Experimenting with EX-on decks: Ampharos ex

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Misdreavus, Mar 17, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misdreavus

Misdreavus Member

My friend and I are starting to practice making and playing with EX-on decks (decks only containing cards from EX Ruby & Sapphire on) for when the format changes sometime later this year. We use POR in our decks because it is being re-released in an upcoming set, as is my understanding. The big problem with this format is the lack of a card to take the place of Town Voulenteers. We have Energy Recycle System to get back basic energies, but there is absolutely nothing to get back Pokémon with. The loss of PETM and Oracle is also painful and causes evolution to be greatly slowed down. There are only 2 cards that we have now to get out evolutions: Wally's Training and Poké Ball, neither of which I would feel comfortable playing. Delcatty can be of some use to get evolutions and is basically very helpful in EX-on decks due to loss of draw power (even though we lose Oracle), but the big problem is actually getting the Delcatty out since there is usually only 2 of them in your deck (and more than 2 is really unnecessary and excessive IMO). Ampharos ex decks suffer from the loss of EXP Amphy and Nurse, and I made an attempt to get the deck to properly run without those cards or any basic evolution searching power. Here it is:

Pokémon (21):
    4x Mareep
    2x Flaaffy
    3x Ampharos ex
    2x Skitty (Double-edge)
    2x Delcatty (holo)
    2x Magnemite (Random Spark)
    2x Magneton (rare)
    4x Dunsparce

Trainers (24):
    4x POR
    4x TV Reporter
    3x Rare Candy
    3x Warp Point
    3x Conspirator
    3x Energy Recycle System
    2x Switch
    2x Low Pressure System

Energies (15):
    15x :lightning

Surprisingly, I can get usually Ampharos ex out very fast without even using Energy Draw. The problem is getting Delcatty, Magneton, and multiple Ampharos ex out. Delcatty usually can't come out until turn... 15(!!)... or so. Magneton can usually come a bit sooner, but not very early. So far, this deck is 0-3... losing twice to my e-on Gardevoir/ex deck and once to my Neo-on Entei/Cargo deck. The loss to the Gardevoir deck is due to one huge problem -- THIS DECK CAN NOT HANDLE WOBBUFFET. I run a 4/4 Wynaut/Wobbuffet line in my Gardy deck and I usually have a fully-powered Wobb on turn 3. Flaaffy is of little use since he can only do 30 while he sits there and takes 50. Magneton has potential against Wobb, but I have yet to have him out against Wobb with any more than 4 Energies in play (I have to constantly retreat to stall until I can get something to help me against Wobb), and 1 or 2 70/80 HP Magnetons CANNOT compete wiith 4 Wobbuffet. Delcatty can kill Wobbuffet, but he takes way too long to power up, and it is a crucial energy loss next turn when Gardy/ex comes out and smacks the energy-stacked Delcatty with Energy Burst/Psystorm. If you have multiple Wobbuffets out, the other ones can do some serious damage to Delcatty even if he is able to OHKO them. As much as I've tried, I have found nothing capable of standing up to Wobbuffet and he completely destroys my deck. I even had a lot problems against him with an e-on Amphy deck. I have thought of the Amphy ex "Psysplash" deck, but even if I were to play an insane amount of Wobbuffet in my deck to counter other Wobbs, I still have huge problems vs. Gardy. Even if I can get out 4 Wobbuffet on my side throughout the game, it can't compete with the 4 Wobbuffet, 2 Gardy, 2 Gardy ex, or even the 2 Kirlia that can come out on the Gardy side throughout the game that can all OHKO Wobb. Can anyone think of a way to counter Wobbuffet? I have looked around but nothing appears to be of use. Deck fixes are also appreciated. Thanks.

2. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Hmmm... I actually like Linoone better than Delcatty with the loss of Oracle... it gets a Quicker set up.... then you can put in Wally's Training, and get a turn 2 Linoone finding any cards you need ASAP.... just my 2 cents for an EX-on deck...

