Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Don Empoleon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regis_Neo

Something I've been meaning to post for a while...anyways, here's a pretty fun deck I ran at one of my BRs with moderate success (3-2, losing to Empoleon/Lucairo after a long match and Shiftry EX, which donked me pretty quickly with Skill Hack). So after a bit of tweaking, I now present this more finished version:

Pokemon: 18

4 Murkrow
2 Honchkrow
4 Piplup
3 Prinplup
3 Empoleon
1 Empoleon Lv X
1 Holon's Castform

Trainers: 25

4 Castaway
4 Celio's
3 Dual Ball
3 Quick Ball
3 Night Maintenance
2 Steven's Advice
2 Strength Charm
1 Buffer Piece
1 Holon Mentor
1 Cessation Crystal
1 Copycat

Energy: 17

6 Water Energy
4 Darkness Energy (Special)
3 Double Rainbow
2 Scramble Energy
2 Darkness Energy (Basic)

Strategy:

The deck begins as what I call a "false" Murkrow swarm, with the idea being to lead your opponent to think you're playing some sort of oddball Honchkrow deck. Then, once you have your Honchkrow sitting on the bench with the required Energy, you have essentially 3+ free attacking 60 HP Basic Pokemon you can keep ramming at your opponent for 50 damage each, plus messing with their hand (and you can get back your free attackers via Night Maintenance). Once you have a Honchkrow established, you play down the Empoleon line and power then up while stalling with the remaining Murkrows. Finally, Empoleon comes in swinging, targeting weakend Pokemon your opponent might have retreated and/or dealing a consistent 70 damage to their active. The Lv X version is included because Supreme Command can really give your opponents fits, especially if you get it out early while your Murkrow and Honchkrow are messing with their hand with Dark Wing Flaps. Tools include Strength Charm to add more damage in conjunction with the Special Darkness Energy and get that KO, a teched in Buffer Piece to potentially let something live an extra turn, and a teched Cessation Crystal to be used when Murkrows aren't out to hamper your opponent further.

Alternatively for a strategy, you can begin with Piplup and evolve it ASAP into Prinplup to get some damage spread around early on, leaving all of your opponent's Pokemon in a weakend state and easy pickings for Murkrow and Honchkrow. So what I like best about this deck is that it can be flexible in dealing damage and that either Basic Pokemon (aside from Holon's Castform) can be a good starter.

I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, and the like. Thanks for reading!

The cesation crystal doesnt really work with your deck, i would take that out. a long with the one holon castform, you never want a bad start in this format :(

The cesation crystal doesnt really work with your deck, i would take that out. a long with the one holon castform, you never want a bad start in this format :(
Meh, it only took nearly a whole day to get a reply :frown:

Anyways, like I said in the strategy, Cessation Crystal as a tech searchable by Castaway is great for the later game once your Honchkrow and Murkrows are down. Besides, you can always bench whatever has Cessation Crystal if you want to attack with Murkrow later on.

As for Holon's Castform, it is great because it's searchable via Mentor or Dual/Quick Ball and can make the difference in powering up Honchkrow quickly. Besides, the odds of starting with a Holon's Castform is pretty low.

I don't see how quick ball is going to be efficient with so many pokemon in the deck. I think it will be too random for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back