Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fishing Engine vs Soviet Engine Part Deux

MrMeches

So I was wondering if Members here recognized or used a Particular Engine during States this weekend and what did you see working and being more consistent?

As the "creator" (some have dubbed this, but it is really just a another engine) of the Fishing Engine, I would like to see the progress and the final outcome thus far of it.

If you would reply with which engine you used and possibly the tweaks you made to produce a positive record, that would be great!!

Unfortunately, my own son didn't use it this weekend and when asked after the fact, he admitted (begrudgingly) that it would've given him a better shot a making the T8... Dad Moment *Told You So*

SO thank and this isn't a poll, but an open conversation to determine the status of the current Engine being used with possible improvements!

~Prof. Fish~

GE Fishing Engine
Original Fishing Engine

Soviet Engine

Last edited:
Gone Fishing?

I used one this weekend, went 4-2, missed top cut.

Claydol is the key to any good deck right now.

I heard the Soviet Engine was disbanded in 1991.

Lol. :lol::lol::lol:

Heres the breakdown,

Fishing engine=

Lots of trainers
less supporters
Needs Claydol
and Good against GG (They can't use trainers with Gardeviors power)
Good for speed

Soviet Engine=

Lots of scott and castaway
Almost must have Porygon2
Good for seting up consistantly quickly

Thats the breakdown.

I play a 'light' Fishing engine in my deck, lots of trainers but still quite a few supporters (I have horrible luck.) and a 2-2 Claydol. It works fine I just need a winning deck to place it in... :rolleyes:

Included Link to the Engines in the first thread as requested by Pop!

Thanks to all the replies so far!

Ok, Im going to add some insight. From a player who hasn't played them in actual tournaments, but has played against them, I believe that the Fishing Engine has been the most successful.

Especially in the current "Metagame." Gardy Players not being able to efficiently use the FEW supporters in the Fishing Engine definitely has its Upsides!

Though I have not used either (yet!), these are my thoughts:

The Fishing Engine is faster, and you can get set up T2 much more easily. However, it is more luck-based then the Soviet Engine, and so, if you want the most consistency, try Soviet. But, in T2 decks like Banette, Blissey, etc., the Fishing Engine (without the Claydol, and instead 4 Quick Balls) is almost a must. More Pokemon = Fishing > Soviet. Oh, and I must say that it helps against G&G/Gardy LOCK sooooooooo much.

The Soviet Engine is more consistent. You are pretty much guaranteed to get what you want, when you want by T3, unless both your Porygon2s are Prized... but anyway, that's against the odds, so I won't go too in-depth on the luck factor... so, back to the point. Your discarding your Scotts for a another Scott, a Ceilio's, and something else. Volbeat/Illumise are great in this, as you reuse Scotts alot. However, I imagine that G&G/Gardy LOCK will have some fun setting up...

Soviet Engine<Fishing Engine.

Soviet:

1-1 to 2-2 Volbeat/Illumise
2-2 Porygon 2
3-4 Scott
4 Celios

vs

2-2 Claydol
3-4 Quickball
2 Master Ball/Dusk Ball
2-3 Great Ball
3 Pokedex
3 Pokenav

1. Claydol is a better recovery card than Porygon 2,weakness is better(not many grass) and 10+ HP.
2.You can play through all these in one turn and your deck is thinned better for claydols and u get a supporter so its thinning better.
3.Only have to setup 1 Claydol,Soviet u gotta setup a Porygon 2 a Illuise and Volbeat and u have use a supporter to probably do that.Meaning u will be a turn behind of what you have to get even if a T2 Porygon 2.
4.Fishing is better against 1 of the top tier decks in the format(Gardy//Gallade)
5.Fishing has been proving to be more constitant.

Thats just how I feel.

Back