Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Effect Targets

Chairman Kaga

Oooh...another thought occurs. Responding to PokePop's reply here:

PokePop said:
Since it is "after applying W & R", that means the effect is on Lucario and so Swift ignores it.

And correlating/contrasting with the Extra Smoke ruling:

Poke-BODY: Extra Smoke
Any damage done to your Stage 2 Pokemon-ex by your opponent's attacks is reduced by 10 (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

Q. Say I have a Kingra-EX with "Extra Smoke" on the bench and a Stage 2 Pokémon-EX Active (other than Kingdra-EX). If my opponent attacks with "Swift" does it ignore "Extra Smoke" or not?
A. The effect of Extra Smoke is always attached to whatever Pokémon that the opponent attacks with, not on the Defending Pokémon nor even on the benched Kingdra-EX. And since Swift only ignores effects on the Defending Pokémon (not the player or Pokémon attacking with Swift), it does NOT ignore Extra Smoke and damage is reduced by -10. (Feb 22, 2007 PUI Rules Team)

Extra Smoke is applied before W/R, hence the effect is on the attacker.
Close Combat is applied after W/R, hence the effect is on Lucario.

So, extrapolating from that:

Effects applied before Weakness/Resistance are placed on the opposing Pokemon.
Effects applied after Weakness/Resistance are placed on the Pokemon invoking the effect.

Is this a good meta-rule to keep in mind? Or are these things mostly on a case-by-case basis?

Rereading this.
The only clarification I'd make it this:

Effects applied before Weakness/Resistance reside on the Attacking Pokemon.
Effects applied after Weakness/Resistance are placed on the Pokemon receiving the attack.

Back