E-on deckbuilding tips, part 2

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by dkates, Nov 17, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkates

dkates New Member

I would have added this to the thread where I originally posted my E-on deck tips article, but since that thread hasn't had a reply in about 6 weeks, I didn't want to get it locked for excavating. This installment will cover some of the trends within each Pokemon type. Note: I may be using certain abbreviations for the various sets where they apply. If i do, here's the name of each set and my abbreviation:
    • Expedition = Exp
    • Aquapolis = AQ
    • Skyridge = SK
    • EX: Ruby & Sapphire = R/S
    • EX: Sandstorm = SS
    • EX: Dragons = Dragons
    If you need to know what any specific card I mention does, www.pokeschool.com has scans of every card that will be E-on legal as of when Dragons is officially released, as well as spoilers of every set through SS.

And now, with no further ado, my analysis of the different Pokemon types in E-on.
    • Colorless. Before Dragons, this type was mainly used for support, rather than attack. A fair number of Colorless Pokemon, mostly from R/S and SS, have attacks or Pokemon Powers that, rather than attack the opponent, somehow aid you in setting up your playing field. Some notables are Holo Delcatty, R/S Linoone, AQ Furret, and SS Linoone. However, with Dragons, this type may well become more of an attack type, for two reasons. One, there are a number of Colorless Pokemon, mostly Pokemon-ex, such as Latias ex, Latios ex, and Rayquaza ex, that are very viable as attackers. However, unlike most of their predecessors, these Pokemon do not only call for Colorless Energy in their attacks. Instead, their attacks call for 1 or 2 different colors of Energy, meaning you'll have to build carefully to take advantage of them. Second, many of the new Colorless Pokemon in Dragons are themselves weak to Colorless, although they are compensated by having multiple Resistances. When looking at Colorless Pokemon from Exp through SS, most are weak to Fighting and have no Resistance, although a handful have Weakness to Lightning and Fighting Resistance. Retreat Costs on Colorless Pokemon are usually 1 to 3, but there are exceptions in both directions. Their HP tend to be fairly high. Colorless Pokemon do not often inflict Special Conditions, although some do. Many are Stage 1 lines, although there are some possibly notable non-evolving Basics. Dragons is introducing some Colorless Stage 2 lines that may be notable.
    • Dark. This type is a lot less popular than it was in Neon (Neo-on Modified) and is in Unlimited, which is almost, but not quite, surprising. Dark-type Pokemon are now more dependant on the Darkness Energy card than they used to be in order to make their attacks worthwhile. However, if well-armed with this Energy, their attacks can be relatively powerful for their otherwise usually low costs. Many also have attacks that can disrupt your opponent's strategy in some way. They can be difficult to play because Dark-type Energy can only be provided by certain Special Energy cards, which are limited to 4 each per deck. However, their stats could yet help them become popular. Most Dark-type Pokemon in E-on have a Weakness to Fighting and a Resistance to Psychic. It is this Resistance that almost causes me to be surprised that Dark types are not popular. Dark-type Pokemon tend to have low Retreat Costs, usually 1. Their HP tend to be low to medium (up to 80), which may also partly explain their lack of popularity. The main exception to some of these trends is Tyranitar. There are two E-on legal Tyranitar cards. Each one has relatively high HP (120 each) and Retreat Cost. Their attacks are relatively expensive, but powerful. This actually makes sense, because Tyranitar is the only Dark-type Stage 2. In fact, other than Tyranitar, Mightyena and Umbreon, all Dark-type Pokemon cards are Basics. For this reason, Dark-types will probably not be a focus of your deck (unless it's Tyranitar), but rather a supporting Pokemon.
    • Electric. Some people call these Lightning types. Personally, I call the Pokemon Electric types, but I call the Energy type Lightning. Electric is a small type in E-on, but there are some Pokemon within it that may be useful. Electric types are mostly quick attackers, and can often do bench damage or inflict Paralysis. However, a noticeable number of Electric types follow another pattern. Their attacks are more expensive, but can do a lot of damage, usually with some self-damage or Energy discards. Electric types' HP are usually medium. They are usually Weak to Fighting. Some Electric types are Resistant to Steel, others have no Resistance. Retreat Costs are usually low. Some, though not many, have useful Pokemon Powers. Most are Stage 1 line, although there is a Stage 2 line with a few different cards, and one non-evolving Basic with a few different cards.
