Electivire and Ampharos: synergy?

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by zapatosunidos, Nov 23, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos New Member

I am trying out the following deck for my 7 1/2 year-old son. I want a simple deck that doesn't have too many decisions but will allow him to experiment with more complex strategies (his previous deck was Kricketune). I am looking for some improvements to help it compete against my Lucario/Breloom deck, which is a pretty fast deck, and can exploit his :fighting: weakness.

4-3-1 Electivire (SW + Lv. X)
    3-2-3 Ampharos (SW)
    4 Stantler (SW)

20 Pokemon

3 Rare Candy
    4 Celio's Network
    2 Holon Mentor
    2 Castaway
    1 Scott
    3 TV Reporter
    2 Steven's Advice
    3 Windstorm
    2 Night Maintenance
    2 Warp Point

24 Trainers

2 DRE
    2 Scramble
    12 :lightning Energy

16 Energy

Strategy: Stantler start. Scott for Holon Mentor to fill the bench. Try to power up Ampharos and discard energy every turn until Electivire is ready. Bring up Electivire Lv. X and Ampharos as quickly as possible to work both of their Poke-Bodies. Pulse Barrier and Windstorm keep away the Cessation Crystal. All discards are energy where possible to make them available on subsequent turns to Electivire via Motor Drive.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. B_B_C

B_B_C New Member

maybe -1 scramble + DRE?

Otherwise looks good.

3. Prize_Card

Prize_Card New Member

Here are my changes....

-2 plusle
    -2 minum (these really don't do anything for the deck, and theres better cards to play.)
    -1 nightmaintnence (3 is a little bit overboard, 2 should be just right.)
    -1 scott ( 1 should be fine considering you dont play any stadiums.)
    -4 holon adventurer (we can play better draw cards!)
    - 1 amphy d (dont bother running this, it really does nothing for the deck)

+ 1 celios network (getting evolutions out in the deck are vital)
    + 2 stevens advice (really good draw card, and recovery card.)
    + 2 castaway (gets the energy you need and sets you up for next turn)
    + 2 Double rainbow (very good, adds to the attack of electivre, and helps in situations where u need energy.)
    +1 amphy sw (this card helps A LOT, having it on the bench while electiver x is out, stops them from playing energy and supporters, and when they do they take lots of dmg.)
    + 3 Draw cards/ starter pokemon (this is where you can decide what you want to play, if it isnt drawing enough in times of need, then add in 3 draw cards, if it isnt setting up right then add in 3 starters stantler, mawile, etc...)

With these changes the deck should hopefully run much smoother. Hope I helped!

4. He is right on the night Maintenance. Nothing more annoying to a kid is when you need draw and all you have in your hand from the start is a couple of Night Maintenance . So go with more draw or a couple of Great balls. You don't want to bench out and Great ball can help. Now what to do about that fighting weakness. With three scramble maybe a tech that is phychic.

5. zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos New Member

I have a pretty solid small Gardevoir SW line that he has been wanting to get his hands on. Could that be worked in somehow?

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Or perhaps Raikou or Raichu? If Raichu, with or without Pichu?

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I have modified the decklist above. Smeargle seems like a good idea, even though he does nothing for the weakness. I have found that once this deck gets going it makes mincemeat of even Lucario. I guess I'll try it out and see.

I basically followed your advice (thanks Prize Card and others!) on the rest for the cards I have. I will update with testing results. Thanksgiving weekend is a great Pokemon time!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  6. Prize_Card

Prize_Card New Member

Riachu wouldnt be so great in this deck because it takes 2 turns to set up, and when it does get set up you'll probaly only be able to use his electromagnetic conduction once, then by turn three you'll realize that you used a lot of your resources trying to set up riachu rather then setting up your amphy and electivire. Raikou is a possiblity, you could add in 1 or 2, but the only problem is that it takes 3 turns to power up that sucker! And most of the time it will just be sitting on the bench waiting to be sniped off by pokemon like empoleon or ray ex. As for the smeargle, I would only run it if it seems like your having problems getting the nessacry energy in your hand to begin with... (smeargle is the pokemon that gets 3 energy, right?) I would try a diffrent starters and see how they each run till you find one that gets you set up almost perfectly every time.

7. zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos New Member

I have updated the decklist above to reflect the recommendations.

The deck is working beautifully, and is in fact a beast even with the fighting weakness (Especially since Breloom doesn't get to take advantage!) The only current problem is that Stantler ends up a dead card in high numbers, especially if you don't get to start with it. Electivire is very quick; it seems like he always has a fully powered one by T2!

This maybe is a problem with starters in general: you need a lot of them to increase the starting odds, but they are relatively useless after T2 or 3, and if you happen to deal yourself a good hand, they become absolutely useless really quick! Mid to late game, they just get in the way.

What to do? Am I missing some finesse aspect of using a starter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.