Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

EX Dragon Prerelease in Portland, Oregon - Nov. 15th

Big Daddy Snorlax

Administrator
Staff member
Dragon Prerelease Tournament

Date – Saturday, November 15, 2003
Start Time – 11:00 AM (Registration begins at 10:00)
Fee - $20.00

Location - Monarch Hotel & Conference Center
Address - 12566 S.E. 93rd Avenue
City – Clackamas (Near Clackamas Towne Center Mall)
State - Oregon

Information Contact – [email protected]

PRIZES

All Players get 6 EX Dragon Boosters and an exclusive Dragon Prerelease Promo card!!!
The top 8 players in each of the three age divisions (10 & under, 11 to 14, 15 & over) get the following prizes:

1st Place - 1 Box of Pokémon EX Dragon Booster Packs
2nd Place - 18 Pokémon EX Dragon Booster Packs
3rd Place - 9 Pokémon EX Dragon Booster Packs
4th Place - 9 Pokémon EX Dragon Booster Packs
5-8th Place - 4 Pokémon EX Dragon Booster Packs

We'll be doing drawings for door prizes between every round. We'll also have the ever popular Mystery Box on hand, restocked with Promos, foils and a few new surprises. :eek:

Side Event - Constructed Deck, Modified Format Tournament

Following the main tournament we will run a Modified format, constructed deck tournament. We will use the EON format, which means that only E-cards from the Expedition set forward are legal. Promos released by Nintendo/PUI are also allowed. EX Dragon cards WILL NOT be legal, due to the fact that they are not readily available to all players. We will play 4 or 5 rounds of age modified Swiss, depending on how many people participate. You don’t want to miss this one, as it should be a very competitive tournament. Oh yes, did I mention that there is also a FULL BOX of EX Dragon boosters on the line for 1st place. We will split another box or two (depending on how many players sign up) between 2nd through 8th places, so get those modified decks ready! The cost on this one is $10.00.

Side Event - Theme Deck Challenge

If there are players who do not participate in the prerelease tournament (although I can’t believe you would miss the chance to play the new set before it is out in stores), or if we get some players who decide to drop out after a few rounds, we wanted to offer something to keep you busy. We decided on a Theme Deck Challenge, so whenever 8 players sign up, we will run one. To keep the cost reasonable, we will use cards and decks from older sets (Base, Jungle, Fossil or Team Rocket most likely). You will get a random deck and three boosters to use in putting together a 40-card deck. We will have plenty of energy, so you won’t have to rely on the energy that comes in the deck. After putting together your deck (you will have 30 minutes to do this), you will play three 3o minute rounds in a Swiss tournament (everyone plays in all three rounds). 1st place will win a couple EX Dragon booster packs and maybe some older product. We might even be able to find a little something for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place too. The cost of these tournaments will be $5.00, which isn’t too bad for a deck and three boosters.

BDS

Last edited:
I will be coming to this awesome event. Man the Monarch Hotel is a GREAT place. I can not waite to see the new cards. I'm soooooo excited!!

:D :pokeball: :D

BDS:

As one of the officers of the Ash Ketchem Society, I was hoping to set up a booth at this tournemnt to encourage more to join the club. Would this be OK with you??

Sorry, this might seem a stupid question, I being out of the pokemon loop for a half year or two. Exactly what is the format and rules for this tourney, as I will be there? :eek: Thanks in advance :D
P.S. I got the flyer at my game shop. I am glad for a breath of a tournament arround here. I have been playing myself for about 2 months. :p Now If I only had more money to buy cards...

Last edited:
Well.......at league to day, I talked to several persons...

It looks like there are 8 potential players going to Portland from here in Seattle......

AbsolutelyNobody said:
Sorry, this might seem a stupid question, I being out of the pokemon loop for a half year or two. Exactly what is the format and rules for this tourney, as I will be there? :eek: Thanks in advance :D

Format of the event:

The prerelease tournament will be at least 4 rounds (usually about 6 or 7) of sealed deck format. Actual event length will be based on attendance. Players receive 6 sealed boosters of Pokémon-e TCG: EX Dragon, and construct a deck using those cards.

Starting the Event

1. As players arrive at the event location, they sign-up and pay their entry fee.

2. At the start of the event, players will receive 6 boosters of Pokémon-e TCG: EX Dragon.

3. They will have 30 minutes to build a 40-card deck. The tournament organizer will be supplied with Energy cards for the event. The organizer will then pair the players, using the age-modified swiss pairing system.

