Ex-ped On format, not highly received

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Espeonus Maximus, Nov 6, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espeonus Maximus

Espeonus Maximus New Member

The new Expedition On format was not highly received in our league.
    Our first tournament couldn't even be sanctioned, not enough players with qualified decks.

The ones that did complained terribly of top decking, due to the limited draw cards, all of which are supporters.
    That along with a new packaging system that makes getting Stage 2 pokemon, nearly impossible!!!!!!!! This format just sucks.

I personally refuse to play EON and I'm not about to get into the Unlimited Format that includes Sneasels.

Does Ninetendo want me and others like me to quit???

WOTC, gave us two options, but made it feasible for the games to flow, Ninetendo has not.

I don't mind the E-On format if they would give us the Bills and Elms back.

Pokémon, is at too fragile a state to be running off players like this!!!!

2. NoTime4LoveDrJ

NoTime4LoveDrJ New Member

The E-On format looks too boring to play, honestly. The only decent draw power is from Delcatty, or supporters... And while I love a slow game, my league consists of slow decks that are Unlimited. So my ability to enjoy long games is nice, because absolutely nobody here has any decks involving Slowking, Sneasel, or other popular, fast Pokemon.

Every good draw card is a supporter, every healing card is pretty pitiful, and there's no real disruption.

Oddly enough, if they simply included Legendary Collection in the new format, it would be a decent thing. Maybe keep Professor Elm and Recycle Energy. I dunno, I just don't like the format. I've been playing since Fossil, and I never really saw reason to complain about the formats, but E-On just sucks, plain and simple.

3. Flippin treeko

Flippin treeko New Member

If you think stage 2's are hard to get now just wait till it goes 'N'-on......2 rare/uncommon cards in a pack if your foil is a common which statistically is pretty common. Skyridge is my fave so I'll not complain too much Houndoom(D) rox, but I know where your coming from.

4. Espeonus Maximus

To prove my point, I looked at the tournament results posted on the rankings site:
    The highest participation rate was 14 for an Unlimited format.
    62 people participating Nation wide, hello

This should be a big enough wake up call for the guys at Ninetendo.

5. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

First off, the ranking site doesn't have all the people listed. Even though my league has been in some tournaments, they are not listed. It takes time to list every league in the united states.

For E-On. SOrry you don't like the metagame but plenty of other people do. I thought it was quite funny how you went crazy over losing one card, Elm. The decks now are just like the decks before just with no Elm, and I guess that makes a whole flipping freak to you. Even before E-On was announced, people were not playing Elm, just to see how it was. Nobody found it devastating, just alittle bit harder. I myself never played Elm before so I was snug like a rug.

All I am getting at is that people still have alot of drawing cards, IMO way better than elm. Professor Oak's Research is alot better than elm because it is an supporter meaning you get 5 new cards, and you can still play trainers. Copycat is just like it, giving you sometimes alot of cards and sometimes not. You have Professor Birch to fill your hand, and you have Desert Shaman to change your opponent's hand. Add in cards like Delcatty and nobody even cares about Elm anymore.

Stage 2's aren't hard to get out. You have elm's training method, rare candy, that other card from sandstorm, and fast ball. Gosh, what can you ask for? Heck you got masterball to get it. You have oracle to get it. You have cards that let you search your deck for any card. Can't get stage 2's, yeah right.

Espeonus Maximus, Nintendo is not at fault because your league could not make legal decks for a tournament. I hate to say it, but your league is at fault. If you want to play in such a format as Modified, you MUST buy the new cards. No choice.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2003
  6. NoPoke

NoPoke Active Member

Nationwide??? Nah there are only 62 players worldwide by that logic :D

A lot of the for and against EXON was covered in an earlier thread. There is no doubt that EXON will be different to Trainermon. Will the game be better or worse? Well I know that I don't have the answer to that question. Some will like the new pokemon focused game and others won't. *shrugs*

7. Espeonus Maximus

Prime, You really should read what was postedEdit.

If you play in a sanctioned tournament, then its on the website. Its all computerized now, once Ninetendo sanctions you, it's up to you TO to do the rest. Ninetendo doesn't update tournament events, the TOs are responsible for that. If your rankings aren't up there, then that's your TOs fault.
    There's approxiametely 8 stores that cared and had enough backing that went through the loops to get sanctioned. That should be a strong enough indicator on the interest in this game.

