Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

First Ruby & Sapphire Challenge Series Event - San Diego, Aug 9th

Chrisbo

Administrator
Staff member
First Ruby & Sapphire Challenge Series Event - San Diego, Aug 9th (and Roll Call)

We have the first date & location for the "hybrid format" (TCG & GBA) Ruby & Sapphire Challenge events. From the Tournament Organizer:
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]The new company promoting Pokemon (Pokemon-USA) has two great events coming to the San Diego area. The first is titled “Ruby & Sapphire Challenge” and the second is the “Sandstorm Prerelease”—for more info on these two events, please see http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/premier_events.html

Both of these events will be held in San Diego at the Holiday Inn Mission Valley Stadium in their Stadium Ballroom. The challenge is on August 9, Saturday, and the Prerelease is on Sept. 6, Saturday.

Where will the Challenge be hosted?
Stadium Ballroom; Holiday Inn Mission Valley Stadium, 3805 Murphy Canyon Rd., San Diego, CA, 92183;
Phone: 858.278.9300;
http://www.vrnational.com/tours/sanms.

When will the Challenge be run?
Saturday, August 9, 2003; Registration begins at 11 AM
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stay tuned to this topic for more information as it becomes available...

See ya,
- CHRISBO
[/font]

Last edited:
UPDATE - New Registration time = 10am???

I just got an e-mail from the T.O. saying registration begins at 10am. However, all the flyers we have distributed say 11am. I'm going to try getting this cleared up, but it couldn't hurt to show up early if you can.

We are also planning on holding some short TCG clinics for those GBA players who aren't as familiar with the card game. So like I said, earlier is better.

See ya,
- CHRISBO

JoelC & JavierC will go to help.
MY bro may also go to HELP.

I'll notify them about this time change.

I'll be out of town.

Last edited:
since I'm not getting an answer at the wizard's boards I'll ask this again here. If I were to win any prize, do you think anyone there would be willing to give somewhere around 75% of that prizes worth in cash in trade? Like, if I got the 200 bucks in nintendo credit, would anyone be willing to pay between 150 and 175 for it? Tahnks.

Hmm, I don't know if the prizes are transferable like that. You would probably have to contact the T.O. on the day of the event.

Sorry,
- CHRISBO

well, actually I am assuming that they aren't transferable. What I meant was that I was wondering if any of the other participants would want to buy the, say, 200 dollars of nintendo credit from me for a lower price. Thanks.

You think YOU SHALL win that?

How presumptuous of you... BUT then you could prove me wrong.

Uh and HOW are we suppose to provide an official answer to this? You find a buyer you find a buyer AND I AM SURE the HEAD TO & Judge could not OFFICIALLY acknowledge your transaction...

Good luck sell.. I mean at the tourney ;)

as I said in the first post where I asked this question, I realize that that question is assuming quite a bit. I'm merely hoping that I win some amount of something that I can sell off because right now, cash is a little tight. Sorry if you think I was being an ass who thinks he's the best at everything. Thanks.

UPDATE - Registration WILL begin at 10am. Now whether we will hold it open until 11am as mentioned in the original flyer is still under debate. Nevertheless, be there early if you can. Thanks.

REMINDER - Here are the restrictions for the GBA portion of the event:
  • Three Pokemon of Lv.50 or lower
  • No two of the same Pokemon
  • Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza are banned
  • No duplicate held items
  • Certain powers (Rest, Recover, etc. are not allowed after 8 minutes into the match (match = 10 min).
  • "Modified" GBA cartridges are not allowed.
PRIZES: Just for clarification, there will be prizes for the winners in each of the three age categories (yes, there will be three $200 Prize Coupons given out). :clap:

See ya,
- CHRISBO

Those that recover HP or others that stall out the match. That's why there is a limit after 8 minutes, so that the round can end with a winner.
-Phil

A move that "stalls the match" is a very vague definition. For example, Double Team can draw out a match by making your Pokémon harder to hit. Cosmic Power can stall out a match by marking a Pokémon harder to knock out. Confuse Ray disrupts your opponents attacks, etc. Even banning moves that heal HP isn't cut and dry. Obviously Recover, Milk Drink, Softboiled and Wish are banned. But how about Giga Drain? It's a popular Grass move, but it heals your Pokémon based on the damage it does. Thats why I was wondering if there was a specific set of moves that are banned after 8 minutes.

Back