Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

EX Rules question

Son of Leod

Are the EX pokemon considered to be "different" from their regular versions? i.e. Could I use 4 MP Mewtwo and 4 Mewtwo EX in the same deck?

Son of Leod said:
Are the EX pokemon considered to be "different" from their regular versions? i.e. Could I use 4 MP Mewtwo and 4 Mewtwo EX in the same deck?

Yes. This question is similar to what ask in Compedium few days back!!!!(As far as I could recall)!!!! ;)

No i think you can't use your 4 MP Mewtwo and 4 Mewtwo EX in the same deck, cause there mewtwo's and it doesn't matter if there ex or not it's the same Pokémon so you can only choose 4 mewtwos (the ones you want) :)
It would be nice if we could use more than four Pokémon of the same name but we can't.

Last edited:
PKMN_JTA said:
No i think you can't use your 4 MP Mewtwo and 4 Mewtwo EX in the same deck, cause there mewtwo's and it doesn't matter if there ex or not it's the same Pokémon so you can only choose 4 mewtwos (the ones you want) :)
It would be nice if we could use more than four Pokémon of the same name but we can't.

PKMN JTA, they dont have the same name. One is "Mewtwo" the other is "Mewtwo EX". You can have four of each in your deck.

Certain deck ideas have been born based upon the fact that the EX pokemon have a different name:

the 12 Mewtwos deck - 4x Rocket's Mewtwo, 4x Mewtwo EX, 4x Mewtwo
the 12 Sneasels deck - (well, I think you get the idea :))

(somewhere there was even a 13 of something deck...)

But when you have a 4 blaine's charizard and 4 charizards you can only use 4(the ones you want) or can you use them all :confused:
I said that before about the mewtwo's cause since I play Pokémon I always tought and eard that what I said whas true :(

Last edited:
PKMN_JTA said:
But when you have a 4 blaine's charizard and 4 charizards you can only use 4(the ones you want) or can you use them all :confused:
I said that before about the mewtwo's cause since I play Pokémon I always tought and eard that what I said whas true :(

Yes, you can have 4 Blaine's Charizard and 4 Charizard in the same deck (as well as a Shining Charizard) - they're all different named Pokemon.

The name of the card is the entire name, not just the Pokemon name. So Blaine's Charizard is a different name than Charizard and therefore you can play 4 of each.

If someone were crazy enough to do it, they could have 4 Charizard, 4 Dark Charizard, 4 Blaine's Charizard, and a Shining Charizard, all in one deck. Not I said you'd have to be pretty crazy...

RainbowRichards said:
Yes, you can have 4 Blaine's Charizard and 4 Charizard in the same deck (as well as a Shining Charizard) - they're all different named Pokemon.

Thanks cause cause this was one dought i have since i play Pokémon.
:) :D :thumb: :clap:

yes, as the names are not the same, then you can have 4 of each in the deck. The main exception is the Unowns, where you can only have 4 Unown pokemon total, regardless of the letters, but that's because it is written on the cards.

Dkates, bear in mind that Dark Charizard evolves from Dark Charmeleon, which evolves from -regular- Charmander. Therefore, as you can only have 4 regular charmanders, having 4 Dark Charizards and 4 Regular Charizards would be something of a waste, as you'd never be able to have 6 of them out at a time (I would say 8, but there isn't that much bench space). I'd say go 2 darks and 2 regular chars if you really want them. One of my younger friends has a deck like that, and it works quite well.

I said you'd have to be crazy to do it, didn't I? I was NOT suggesting anyone do it, merely stating that it was a technical possibility.

Picture yes, title no. From the Expedition rulebook, p. 18 under "How Do You Make a New Deck?", "A card counts as the same as another card if it has the same name--it doesn't matter whether the cards have different art or come from different sets. So, for example, you could have 4 Misty's Staryu and 4 Staryu in your deck, but you can't have more than 4 Pokemon named Staryu total even if they were different versions of Staryu."

Back