I said that stage 2 ARE HARD to PULL from PACKS, they are definitely easier to get out in the game, if you don't mind waiting forever, to draw the darn cards. It is partially NINETENDO's fault that players don't want to buy the packs, with the crap they put in them, I don't blame them. I bought 8 packs the other day, no useful trainers (Lum Berry Yoohoo), no stage 2 pokemon, 25.00 down the drain.
    Secondly, it wasn't just one card, Elm, but I did include the awesome BILL.
    You said you don't play Elms, maybe you guys were behind the times. We'd use Elms, Copycats, Bill's and Prof Oak's Research to move through a Stage 2 deck quickly. I personally used the stage 1 Espeon with energy evolution Eevee, so ripping through my deck wasn't necessary.

The trainers from the available series for this format, SUCK. So what if you can Copycat for that Potion.
    Here's a history lesson for you, before Elms you had Oaks, Pokemon has provided draw power from the start, now we get CRAPPY supporters with even CRAPPIER trainers.

All I'm saying, is that Ninetendo could've Modified the format with the Best promos that were printed AFTER Expedition, but they didn't. Probably b/c of some stupid crap with WOTC.

I've played in several E-On matches and it usually breaks down the same way, both players stall to get the #1 pokemon powered up. When they finally do, their opponents has theirs powered up. Then they stall till they get their second and sometime third pokemon powered up, so it ends up in a flurry of blows late in the game or one player decks. If we were playing with time limits then it would've been a tie.
    The people who had requested the E-On format expected the Best Elms to be included.

We could have 30 league members with the old format, now we are cut in half, with barely 8 showing up for tournaments.

Pokemon is no longer on an island by itself, kids would rather spend their money on Yugioh! and now it seems Yu Yu Hakusho. With those big guns in the arena, Ninetendo has to realize that they needs to rethink their pricing, packaging and promotions.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2003
  8. sneaselsrevenge

sneaselsrevenge New Member

I'm sure he meant in the deck, not packs. Anyway, if you have trouble getting you're stage 2's out, blame your deck not the format. More games than not, I can get all 4 Gardevoir/EX in my deck out by turn 7 if not sooner.

9. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Espeonus Maximus ,

mmm controversial postings and accusations of people being behind the times? The player does protest to much methinks.

Really there are plenty of ways to get the cards you need out of your deck.. a great card pool and a real mix of achitypes ..

Eon is fine by me and who cares if Elm is gone there is a new format in town and you'll either play it or not... me I going to play it... personally I am glad the game has changed the last thing we want is stagnation ...

10. farbsman

farbsman New Member

Actually, it takes like 5 minutes to sign up to be a TO, just takes a little time to get a reply back if your accepted (I think it was a week). Also you have to factor in that many of the people that constantly sanctioned tournaments with Wizards are now Premier To's for Pokemon USA and it takes a lot of time to set up a prerelease event. I have been getting ready for a month and still haven't gotten everything ready. Many of the PTO's haven't even received there ID# and passwords so they could sanction tournaments.

Don't forget, the holiday shopping season is also coming up. Many stores stop running leagues and tournaments this time of year and so they are not sanctioning tournaments. Kinda gets old parents droping there kids off at your store so they can go Christmas Shopping. We had a few kids last year that were at the league and didn't even have cards. There parents went Christmas shopping and needed a place for the kids. So they dropped them off there. This causes many stores to close leagues during this time of year. That and there just isn't enough room to run a tournament, and have people holiday shopping.

Pokemon USA just took over the game and sanctioning about a month ago, it takes time to set everything up. Since they can't use anything Wizards had as far as tournament software, webpage, ect. everything is still being set up. You have to be patient. It isn't that the stores don't care or like the format, it is just a really busy time of the year. Even if the stores didn't like the modified format, they can still sanction unlimited and limited formats.

It is kinda funny you mention Yu-Gi-Oh. We just canceled 2 of the leagues in the area for Yu-Gi-Oh, lack of interest :)

I really see no problem with Pokemon USA's pricing. In fact last time I checked a store pokemon packs were at $3.29 and yugioh was something like $4. The only real problem with pricing is hobby stores and chain stores mark up the cards way to high. Not Nintendo's fault. They sell the cards to distrubutors for a lot less then they are selling them for.

I see a lot more promotions for Pokemon then I do Yu-Gi-Oh. I can think of 2 big prerelease tournaments for Pokemon. When was the last time Yu-Gi-Oh had a prerelease, or a tournament other then there mall tours? We have prerelease tournaments, leagues throughout thee country, city championships coming up next year, and who knows what else.

Out of the 55 players I have between my two leagues, I have yet to hear anyone complain about not being able to get stage 1 and stage 2 pokemon out. That is what Fastball, and many other cards do.

11. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze New Member

re:

I've given this plenty of thought for over 2 years now. I am still convinced that if Pokemon is to survive the long haul that older card sets need to be included in the official format. Within that format there can be banned and/or restricted cards. WOTC did not have the power to do that at the time but correct me if Im wrong Nintendo does have the power to restrict/ban cards. It is the only way to bring back and keep players for survival of this awesome TCG. Other TCG's have banned/restricted cards. Pokemon has been around long enough to have that same opportunity.

My son and I still play. We no longer attend the one and only League that our Metropolitan area has to offer because of School and Sports commitments. There are no Tourneys in our area anymore. We drive 2.5 hours to go to every single Pre-release that Nintendo offers. We will continue to do so to support this game.

12. Flippin treeko

Flippin treeko New Member

The packs need 1 more uncommon/rare nono-holo card to make them even up with the exp-sky boosters, I'm shelling out £20-£30 a week to get a decent selection of multiple evos........if I'm misunderstanding, appolgies :) But I still think the ratios suX.

13. Espeonus Maximus

Let me re-iterate:
    I'm NOT having trouble getting stage 2 out, during play.

What I am complaining about, is exactly the same thing Flippin treeko is facing.

Out of 25.00 worth of packs, I get ZERO stage 2 pokemon!!!
    8 packs and not one single Stage 2 pokemon.
    Honestly, how many packs do they expect me to buy to make ONE solid deck, with halfway decent Pokemon?

Am I suppose to Zigazoon my way to the top, or is this a rich man's game?

14. TeamRocket4Life

TeamRocket4Life New Member

Wasn't the point of a 9 card pack to cancel out the cost of the games yu got from scanning the vertical E-card stripe? The same stripe that no longer exists?

Pokemon E-cards don't provide video games when scanned anymore. Why not go back to 11 per pack?

15. farbsman

farbsman New Member

There are only 6 stage 2 pokemon in Sandstorm not counting the EX pokemon. If you count them then there is only 10.

Out of the 6 stage 2 pokemon, 4 are holo rares, 2 are non-holo rares

The holo rares are:

Armaldo
    Cradily
    Ludicolo
    Shiftry

The non holo rares are

Omastar
    Shiftry (different from holo rare)

The EX stage 2 Pokemon are:

Aggon EX
    Gardevoir EX
    Kabutops EX
    Typhlosion EX

Since there are 100 cards in the set, the chances are slim you will get a stage 2.

Ruby Sapphire set had 11 Stage 2 Pokemon, 8 were holo-rare, 3 were non-holo rare

That may be why your having trouble getting them.

16. Prime

17. jesschow12

jesschow12 New Member

new format?!?!?

well the supporter is also wasted the first turn and ALSO they get less drawing cards than elm! WHATS MORE the trainers in e-on sucks!!

but did you get the cards u want???

if nintendo doesnt like it,then the player playing the nintendo new format doesnt like their format too! u didnt care for other ppl's thought

u expect the delcatty act as a trainer and the whole world buys the delcatty just for drawing cards?!?!

oh i see then ask them to play with us and the others watch who's faster

of course we will just because of your format!! if it isnt for your format then the league including other country would have sign up for it and more ppl join

oh now u saying everyone should get EX and play instead of stage 2 normal pokemon especially the ones in the holo? no stage 2 in 8 packs but a EX stage 2 pokemon will definitly show up

what about the collectors? some of us really does not play pokemon well but they love the cards ,but now it seems like WE have to play new crads well then we like the new cards?

now in my own opinion:

since the new format is out in june,many ppl in our country still follow the wizard's rule up till now or even forever because the reason is the ruling of the format.Just because of the format it scares alot of player and causing them to quit and join other tcg,but the rest of them follow the old rules including me and also many ppl quit pokemon because of the EX thing making unfair to the unlimited deck .Higher HP than the old ones and making too defensive like until unbeatable .ALSO the new format doesnt have much drawing cards and its like a newbie years ago playing pokemon drawing cards like mad ,too slow,boring and no good cards

and 1 more thing thats remind me of the 1st MF format

new format vs very old format

dark vileplume = armaldo

old format: they ban dark vileplume and make the neo gen and up formats

new format: armaldo still alive!! making the game slower than u think!! and also the drawing cards trainer are mostly supporter!

18. Prime

19. NoTime4LoveDrJ

NoTime4LoveDrJ New Member

Therein lies everyone's argument. With the exception of Delcatty, every one of the aforementioned cards is a supporter. That's simply annoying.

20. dkates

dkates New Member

There's also Ancient Ruins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.