Though I am not sure, but I thought we also got Master Ball back as well...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  3. skarmory777

skarmory777 New Member

like misdreavus said delcatty doesn't come out until turn 15 or so what good is a different line going to do?replace the 2-2 delcatty with 2-2 linoone it's the same situation.Theres no electric type that can go h2h with wobbuffet right now.In the following sets we will get i think 3-4 new electric lines.Maybe there will be something in there to replace with.Other than that the deck looks good.

4. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Misdreavus, what you said about the Wobby...why do you play four? There's only reason to play two or three (I play two since I'm gonna run SSeal Trode in my Gardy deck) because Wynaut alluring smiles for them! ^_^

Onto the deck...the pokemon are good. Don't change a thing.

Trainers: Here's where the work is needed. You said evolution was a problem? Okay then, I'll fix that.

Drawing/Searching engine:
    4 POR
    3 TV Reporter
    3 Wally's Training

Play Wally's Training, it can get Amphy EX second turn, not fully powered, but ready for its effect to kick in. It can also be VERY useful with Sparce's ability to switch with a benched pokemon. You should definitely, at this point, be playing at least 2 Wally's Training in every EXon deck unless your deck CAN NOT afford to ditch anything. It can help get Kitty out for a second turn energy draw. Your drawing/searching engine wasn't bad, but now you're going to confuse me with your supporting trainers:
    Energy Recycle System? Conspirator? Try again, my friend. Let me show you why you don't need the following cards:

Energy Recycle System? Why? Just use Magneton's power to get the energy back into your hand, and then POR it into your deck. POR serves as both cards in this deck, it is definetely not needed.

Conspirator? Just use draw power. Delcatty plus Magneton equals shazam. Draw power galore.

New trainers:

23 Trainers
    4 POR
    3 TV Reporter
    3 Wally's Training
    2 Switch
    3 Warp Point
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Buffer Piece (tECh against Rayquaza, use this until Castform Normal comes out, ray will need 4 Fire attached to KO you with this, and if you get Amphy out turn two or three, then KO the Quaza)
    2 Low Pressure System

16 Electric Energy should be good. New deck:

Pokemon (20):
    4x Mareep
    2x Flaaffy
    3x Ampharos ex
    2x Skitty (Double-edge)
    2x Delcatty (holo)
    2x Magnemite (Random Spark)
    2x Magneton (rare)
    4x Dunsparce

Trainers (23):
    4x POR
    3x TV Reporter
    4x Rare Candy
    3x Warp Point
    2x Buffer Piece
    2x Switch
    2x Low Pressure System
    3x Wally's Training

Energies (15):
    16x :lightning

Happy gaming! Keep on looking into the future.

5. Misdreavus

Misdreavus Member

Duh... I forgot Magneton was my ERS. I was playing the Conspirators to be safe on energies since I sometimes have energy problems due to Energy Draw (and frequently just from not drawing them out of 5 cards in a POR or something). As far as why I play 4 Wobb in my Gardy deck, my strategy is to Psy Shadow my Wynauts twice each and Baby Evolve them all to Wobbuffet to clear the Psy Shadow damage and have Wobbuffets one energy attachment away from attacking. It works very well for me.

6. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Ok, I said in my pst, PLAY WALLY AND LINOONE....

Now how is that quicker....????

Well, with 4 Wally, and the start off of Linoone or Dunsparce, it is garunteed turn 2 Linoone, and then can search for whatever, prolly about 2-4 turns generally... thats 4-8 cards you need in a few turns, not counting what is drawn during start of turn, or recieved from draw cards.... This garuntees a quick set up if you get it out ASAP...

As far as deailing with Wobbers, best option is to stall a couple of turns preventing KOes if possible and build up Magnetons attack, which is easy to do since energy (other than LC) doesnt need to be attached to it.... I easily have it doing 80+ by mid game generally....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.