Drafting the Nintendo Sets...

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by NoPoke, Nov 9, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

So what has been your experience of drafting with the Nintendo sets?

Is it completely dominated by getting that lucky Mewtwo-EX (replace with latest EX-set-bomb)

I enjoy limited formats but the introduction of the EX monsters seems to have reduced the skill levels and upped the luck in limited. This wasn't so bad in the original Ruby and Saphire print run when EX pokes weren't so hard to get but now it seems that if you get that lucky big EX then you win :(

[Nomex suit at the ready]

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I tend to agree. With the EX's being as common as all the other holos, thereby reducing the chances of getting a good non-EX holo and the difficulty in drawing many good uncommons, you are stuck with a bunch of weak 40-50 HP commons and whoever is lucky to either draw the best EX and/or a Rare Candy or Wally's Training early (so they can then match the commons they draw to the good few Stage 1s & 2s they may luck ingo) has a good chance of winning as long as they don't screw up.

3. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Hadn't even considered Wally :( Wally is a big bomb too.. at least the uncommons are rarer than rares! Thats good er no bad, er good er. Oh I just don't understand!!! LOL

4. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

I agree totally. Ex's were made to be ultra tough and with the common-ness of them in packs, the whole game turns into a "who can draw the most ex's or the best ex" and really, when your trying to use cards like marril and your opponent pulls out a raichu EX. You can't combat that, not even as hard as you try. Nintendo needs to make the ultra rare cards ultra rare and not more common than regular holos.

5. Baboon

Baboon New Member

I haven't experienced this, as I haven't drafted, but I could easily imagine it. The WotC sets had their power cards, but there were more different ones. With the Nintendo sets so far (EX: R/S in particular), the set is mainly not great, but then, you've got the superpowers. There is no middle ground, so yeah, I'd agree with that. I hope I get one (or more ;)) of those superpowers at the EX3 prerelease...

6. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Well it not just luck. Skill comes into play. Remember "Whoever gets the Rocket's Zapdos, wins" with the Gyms? Sure someone may get lucky enough to get Mewtwo ex, but if they cannot get it out, it's just another card in their deck. Deck building ability is still the main factor.

7. Lugias_Realm

Lugias_Realm New Member

What an Adventure

Has anyone taken a serious look at the EX Dragon spoiler list? I mean really look. There are probably a total of 3 maybe 4 cards that IMO are the ones everyone will be hoping to get. Other then that It's a handful of 50hp commons that you get to play hit and miss with. There will be no trainers to let you go get that evolution should you get lucky enough to get some combo cards that will let you go get it, so thats a risky move. There are a couple 70hp base but no real damage attacks. I think this tourney will basically come down to who can hunt and peck the quickest. Kinda sad that it's not as we use to say" Luck of the Draw" plain and simple there's nothing to really draw.

8. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

BJJ I am a proponent of draft as a skill based format. Indeed I used to argue on the old gym that draft had more skill that constructed. However....the presence of these big basic EX monsters in limited formats does nothing to increase the skill in the format while throwing in a big helping of luck :(

Dragons spoiler? where's that?

9. Tyranitar666

Tyranitar666 New Member

Im somewhat afraid NoPoke is right though. The skill in this draft is lowered considerably. Zapdos has considerably less HP than these guys who have at the LOWEST 80. They also have stronger attacks. Theres also not only ONE of them, but alot, and each of them is too strong for their own good. Anyone who gets it out in a game wins. The evolutions that are capable of combating it are all stage 2s, and they are near impossible to pull strings of, plus hard to draw, and when you think about it, not even a garuntee to take out a Mewtwo EX or the sort. Ill be buying a box of SS this week, as Im a bit late, and Ill draft it out and let you know how I feel about it than.

10. Chrisbo

Chrisbo Administrator

We drafted Sandstorm a couple of weekends ago, and I found it to be a pretty good set for draft. All of the EX's in the set are evolutions (unlike the BBP Basic EX's from Ruby/Sapphire, which I agree are WAY too easy to get in draft). And unless you get lucky enough to snag a Rare Candy too, that Evolution EX is not that easy to get up & running. Also, you have to remember that KO'ing an "EX" gains two prizes, and since you only play with four prizes in Limited anyway that's a pretty risky strategy in some cases.

FYI - My daughter went for an Omastar swarm tactic that worked well. Her only loss was to MaverickHunterZero with a Rare-Candied Typhlosion-EX (yep, it happened), and she forgot to use "Pull Down" to devolve it before it was too late.

Admittedly, I have not looked at any pre-release spoilers yet, so this review does not take EX-Dragon into account. We'll have to wait until next week for that.

My $0.02,
    - CHRISBO

11. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

where are these pre-release spoilers? Just how incompetent am I at finding these he wonders.....

Does anyone know if the Japanese play limited formats?

=============

I've just had a big revelation: Limited and Constructed formats are quite different!

Stop laughing!

Seriously in constructed the focus is on making a deck that gets your big monsters out efficiently and keeps them alive. Whereas in Limited you build your deck in the expectation that you may not get your big monster out at all. In constructed you don't fight with the little guys while in limited you do. The presence of these big cards amongst a pool of mediocrity upsets the balance to limited formats.

Is it fair to summarise the Ruby and Saphire limited experience as 'whoever
    gets their mewtwo EX out first wins'

Is Sandstorm limited just 'I got Wally before you did'?

Anyone got decklists from the pre-release winners?

---------------------------------------------
    Maybe limited formats should be no-rares?

12. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I think people are referring to the Japanese Translations that are on nick15's site or may be found in a few other places.
    There are no official spoilers out there and, based on the content of Sandstorm, no guarantee that it will reflect the set make-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.