Empolen and Octillary

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by PKM4, Aug 29, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PKM4

PKM4 Compendium Publishing Assistant

With the release of Mysterious Treasures a new combo comes up with Empoleon from Diamond & Peral. The new combo is Empoleon, Octillery, and Mantine. I think this deck has potential because by turn two this deck deals out 40 damage to anyone. Not only is it fast, but it has the ever great sniping ability.

Author: PKM4
    Date: August 29th, 2007
    Format: HP - MT
    Deck: Empoleon/Octillery

Deck List

Pokemon 21

4 Piplup (DP)
    3 Prinplup (DP)
    3 Empoleon (DP)
    1 Empoleon Lv. X (DP)
    3 Remoraid (MT)
    3 Octillery (MT)
    2 Mantyke (DP)
    2 Mantine (MT)

Trainers 23

3 Holon Mentor
    4 Celio's Network
    3 Tv Reporter
    3 Steven's Advice
    2 Rare Candy
    4 Battle Frontier
    2 Scott
    1 Night Maintenance
    2 Windstorm

Energies 16

13 Water Energy
    3 Scramble Energy

The Cards

Piplup: To get Prinplup and Empoleon out. Piplups' cool because it can attack for no energy.

Prinplup: To spread the damage around like crazy. Also capable of taking prizes early.

Empoleon: To finish up the match. Empoleon takes down whatever pokemon Prinplup and Octillary wern't able to finish off.

Empoleon Lv X: Also capable of sniping. Has higher HP and a decent Poke Power.

Remoraid: Here for Octillery. Also can hit the bench for 10 damage.

Octillery: This pokemon is absolutely great because he can hit any pokemon by turn 2 for 40 damage. It's an absolutely brutal card early game and even at the end because of its sniping ability. Also hits the active for 60 damage if the defending pokemon has any special energy attached. Then you get to discard a special energy card off of that pokemon.

Mantyke: Here for Mantine. Also has a good attack because it gets a pokemon and puts it on the bench.

Mantine: Mantines' cool because he gives all of your water pokemon two less retreat cost. Which makes every pokemon in the deck have free retreat.

Holon Mentor: To get out the basic pokemon in the deck. Also able to get Mantyke and Mantine in the same turn.

Celio's Network: Searches for any pokemon in the deck. Thats why its maxed out.

Scott: To get out Battle Fronteir and other useful Supporter cards.

Battle Frontier: To shut off popular pokemon powers and bodies such as, Garchomp, Honchkrow, Nidoqueen d, Delcatty and Delcatty ex to name a few.

Tv Reporter: Straight draw from the deck.

Steven's Advice: Straight draw from the deck and it can get you up to 6 cards.

Rare Candy: Gets Empoleon out faster.

Night Maintenance: Used to get back water energy and knocked out pokemon.

Windstorm: Used to get rid of Cessation Crystal and pokemon tools.

Water Energy: Needed because its a water deck.

Scramble Energy: Helps when losing so Empoleon or Octillery can attack quick.

Stratedgy

The main stategy of the deck is to get a turn 2 Prinplup or Octillery out. Use Prinplup or Octillery to spread the damage around and have Empoleon come out to finish off any pokemon still on the board. The speed of this deck is the key to winning most matches because you can completely ruin your opponents set up by targeting pokemon on the bench that they're powering up or taking down key basics before they evolve like Trapinch.

Match Ups

Infernacatty 80/20: This should be an easy match because Empoleon can OHKO the Infernapes and Battle Frontier shuts off Delcatty. Just watch out for the early Chimchar+Rare Candy+Infernape+Double Rainbow Energy combo.

Electivire 40/60: This can be a very difficult match if their deck gets set up. However, make good use of Prinplup and Octillery by sniping off the Trapinch and Elekid. Battle Frontier also helps against Flygon d. Watch out for Rayquaza ex d if they're losing.

Hurricane 70/30: This shouldn't be a terribly hard match up. Empoleon has high HP and it would take quite a few energy to knock you out. Snipe the Skitty's before they evlove and you should be fine.

