Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Energy Search, Now Let's Be Serious

Professor Elm

OK, honestly, why does everybody throw this card to the side and laugh at decks that use it?

Well, I will be the first to say that I have never thought of putting Energy Search in any of my decks.
BUT with the new format, Call Energy will be the only special energy that I can see that will be played.
With that said, there will be lots of basic energy cards in decks since we are losing DRE, Scramble, Holon Energies, Boost, and a bunch of others.

SO, what's so bad about Energy Search over the basic energy?
I can understand some decks that need the energy to attack/discard etc. and in those cases I can see the energy being more useful than energy search.

BUT in many decks, Energy Search simply thins the deck, which is a GOOD thing. Energy Search can potentially reduce the deck by 4 cards which can help ensure better topdecks etc.
It is an overlooked card, and personally if you have the space then Energy Search SHOULD be played.

Just another rambling topic.

If you have the space, why run Energy Search when you could run something that is more potent? Roseanne's Reseach can be a double Energy Search and is run in pretty much every deck (imho). I'd rather run 4 Plus Power to do more damage, or run 4 Energy Patches (card in next set, bring back from discard and attach to 1 poke).

If you have the space, why run Energy Search when you could run something that is more potent? Roseanne's Reseach can be a double Energy Search and is run in pretty much every deck (imho). I'd rather run 4 Plus Power to do more damage, or run 4 Energy Patches (card in next set, bring back from discard and attach to 1 poke).

Of course you wouldn't just play 4 energy search cause you have space.
What I am saying is, why wouldn't you play it over a basic energy? It thins the deck. Merely drawing a basic energy does not.

Look at this
14 Fighting energy in Deck 1
0 Energy Search in Deck 1

10 Fighting energy in Deck 2
4 Energy Search in Deck 2

Deck 1 is the majority of what I see in decks right now. Next format I believe that Energy Search will see a rise in popularity because it helps thin the deck and increase the amount of good topdecks while acting as an energy itself.

Lol why state something that can only be true as a fact and than put (imho) next to it?

Anyway, I'm not sure if I wanna sacrifice drawing the potential energy that I could if I had played another energy unless the effect warrants it. An 'energy space' that just gets energy really doesn't, and this minimal thinning might end up hurting you when you run low on energy.

Lol why state something that can only be true as a fact and than put (imho) next to it?

Anyway, I'm not sure if I wanna sacrifice drawing the potential energy that I could if I had played another energy unless the effect warrants it. An 'energy space' that just gets energy really doesn't, and this minimal thinning might end up hurting you when you run low on energy.

That is why Night Maintenance can be used to bring back energy when/if needed.
It may be considered "minimal" deck thinning, but that is essentially what Pokedex and Quick Ball and Dusk Ball. They all only get 1 card, but when played in multiples it soon becomes clear that you are running through your deck at a much faster pace than you normally do with your 1 Supporter per turn.

That is why Night Maintenance can be used to bring back energy when/if needed.
It may be considered "minimal" deck thinning, but that is essentially what Pokedex and Quick Ball and Dusk Ball. They all only get 1 card, but when played in multiples it soon becomes clear that you are running through your deck at a much faster pace than you normally do with your 1 Supporter per turn.

Well all ball trainers are pretty bad save maybe master and great, so I don't see your point...
Why would I wanna waste Night Maintenance on ENERGY, then have to search it back out? Seems like you gear yourself to worse mid to late game situations, which are never good.

Here's a few good things going against it:

Turn 1: First player can't use any trainers. Wanted to set up? Too bad, cause you can't play the Energy search in your hand. If only it had been an energy...

Absol SW: I know these are still played sometimes, and if they hit your energy search, they can discard a second card.

Kabutops MD: Pretty obvious here. As long as your opponent has one active, your energy searches aren't going anywhere

No.
They don't get 1 card, they can possibly get more of your different cards (for example, Dusk Ball can get any Pokémon).
Energy Search can get only one type of card if you don't play a multi-colored deck.

Your deck thinning theory sounds nice, but in addition to the problem of running out of energy earlier you are overlooking the disadventages of Energy Search.

- when you go first, you can't play trainer cards - wouldn't it be better to have an energy for your starter in this case?
- it may happen rarely, but there are situations where you can't play a trainer card (Kabutops, Vileplume, Exploud etc)
- if you only look at the card type, basic energy cards are more flexible than trainer cards - they can be searched and recovered easily and react to lots of powers and attacks (Togekiss for example, which will be played a lot more next season)
- in case you have to discard something (Felicity's Drawing etc.) you rather want to discard an energy than a trainer card (think about Kingdra, Garchomp Lv.X or other Pokémon that take high use of energy in the discard pile, but no use of trainer cards in there... and even if you don't play them, there is still Night Maintenance)

Since everyone's so stupidly incapable of distinguishing fact from opinion, depressingly illiterate, and blindly eager to prove themselves, we have to qualify every damn thing we say with "IMHO" or "IMO" or we risk some glory-hungry scrub jumping on our back and proudly missing the fact that if he said it, it's his damn opinion.

