Dual Masters... Taking over?

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by BANGINBOX, Mar 13, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BANGINBOX

BANGINBOX New Member

hello all,

I was wondering if Dual masters is taking over your leagues. I recall nearly a year ago, this little game called YU-GI-OH came out and totally eliminated our league. I can see some of the same things happening here. Wizards of the coast (DMTM)has done a fine job marketing and distributing this product. They already have Tournaments lined up for origins and Gencon. For people who say that Dualmasters is too much like magic, you are wrong. My son is 8 and he really likes the new mechanics of this game. I thought that it would be to difficult for him, but he caught on quickly. I am wondering if OUR game could withstand another TCG entering our stores. As we have all seen, these store owners are worried about money. As well they should be. But, where does this leave us? I dont think pokemon could afford to lose many more players.

your thoughts would be appreciated,
    jimmy

Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  2. Xeno

Xeno New Member

Most of the people at my local Pokémon didn't seem to like it very much. With the way it's marketed, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a few players though. No matter what happends, I still think Poémon will live on. I think that Duel Masters will start to die eventually though but that's just my opinion.

3. OHB

OHB Member

dule masters seems to be a pre verison of magic and some ppl at the league rather play magic than play some water downed verison of it come on now creater is also mana and every creater has provoke thats unmagic like none the less i think this game will last since it got a tv show but should of played it on public channels than cable would of been more of a chance to start so probly it wouldn't be showing up at the league i go to in about 2 months and since the new booster of pokemon is about to be out ppl will be broke when it starts being a hit

Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  4. Tails

Tails New Member

I don't think Pkmn has much to worry about. YGO on the other hand...

In this area, both games are coexisting.

5. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze New Member

Yeah Pokemon doesnt have much to worry about as long as OP and Leagues are going strong. On the other hand YuGiOh will be the one to suffer tremendously from this. My son and I also play DM and it is a totally different game than Pokemon. It has similarties to Magic and YuGiOh and a little from Pokemon but not that much. Anyways it is a very fun game to play and easy to learn. But we will still be playing Pokemon. Heck if Poke-Mom is a Mod. at the Duel Masters board at Wizards but that doesnt mean she has dropped from Pokemon either. Face it some of us are Lifers with Pokemon until the very end. :D

6. Tyranitar666

Tyranitar666 New Member

Duel Masters has yet to appear at all locally here. I haven't seen anyone playing it yet. I got some free demos and I'll admit it looks like a fun game actually. If it catches on locally id give it a chance, but the new Marvel VS TCG!!! OMG! 250,000 dollars for the Pro Tour winner!!! THATS A QUARTER MILLION DOLLARS! I expect THAT game to dominate.

7. spookees

spookees Active Member

Pokemon Lifer here too JohnnyBlaze! :)
    i had a long talk today with one of the guys that run the store where we play pokemon regarding DM. He has been around for the beginning of many games, he feels 50/50 as whether or not it will be a popular game. He has been thru all the 1st set of DuelMaster cards and IHO if they dont come out with a new set soon then DM will die out. He basically said the cards in the set are not very good and people will lose interest fast if they keep playing with these cards. Some of our Pokemon players are going to play DM too, but these tend to be the floaters anyway (they played yugioh and pokemon, then magic and pokemon, now DM and pokemon) the trend is nice tho ..they never really leave pokemon) NOW THAT says ALOT about the TCG POKEMON!!!!

8. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

There is only two people at the pokemon league that play DuelMasters and one is myself. More will get into it, I am sure.

9. Monkey

Monkey <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

I saw it advertised in Scrye. I don't think its big around my area at all. I might pick up a starter set if it becomes big around here which I doubt.

10. davechri

davechri New Member

I think Tails hit it on the head.

Yu Gi Oh is in more danger than Pokemon when it comes to Duel Masters. The kids who bolted from Pokemon to play Yu Gi Oh simply because it was the "hot" game will be the first to bolt Yu Gi Oh for Duel Masters.

11. Ice'Cold

Ice'Cold Active Member

Yeah, yugioh seems to be dying down, personally Id rather see that game crash and burn. Better for the lot of us.