Quickitune 45/55: As long as you can last for the first few turns and get an Empoleon out, this is a very winnable match. The speed factor gives Quickitune the slight edge.

Hailstorm ???: I really haven't seen any good Hailstorm decks so I will add the match up later when I play a good one.

Ambipom/Honchkrow ???: This deck saw some play at Battle Roads and I just heard about it today. The only thing I know about it is hand disruption. If a deck list comes out or if I play against it I will update this match up.

Thats about it right now. I'll add more match ups later. I hope everyone enjoys the article.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  2. Skull Bash

Skull Bash New Member

-2 Remoraid
    -2 Octillery
    -3 Pluspower
    -3 Glacia's Stadium
    -1 Empoleon LV X
    -2 Mr. Stones

+1 Rare Candy
    +1 Empoleon DP
    +3 Castaway
    +3 Cessation Crystal
    +1 DRE
    +2 Scramble
    +2 Battle Frontier

That's only my opinion. Glacia's is near useless, Cessation is critical, another Empoleon DP is better than a LV X in my opinion, and scramble is essential in this deck.

3. PKM4

Updated with new match ups and an updated deck list.

4. Kempley05

Kempley05 New Member

I've been working on it to. Here's my rough list that I'm starting with. Totally untested but if it helps you at all all the better.

Pokemon - 17

4 Piplup (DP)
    4 Prinplup (DP)
    3 Empoleon (DP)
    3 Remoraid (MT)
    3 Octilery (MT)

Trainers - 27

4 Celios
    4 Great Ball
    4 Rare Candy
    3 Castaway
    3 Cessation
    1 Strength Charm
    3 Team Galatics Wager
    3 TV Reporter
    1 Night Maintenace
    1 Time Space Distortion

Energy - 16

13 Water
    3 Scramble

5. fieryseraph

fieryseraph New Member

Looks like someone hasn't been reading the Electivire threads. ;-D

6. Skull Bash

Skull Bash New Member

That's exactly the reason why it's not that great. If you time your Cessations and Battle Frontiers right, they won't be able to set up. And if they can attack with Electivire, you've probably already lost. It can be useful, but it's situational, I'd rather just run BF which counters multiple decks, instead of a stadium that counters one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  7. PSYCO829

PSYCO829 New Member

not to mention if they pull out vire lv x, ull find ur stadium used against you

8. Blassari

Blassari New Member

I think this is auto-loss against Vire, so tech something Fightning type!

9. PSYCO829

PSYCO829 New Member

lucario

10. PKM4

Updated deck list.

11. PKM4

Added more match-ups.

12. DaBest345

DaBest345 New Member

3 Battle Frontier...and NO SCOTT???

13. Epyon0015

Epyon0015 New Member

you need holon WP. With all this hand messing up and other effect. This will mess up alot of people by only doing damage

14. Dom

Dom New Member

2 cards that do the exact same thing is not a combo. Why use Octillery when you already have Prinplup?

Is this a joke? SERIOUSLY, I hope so.

=/

=/

=/

=/

=/

=/

15. KingGengar

KingGengar New Member

I think Empoleon/Octillery is a great Water deck. Only issue is the Lightning weakness. So I guess that's why we see Lucario/Empoleon. Either way, I love the deck and the idea.

16. bugsbite

bugsbite New Member

I am thinking on using the Lucario/Empoleon (wario :smile:) deck but this deck looks like a winner and it is different!!

I love it too, thanks!!:thumb:

17. KingGengar

KingGengar New Member

Wario... that is the *best* name yet for it!

18. mila

mila New Member

i dont understand the match ups

19. PSYCO829

PSYCO829 New Member

the matchups are ridiculous
    are these local league decks here?

20. rhodesia123

rhodesia123 New Member

i believe you have forgotten to list one of the more important matchups:

Beautifly/Masquerain 95/5

you may want to add some team galactic's wager