Tournament Structure

4. Each round will be sealed deck, using age-modified swiss pairings. Players will have 30 minutes to complete each round, with each player putting out 4 Prize cards instead of the normal 6. Players will play in all rounds, win or lose.

End of Tournament

5. At the end of the tournament, scores will be totalled. Players receive 3 points for each win, 1 point for each draw, and 0 points for a loss.

6. Prizes are awarded to the top players in each age category, reflecting the age categories of 15+, 11-14, and 10 & under.

Do I hear the feint cry of ................

Oh well, we will see who cries the most when we Seattle folk get to Portland and sweep........

Details on the side events:
Side Event - Constructed Deck, Modified Format Tournament

Following the main tournament we will run a Modified format, constructed deck tournament. We will use the EON format, which means that only E-cards from the Expedition set forward are legal. Promos released by Nintendo/PUI are also allowed. EX Dragon cards WILL NOT be legal, due to the fact that they are not readily available to all players. We will play 4 or 5 rounds of age modified Swiss, depending on how many people participate. You don’t want to miss this one, as it should be a very competitive tournament. Oh yes, did I mention that there is also a FULL BOX of EX Dragon boosters on the line for 1st place. We will split another box or two (depending on how many players sign up) between 2nd through 8th places, so get those modified decks ready! The cost on this one is $10.00.

Side Event - Theme Deck Challenge

If there are players who do not participate in the prerelease tournament (although I can’t believe you would miss the chance to play the new set before it is out in stores), or if we get some players who decide to drop out after a few rounds, we wanted to offer something to keep you busy. We decided on a Theme Deck Challenge, so whenever 8 players sign up, we will run one. To keep the cost reasonable, we will use cards and decks from older sets (Base, Jungle, Fossil or Team Rocket most likely). You will get a random deck and three boosters to use in putting together a 40-card deck. We will have plenty of energy, so you won’t have to rely on the energy that comes in the deck. After putting together your deck (you will have 30 minutes to do this), you will play three 3o minute rounds in a Swiss tournament (everyone plays in all three rounds). 1st place will win a couple EX Dragon booster packs and maybe some older product. We might even be able to find a little something for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place too. The cost of these tournaments will be $5.00, which isn’t too bad for a deck and three boosters.

BDS

Pokeplayer said:
Do I hear the feint cry of ................

Oh well, we will see who cries the most when we Seattle folk get to Portland and sweep........
mwahahaha, do you think you guys(and/or gals) can get past the Defending Champion from the Sandstorm Prerelease? :p
I'm just jokin' of course, if I play, I'd prolly get slaughtered, BADLY. :D :cool: like all the games I played in the Sandstorm prerelease, I won because of alot of good luck. ;)

Last edited:
Can't wait to get there......

I want to try out my new modified deck..........what will it be.....
you'll have to show up and find out.....

BDS and others... Just one day to go...

BJ and I are leaving to night. spend the night at Grandma' house and be there bright and early to play and...........conquer....

MonkeyMan said:
who won? ;\

After 7 Rounds of AMS:

Joel Anderson (11 to 14 Age group) Won the overall Tournement

Here is the list of top 8 by age group:

15+
Matt Simpkins
Joshua Badeaux (Sandstorm Champ)
Gordon Fong
Richard Scott
Daniel Smolenster
Dawon Bethel
Terry Kamm
Matthew Chin

11-14

Joel Anderson
Ian Roberts
Trevor Giblin
Joel Hamlik
Doug Carter
Paul Johnson
Nathan Hite
Alan Favier

10 and Under

Robert Brown
Evan Burchell
Brendon Fong
Kyle Snow
Brandon Drog
Andy Johnson
Joshua Gettys
Alyssa Anderson

We had 68 Players which was 22 more than at the Sandstorm Prerelease. I think it is safe to say Pokemon is alive and well in Portland Oregon.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to all the players, it was nice to see a great group of people!!

I also would like to thank Terry Kamm, who donated a Holiday Tin for the Sportsmanship award, which was presented to Jack Sanderson (10 and under).

I will see you all at THE SEATTLE PRERELEASE NEXT SATURDAY!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the mention TimmyTwoTone.
Anyway, this was a great event, it was really really fun, for the most part.
10 and Under

Robert Brown
Evan Burchell
Brendon Fong
Brandon Drog
Andy Johnson
Joshua Gettys
Alyssa Anderson
Jack Schumpert

I don't want to try to start a fight or anything, but wasn't "Kyle"(sorry, but I can't remember his last name), in the top8?

EDIT:The kids name is Kyle Snow, I'm pretty sure he did make top8 in 10-, in fact, he was tied for first in 10- going into the final round.

Last edited:
Back