    • Fighting. This type is not very popular in E-on. Fighting types tend to have Weakness to Psychic, Water, or Grass. Their HP tend to be medium to high, mostly medium. Retreat Costs tend to be low. Fighting types tend to do mostly straight damage, sometimes with self-damage, but do not often inflict Special Conditions or discard Energy. It is probably mainly due to the popularity of their Weaknesses that Fighting types are not especially popular, despite the fact that three different types tend to be weak to them. If, as may be the case, Electric becomes a bit more popular with Dragons, Fighting types may also gain some popularity.
    • Fire. A very popular type in E-on. Fire-types tend to have medium to high HP. Almost all have Weakness to Water and no Resistance. Retreat Costs are generally low to medium. Their attacks tend to either be expensive attacks that do a lot of damage, often with Energy discards, or cheaper attacks that do a fair amount of damage, sometimes inflicting Burn. A fair number of them have Pokemon Powers relating to Fire Energy, often helping them to power up quickly. Many are Stage 2 lines, although there are a few Stage 1 lines and a small number of non-evolving Basics that are usually not very notable.
    • Grass. A pretty popular type in E-on. Grass-types tend to have medium to high HP. They are usually weak to Fire, although some have a Weakness to Psychic. Many, though not all, have Resistance to Water. Their attacks tend to be fairly cheap, and a fair number have attacks or Pokemon Powers that can make attack costs easier to pay. They do not tend to specialize in high damage, instead inflicting a lot of Special Conditions. Retreat Costs tend to be medium to high, with some possibly notable exceptions. Many are Stage 2 lines, with most of the rest being Stage 1 lines. There are a small number of non-evolving Basics, although most of these are not very notable.
    • Psychic. A very popular type in E-on. Psychics tend to have medium HP. Although a number of Psychic types have attacks that inflict Special Conditions but not much damage, the most notable Psychics actually have quite powerful attacks. I will not mention which ones, although most E-on players probably already know what Pokemon I'm talking about. Psychics tend to have a Weakness to Psychic and no Resistance. A subset, the Ghosts, tend to have Weakness to Dark and Fighting Resistance. Psychics tend to have medium Retreat Costs. Their attacks tend to be pretty cheap, although a number of them are more powerful as the number of Energy in different parts of the field grows. Many Psychics have useful Pokemon Powers. Most of the notables are Stage 2 lines and non-evolving Basics, although there are some Stage 1 lines, some of which may turn out to be quite useful.
    • Steel. This type lost some popularity with the change to E-on, although it could easily come back into popularity. Steel-types tend to have high HP, Weakness to Fire, and often, Resistance to Grass. Their Retreat Costs are often high. They are mostly defensive Pokemon, due to their high HP and use of Metal Energy. However, their attacks can also often be quite formidable as offense, although they do not often inflict Special Conditions. Although there are non-evolving Basics within the Steel type (in the form of some Skarmory cards and a Mawile card) the notables are mostly Stage 1 lines. There is, however, currently one Stage 2 line within the Steel-type, which is quite notable (Aggron). Note that the Stage 1 Steel-type lines all have as their Basic a Pokemon of a different type.
    • Water. Despite the popularity of Grass-types, Water types seem to be fairly popular in E-on. Water-types tend to have low to medium HP and low to medium Retreat Costs. Most Water types are weak to Electric or Grass, and have no Resistance. Their attacks may be cheap, and occasionally inflict Special Conditions, or they may be a but more medium in cost and do some impressive damage. Many Water types' attacks are more powerful when they have more Water Energy attached. Many Water types have useful Pokemon Powers. Although the type contains some notable non-evolving Basics, most of the popular Water types are Stage 1 or Stage 2.

2. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

Yet another gr8 article dkates. I must say you have quite a knack for deckbuilding. I hope to start working on an article of my own soon showing new combos and strategies for the E-on format. Thanks for the inspiration!;)
    -Swampert

Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.