Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Do you doubt yourself??

Banette EX

When I ask that question,I mean do you doubt yourself and your ability to play the game when you go to major tournments like Regionals/Nationals/Worlds to think you can contend with some of the games best??

I mean you see certain people constantly winning and doin well at tournments and do you just ever think that" Maybe Im not good enough to play at a higher level?" I mean I look at the game and just think its a great challenge to get better and be considered one of the best,but it just gets discouraging sometimes when you just don't do well for a few seasons.

This is my first complete season to play and my record was 52-28,it was mediocre to me at best and just think that I need to get better to contend at Nationals or even Regionals.Especially switching from Yugioh to Pokemon,being competitive is whats it all about playing Yugioh.

So you ever feel like your doubt yourself sometimes??

Well, it does make me question myself and my decks at times.

But then again, I always enjoy playing and I always win 1 or 2 times.
So I try to keep things positive.

I think any player that doesn't win events on a consistent basic begins to doubt themselves. I've seen players in my area, that I feel are very truly skilled, doubt themselves.

I wish I had an easy explanation on how to get over it, but I think it takes time. You have to remember the good things about yourself, and remind yourself why you are playing the game. Hopefully then, you will have enough self-confidence to go into a tournament with the attitude that you can win it. That's half the battle.

Always and forever. Kinda the price you pay for living in the same area as Jimmy, Ness, Chuck, etc, etc. There are a few ways to deal with it. The first is to quit the game, but I doubt that anybody who has invested this amount of time and money into the game would be willing to just give up on it. The second is to just show up and enjoy yourself, and a lot of people end up doing just that. The third (and the route I took) is to find some other way to enjoy the game without actually playing it. For me, that opportunity came as a traveling Judge.

I won't play unless I've broken the format to the extent where the win is guaranteed. Suffice to say I haven't played in years.

Yeah I've always doubted myself at tournaments. Mostly its because I don't have a good or popular deck. I'm really not that good myself, and for me, what keeps me going in this game is the enjoyment of it. IMO, its fun to win, but its even more fun to play Pokemon.:thumb:

I live in GA,our competition is Florida and North/Sotuh Cali,that means we face Silverstros,Team R,Nance.etc,I mean for my first year playing I feel I did decent against the field,but it just hurts to know I have the skill to win,but just havent won certain times.

I like playing against all the people that come,but I just think since its my first complete year,its just Im getting started and just thought I was gonna play and alreayd be the best,which dosent happen. So doubting myself comes from myself,but I think next season Im going to step up and show them all I can play the game well.

I have truly doubted my skill as a player many times. This year was my final year in the senior division, i did well, but i feel it wasn't well enough, as i truly doubted myself of how i would really do in my first year in the Masters division.

Overt time, i have truly noticed that, hey, i am a pretty good player, and why am i doubting myself

E've been playing since day one, I doubt myself all the time. The funny thing is, the second I stopped focusing on winning so much, I topcutted nationals =D.

I doubt myself a lot, but then again, when you're playing a minimum of ten games a day (my grinder training), you find less and less room for doubting...

I doubt my luck because that's the only thing I can't control.

Same goes for me.

I was doing well at nats starting out 5-0 then got 2 compleatly dead starts in a row.:frown:

At BRds, I make t2 using beedrill and play against the only Infernape at the tourney.

At MD states t4, I lose to a coin flip.

At VA states I go 4-2 and miss becasue I got donked by a dad, my only other lose coming from the undefeated.

At regs, I need to win the last match to get into t16. Play against a Magmortar and I was using Arithmetic. Start with Gyaradose and have it so no matter what he does I have a huge advantage. He plays down holon nrg ff. -_- He was the only magmortar in the tourney to run FF.......

Ugg..... I hate luck.

I think it's ridiculous for anyone to doubt themselves at this game.

When you get to that certain 'elitist level' it isn't a matter of outplaying your opponent. Sure you can make good plays to put yourself in the position to win.

At the end of the day(tournament) it takes a certain amount of luck to win. I doubt that there is anyone who will disagree with that.

For instance, my OP record this year was 87-19. At nationals I went 0-3. Here's why.

Game 1 vs Chad Harris. This is one of those games where you need luck to win. If I hit a t2 blissey with cess I'm a favorite.. Well I started with unown Q and 3 TVR reporter. No mentor or anything. Needless to say I got thrashed.

Game 2 vs PokeParent from NE. She gets a good start I get trash. I lose in about 10 minutes.

Game 3 vs Chris Bianchi. Another pro, another trash hand.I lose in like 10 minutes again.

Just goes to show, no matter how good you are or how consistant you make your deck, **** happens.

I certainly don't doubt myself, on the contrary - I expect to win.

the thing i doubt the most would be my deck and luck...in my first season i would make somewhat decents deck and do okay...i even got 2nd at a city's with a blaziken deck with only ONE firestarter...but as the seasons go on i got my hands on more inventory and was able to build ANY deck i knew about...but that was the problem because although i could play any deck i was indecisive so i would randomly grab a deck and play it in a tourney...i never really practice so the time i should have invested would have made my doubt be less. i would not call myself an elitist but i have held my own against the top players in my area, which is TN, MO, and MS. If you do horrible for future season you still should not doubt yourself because knowing why you lost is an important factor into becoming better I.E. only ONE firestarter

I know I can not make it to worlds so I build annoying decks that I know that only I can use and just have a great time...
Plus if i get lucky I make top cut.
I doubt myself making it to worlds and I never doubt myself playing the game because I know I can play my deck and annoy people!

I do doubt myself a good bit when it comes to some of the bigger events simply because I try to go into the events going for the gold. I never know how my luck's going to be in the end though, and that's what really gets me down, because my luck usually is what sends me downward into not doing well. No one should doubt themselves, but some things are out of people's hands. That's where the doubt comes in for me.

I hear ya', Banette. Lately I've been really doubting myself, and wondering whether I should just stop trying. I've made three-four decks so far, and, though it's no argument that each one was better then it's sucessor, I know I'm not doing all too well. I realize that, as aforementioned, a primary part of the game is luck; what cards you draw, what your starting hand is, coin flips; but every time I lose I can't help but feel that if I'd've built my deck better there'd've been a chance I wouldn't have gotten as trounced as I did.

I look at all of the people I've seen both online and in person at the few tournaments I've been able to get to, and my scale and theirs are two different things, because I'm still just trying to deal with my League. Everyone seems to have something under their belt, making all my victories the equivalent of a Dark Horse.

I suppose it comes to down to making a hard decision. You can play, try to win, and quit when you reach a hardship and start to lose; or you can play with the intent to build, to pick yourself up when you get knocked down, and come back swinging, avoiding the missteps you made before, despite however many losses you suffer. (Wow......that kind of overdramatized it. XD ) I'm probably not going to get to the point where I'm a great player, but, it's whatever. Least I'm trying, right?

Doubting is part of everyday life everyone has it,some wont admit it but they do in someway. As a disabled person (visual impaired) it's hard to read the cards and I feel sometimes my opponents get sick of my taking so long to make a move. I have lots of doubts about if I should play. I’ve played for over a year and have lost so many times I wanted to quit. The upside is that I have a great group of players and League leader in Md. They help me with any problems I have that come up. I know in my first Big Event I won’t do well but I will learn a lot and next time I will make the top 1 position. I like my signature says..:thumb:

Back