Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dustox vs Sharpedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLiZzArD

I have a dark and 2 water Energy on Sharpedo vs Dustox If I discard the dark do I get the bonus damage or is this an (effect) and doesn't count

Last edited:
There are two rulings that are important here. I'll use rulings from Suicune's Crystal Body Pokemon Power since it has an identical effect.

First, can the Darkness Energy card be discarded?

I'll quote part of the relevent ruling only to avoid confusion. You can look up the entire ruling on the Archived Compendium.

* Suicune and all similar affects (Haunter's Transparency, Agility, etc.) have been clarified and finalized. Please ignore the previous Suicune rulings released in Nov/Dec 2001. As stated in that rules release they were only temporary until they were correctly figured out. While attacks are still always against the Defending Pokemon, regardless of where their effects end up, the effects end up on a specific Pokemon. So Suicune's Crystal Body Power which reads: "Prevent all effects of your opponent's attacks, other than damage, done to Suicune", means that ONLY effects done TO Suicune are prevented... Any additional effects the attack may have (such as having to discard an energy in order to use the attack, or self-inflicted damage) is NOT prevented as it is NOT done to Suicune. (Feb 14, 2002 WotC Chat, Q18)

So, the energy card can be discarded. Can it add to damage?

Q. With a Suicune defending, would an attack like Double Claw or Stone Barrage do any damage? So what do you do? 10 with Geodude, and 20 for Scizor, or do you flip to see how much?
A. Attacks that have 20+ or 20x or things like that do damage, the text tells you how to come to that damage, (normally flipping coins,) but since that number is there, you will do damage. You would flip to see how much damage. Here is how this works: Suicune prevents all text EXCEPT things that say, flip a coin this attack does X damage + X damage, or just X damage, or this attack does 20 times the number of heads. That is checking for damage, (just like it doesn't prevent the damage Gator does with riptide, just the effect of reshuffling). (Dec 6, 2001 WotC Chat, Q356 & Q374 & Q379)

So yes, you can discard a D energy and add to the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back