Don't bring home any lava rock...

Discussion in 'World Championships' started by PokeMama, Aug 9, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. PokeMama

PokeMama New Member

We lived in Hawaii and both of my sons were born there, so we had years of talking with the locals while we were there. Now I know a lot of people may not have heard about this, and a lot may find it simply superstitious, but in my experience, I've found it to be true. Those of you who have never been there before will find that there are many legendary Gods and Goddesses in Hawaii, and on the Big Island, the most well known is 'Pele,' the Hawaiian volcano goddess. Now many people who visit there are naturally tempted to take home some of the beautiful lava rock as a keepsake of their trip, especially with Kilauea being so active right now. But Pele is very protective of her lava rock, it's like a part of her soul, and it angers her when her lava rock (and black sand, which is also from lava rock) is removed from her island. It is said that misfortune will come to anyone who removes the precious rock. At the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park there used to be a huge display of lava rocks that had been returned to the Islands, with letters of apology from people who felt the sting of Pele's revenge, asking for forgiveness. I heard that the display finally got too big to be maintained, but people still return the rocks to the Post offices all the time. Maybe you believe in this, maybe you don't. I just wanted to alert those of you who didn't know anything about it. I've personally seen it to be true, so I see no need to 'tempt fate', if you know what I mean. It's not worth it.

I share this story with you because having lived there for many years I came to love and respect the Islands and it's culture. Tourists have taken much from the islands already, not just lava rocks, but much of the simplicity and beauty of it's early days, just by the sheer numbers of visitors there each day.

I sincerely hope all of you who are lucky enough to be there now will be respectful of the Islands, it's cultures, and it's people. I'd just like to think that our Pokemon players and families there will understand that there are many places in the Hawaiian Islands that are considered sacred. And I certainly hope that none of our Pokemon people would disrupt, destroy, or remove anything from the land that is sacred to the Hawaiians. It's such a beautiful, magical place that has so much to offer... Just remember what they say, "Take only pictures; leave only footprints" "Take only gifts you are given (like flower lei’s); and leave only with Aloha."

To the Hawaii I miss - Me ke aloha pau`ole .... 'my love for you will never die'

To all of you lucky ones there... have the time of your lives!! Best of luck to all of you!! :thumb:

2. Angry_Altaria

Angry_Altaria New Member

Wow, interesting to know. Glad I resisted the temptation to take one last time I was there.

3. Mew*

Mew* Active Member

Yeah, it's ashame when tourist wreck something nice.

4. pokeirv

pokeirv Member

Hawaii to Rockford?

5. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Out of curiosity, is it illegal to take the lava rock from Hawaii? As in some sort of law to stop people from taking it?

6. PokeMama

PokeMama New Member

No there are no laws about it, it's just considered 'kapu' (forbidden) in Hawaiian lore.
    And pokeirv, yes I know... Rockford after beautiful Hawaii?? Actually it was Wisconsin (I live on the border WI/IL) to Hawaii then back to Wisconsin (my father-in-law became ill) I'd still be in HI if I could, and will certainly return! But I've definitely seen first hand from a friend who had the lava rock what can happen... it's just best to leave it there where it belongs. I don't mess with local lore, out of respect if for no other reason. Most any of the locals will tell you if you ask them.

7. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

We were on Black sand beach and there is a sign it's forbidden to take sand from the beach with you.
    It didn't look to me as a "request" but as a law.

8. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

I've already heard the horror stories, better safe than sorry right?