Double Rainbow (Spoiler) Would you use it?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Spectreon, Jan 14, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

According to translation, the Magma/Aqua set has a sweet new NRG to ad to our pool....

DOUBLE RAINBOW ENERGY

here is the skivvy....

* DOUBLE RAINBOW ENERGY (ENERGY - Special Energy)
    Attach Double Rainbow Energy to any of your non-ex Evolution Pokemon. While in
    play, Double Rainbow Energy provides every type of Energy but provides only 2
    at a time.
    When the Pokemon Double Rainbow Energy is attached to attacks the Defending
    Pokemon, that attack does 10 less damage to that Pokemon (after applying
    Weakness and Resistance).
    If at any time the Pokemon Double Rainbow Energy is attached to becomes a Basic
    or ex Pokemon, discard Double Rainbow Energy.

Ok, so it does 10 less, but it is a super powered DCE, a welcome eddidion to almost every non-Ex deck.

Also a friend (Poinko) pointed out, possible turn 2 Dusclops, placing 5 damage counters.... -10 damage..... lol

Thoughts, combos.... go.......

2. P_A

P_A Active Member

Sure, I'd use it. Some decks would benefit from a speed boost that would provide. Of course, I'd never use it in a deck with Blaziken, but for most other decks I could see an advantage regardless of the effect. The sooner you get a pokemon powered the faster you can do some damage.

3. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Could be usefull in SS Steelix. Notice damage reduction is to Defending Pokemon.... now there is a thought... Turn 3 Steelix... droools.....

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Poor design.
    Not enough downside.

5. Tego

Tego New Member

I think they went too far with the exPokémon. Now they're so strong that they have to make broken cards who only work on the weak Pokémon left that are non-ex? =\

6. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

if it is translated exactly like that, it gives my Strange Delusions deck even more power than it originally had!!! It gives the normal power bonus to Gardy (10 damage for 1 energy), but does double with Gardy ex!!! Also, it can replace the Multis in powering up my Cruels!!! GIVE ME THAT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Oh, that's your deck!
    Sorry to get off topic, but did you use any of my fix?
    ( www.pojo.com/pokemon/index.html plug)

8. duanojo

duanojo New Member

A very intriguing card. This would certainly work well with some of those Dragon Pokemon that require two different types of energy to attack such as Salamence, Flygon, and Dragonite. It is very helpful, too, for those Pokemon that place damage counters instead of do damage. Finally, it might make de-evolution decks such as Omastar or Lileep more powerful as a counter. You could de-evolve and de-power at the same time.

9. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

It probably won't be translated like that. And show me a picture of it. I have seen two new energy in the next set, and both are magma/aqua only energy. If it is translated, I hope it does 20 when you lay it, and not cut off 10 damage.

10. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

IMO, I see this card possibly helping attacks that require 2 or more different types of energies. We'll see it used mostly in Dragon decks and decks that use the dual-effect TMs.

As for speed boost usage, we've got Boost. Attacks like Feint Attack are "generally" better off with Boost. Plus, GardevoirEX obviously gets very little benefit from this card. JMO.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  11. bullados

"but only provides 2 at any one time"

"This attack does 10 damage times the number of energy in play"

What else is there to argue?

12. ColdCoates90

ColdCoates90 Active Member

This card can help pay for retreat if your in a tight situation. This card is perfect for my deck where I have Cacturne. It can power up Cacturne quicker and can still do 40 damage to the bench since its not the defending pokemon. I hope the wording doesn't change much...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  13. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

bullados, reread the spoiler. Damage is 10 less when Double Rainbow is attached. Do the math. You'll see that Double Rainbow provides NO benefit when attached to GardevoirEX.

14. ColdCoates90

ColdCoates90 Active Member

Thats exactly what I was thinking until I realized that you could attach it to a benched pokemon to still do more damage.

15. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Okay Moltres and bullados, you got me. It will help GardevoirEX if attached to a benched Poke. My Bad.

16. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Pop and Tego have it exactly right... Its an overpowered card trying to restore some of the balance that was lost with the introduction of these EX monsters.

Evidence from MtG suggests that the only way to restore balance is to ban cards rather than step aboard the inflationalry spiral of every increasing power in the cards.

17. vincent0906

vincent0906 New Member

The -10 effect of Double Rainbow is NOT only towards Defending Pokemon.....
    But also bench...........

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  18. mysterios

mysterios New Member

Hi i am new here
    I know some combos of this broken card - 10 for an atack on the defending pokemon is nothing realy.
    You can use it with Aquappolis scizor , Hondoom and definetly Alakazam this card is great to everything special energy involved and to everything that hits the bench like exegutor or shinings better if they hit the bench like shining raichou or cards that do more damage for each energy atached. Definetly ,Definetly a nroken card

Sory about the gramar English isn't my first lanquage so i will proparly have a lot of mistakes

19. bullados

NoPoke: even if they limited the Ex's to, say, 2 per deck MAX, they'd still be well more than a match for anything normal that might come out, and we all remember the old single limit Pokemon from the Neo sets...

20. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

They need to make it so it cannot be attached to EX pokemon.