BTW, I'd like an order of No Energy Search, please.

Since everyone's so stupidly incapable of distinguishing fact from opinion, depressingly illiterate, and blindly eager to prove themselves, we have to qualify every damn thing we say with "IMHO" or "IMO" or we risk some glory-hungry scrub jumping on our back and proudly missing the fact that if he said it, it's his damn opinion.

BTW, I'd like an order of No Energy Search, please.

It's a given it's your opinion since you're posting on your account. A statement like "every deck plays roseannes" is about as opinion as "the world is round" unless the person saying either of those is blind then it isn't opinion. Certainly, a person may believe in a fact thereby making it also their opinion but restating the obvious is annoying as well as unnecessary since if it is actually true none will dispute it.

^/^^ lol
Energy search seems more like a thinning card then something that would actually be helpful.
Sure it helps you thin out your deck for better top decks, but its just so much more convenient to run basic energy instead, mostly for the reasons already stated.

It's a given it's your opinion since you're posting on your account. A statement like "every deck plays roseannes" is about as opinion as "the world is round" unless the person saying either of those is blind then it isn't opinion. Certainly, a person may believe in a fact thereby making it also their opinion but restating the obvious is annoying as well as unnecessary since if it is actually true none will dispute it.

Ah, it seems I deal with more idiots than you do and/or hate people more than you do. lol

It depends on the deck. The only good energy searcher is Roseanne, but it can get basics (only that great in early game). If you've got the extra spots, go for it. You can play as many each turn as you want.

It depends on the deck. The only good energy searcher is Roseanne, but it can get basics (only that great in early game). If you've got the extra spots, go for it. You can play as many each turn as you want.

Roseanne's is great even during the later stages, the fact it doubles up as a psuedo-Call Energy early in the game is a great bonus, though.

I think it would be somewhat value if you are a beginning player and are running a two or 3 tone deck. You need a particular energy type and you don't have it. Energy search works well in that case. However I dislike energy search because it is inefficient. It is a straight one for one trade. Card advantage is huge in most CCGs and this card is not so hot for that reason. There are several pokemon that allow you to get the energies you need quickly. Since I am relatively new to pokemon, I have found a great use for another often disparaged trainer....Rival. I use Rival for that purpose (getting energies). Most people hate it, but getting 3 cards for one is a better thinning card, and often your opponent will choose energy cards usually. I also like roseanne's too, and it is easy why most people see it as a staple.

So if your hard up on getting the right energy at the right time, and prefer trainers over supporters, than energy search is ok, but if you are looking for a good thinner I would go with Rival instead.

I think it would be somewhat value if you are a beginning player and are running a two or 3 tone deck. You need a particular energy type and you don't have it. Energy search works well in that case. However I dislike energy search because it is inefficient. It is a straight one for one trade. Card advantage is huge in most CCGs and this card is not so hot for that reason. There are several pokemon that allow you to get the energies you need quickly. Since I am relatively new to pokemon, I have found a great use for another often disparaged trainer....Rival. I use Rival for that purpose (getting energies). Most people hate it, but getting 3 cards for one is a better thinning card, and often your opponent will choose energy cards usually. I also like roseanne's too, and it is easy why most people see it as a staple.

So if your hard up on getting the right energy at the right time, and prefer trainers over supporters, than energy search is ok, but if you are looking for a good thinner I would go with Rival instead.

uhh. No, just . . . no.

I find Energy Search to be useful in multi color low energy count decks like a Porygon or a Garchomp deck.
You want to give these decks as much variety in energy as possible, witch limits the total amount of any specific color. So if you go heavy on Psy, Fighting, and Water you still throw at least 1 or 2 of each color energy in your deck. 2 or 3 Energy Search can be a life saver in a Garchomp deck when you face a Rogue Metal or Lighting deck.

I guess my point is it is not just a newbe card, it has a place in the current game.

You have the wrong underrated card. Energy Search is useless except maybe for maybe PorygonZ.
You wanna talk about useless Energy Something Trainers, let's talk about Energy Switch, that's the play!

true is you exchanged 4 energy for 4 energy searches your deck would thin quicker and claydol could work through it faster

Back