12. I don't think we have much of a problem...

Yugi kinda does.....I went to target yesterday and was pick up some boosters when a son and dad came by. They looked at the duel masters cards and the dad said "What about playing this??"
    The kid said "It's another rip off of duel monsters...."

I think Yugioh is gonna have competition.....

See ya

13. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

There is a big problem for POP and Leagues Internationally, already the TOs and Professors have received more from WotC for Dual Masters than Cheaptendo have given for Pokemon in the last 8 months. It's being aggressively advertised, the Judges and TOs are being approached and we know WotC have a professional approach to gaming and OP.

They are communicating, they have a product that is exciting and they value the judges and TOs.. something missing entirely from POP, especially outside the US. If PUI continue to devalue the role of International professors and TOs then Pokemon is dead outside the US in less than a year.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  14. Nick15

Nick15 Member

I'm actually excited about Duel Masters, but yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh! has more to fear from it than Pokémon. Pokémon is now in a league of it's own, kept alive by good support and the players, and not because it's a fad. Yu-Gi-Oh! is actually just a Magic rip-off, which will crash and burn once Duel Masters takes over.

If there's one thing I've noticed about corporations and product marketing.... if you make a company mad, they'll make it their business to show you how mad they are. ;)

As for why Duel Masters hasn't taken over already... The game is (technically) nine days old. Give it some time to grow man... I mean Pokémon didn't explode until say two months after its initial release. :D

15. IvesRountree

IvesRountree New Member

Wanna know what keeps games alive? its the OP, and here there is a very funny thing (here in mexico) wizards support is very little towards DM here, that is at least what the Pto says, and I know for sure that Upper deck OP support for Yugi here is merely posters for the regional tournaments, so Nintendo is the one with the upper hand so far, that is the reason that is making pokemon rise again in a very big way over here, I also received DM demo, and I kinda thought it was funny, but to be honest I liked a lot more Versus system (marvel) and the TMNT game, both coming out this year, and the first one with some Major support magic style.

16. Kasanova

Kasanova New Member

I play Pokemon and Duel Masters. I like them both.
    But on subject: There is no way DM will take over. It only came out not too long ago anyway. What are we worrying for? Pokemon will live on, there's no doubt to that.

17. davechri

davechri New Member

I think there are three kinds of CCG players.

1. The ones who jump from the newer game to the newest game.
    2. The ones who play multiple games.
    3. The ones who find one game and stick with it.

Yu Gi Oh benefitted greatly from the Category 1 players leaving Pokemon and moving to Yu Gi Oh. Those same players will move on to Duel Master now.

Category 2 players will have to pick and choose what games to play. Pokemon may lose a few of these players to Duel Masters, but it will probably be small numbers.

Category 3 is the most interesting. It's easy to say that hard-core Pokemon players will stick with Pokemon, unless there is a REASON for them to move on to another game. Is there a reason? As was stated earlier, in Europe, there's not much support for organized play. That could be an issue. Another could be stagnant format. (I don't think the release of TA/TM is going to result in any new, competitive decks, nor do I believe that there are many cards out of this set that will make their way in to existing competitive decks.)

I believe that if Duel Masters pulls players away from Pokemon, it's more Pokemon's fault than it is Duel Masters.

18. Silver Chaos

Silver Chaos New Member

I can't believe the advertisement for Duel Masters. I saw 4 whole page adds in one magazine! I personally think the game is fun and interesting. I play multiple games and find that Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, and Magic are the top games. I won't be surprised if Duel Masters will join those three.
    I don't see anybody at my league converting. We play both games and we have nobody leaving. I only see people from Yu-Gi-Oh! playing both games, as well. We shouldn't have to worry about this, as it has only just begun. Only time will tell...

19. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

DM has been advertised, and WotC is doing alot to make it big. Too bad WotC doesn't make pokemon anymore.

20. Kasanova

Kasanova New Member

Don't you think we're getting TOO worked up about it?

(I'm a cate.2 player. I play Pkmn,Magic,DM and YGH! Who cares about me)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.