Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

~ Florida State Championships Report ~

Kyogre

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
My disgruntled Tournament Report. If you don't feel like reading my banter then skip on down to the final round. But before I start I would like to say I had a wonderful time with everyone there and I will look forward to seeing all of you at the Gym Challenge. And Mareena, I will not hold any grudges against to. Unfortunately if the situations were reversed I most likely would have done the same. We had fun, despite the outcome.

First off my deck:
Pokemon (25) :
4x Torchic (DR)
2x Combusken (Flare)
4x Blaziken
1x Blaziken EX
2x Skitty
2x Delcatty
3x Vulpix
3x Ninetails
4x Dunsparce

Trainers (19) :
3x POR
3x Copy Cat
4x Rare Candy
4x Oracle
3x Prof. Elm's Training Method
2x HPS

Energy (16) :
16x Fire

Now before all of you start to say, "-1 Blaziken, -3 PETM, +1 Blaziken EX, +3 TV Reporter" I would have to say that these changes would have not lead to the place that I ended up in. The way I figured was my main plan was to set up my Ninetails as attackers. And use Blaziken EX for support. Throughout the tournament this rang true. I was able to set up early on and didn't use Blaziken EX until it was needed (See Round 5 Vs. Eric Craig). I would much rather set up a Blaziken then Blaziken EX early game. Also I was able to pull off a turn 2 Delcatty many times because of PETM. This I found to be a lot more useful then drawing 3 random cards on my first turn. Now that is out of the way onto the matches:

Round 1 Vs. BAR
What a way to begin the tournament, against a BAR deck. Fortunately I had the prize advantage, but in this game that wouldn't be necessary. To make a long story short, he had a bad starting hand. No Sparce, no draw, no win. I didn't really like how that turned out. I started with a decent hand, no sparce but had Skitty and Elm's Training Method in my hand so I got draw early on and went as it should. He was pretty upset about this bad start in the tournament so we played for fun and he won. Even though my beginning hand was a Torchic, 3 Rare Candies, 2 Ninetails, and an Energy, he felt better.

1-0-0 (3 Points)

Round 2 Vs. Team Magma red face paint.
This deck looked like a T/M Aggron deck with T/M Zangoose. But as near as I could tell, his first hand consisted of a Poochiena, Aron, a Darkness energy, and a few energies. I began with a Torchic, PETM, 2 Energies, and three other random cards. I drew on my turn a Dunsparce, played PETM for Delcatty and retreated Torchic for Sparce. Meanwhile he was unable to draw any of those T/M Drawing cards. I was however able to set up a Blaziken EX with 6 Energies. He was only able to send up underpowered guys which was Blaze Kickable. He did began to get some Aggrons out through the use of Maxie and evolution but the fell prey to Volcanic Ash.

2-0-0 (6 Points)

Round 3 Vs. Muk EX.
This is where I met the woman who would in the end do me in. I began with a seemingly perfect start. She was able to get Muk EX turn 2, exactly one turn before I got Delcatty, Blaziken, and Ninetails out. I didn't even get a chance to power up Ninetails with 4 energies to KO the Muk EX before it went down. I was expecting this. my deck is dependent on its Powers. But anyway I lost this one and went on but little did I know that this would not be the last I would play her.

2-1-0 (6 Points)

Round 4 Vs. Ampharos/Expedition Pichu
This was an interesting deck to see from a VIP member. He used Expedition to stall as he built Ampharos(s) to KO my stuff. It was extremely annoying to flip tails on my first Dunsparce attack. He had an average start for a deck without Delcatty, Flaffy out and Pichu holding its ground. I was able to pull off a Dunsparce attack and started to set up. He got 2 Energies on Flaffy and was trying to get Ampharos but was running into a wall. This allowed me to eventually get a Ninetails ready with 150 damage to OHKO the upcoming Ampharos EX. Until then I had to KO the Pichu with Torchic, as I didn't really want to waste discarding attacks. I flipped tails, and he was able to grab his Amphros EX. Brought it up and KOed the Torchic. Even though I think we both knew that was not the best move to do, he had no other attackers out. I obviously KOed the Ampharos EX and out came the Pichu again. He was well under way to get another Amphy ready while I was able to move onto setting up a Blaziken EX and was able to KO the Flaffy before it became a threat. After that it it went down hill for him.

3-1-0 (9 Points)

Round 5 Vs. BAR
This had to be the best game EVER! It was a display of true power of both decks. This was against Eric Craig. We both started out perfectly, Dunsparce first turn, Delcatty second turn, ect. The time for Dunsparce War ended as he had a 80 damage ready Rayquaza and a Blaziken EX working on Power up. I had 2 Nintails ready with 4 and 3 energies respectively. He decided to began the attack with Blaziken EX and KO'ed my Bench Ninetails. I turned around and Firestarted onto the Ninetails to KO his Blaziken EX. He came around and KO'ed that with Rayquaza. Both of us were with 4 Prizes left and I had just drew a Torchic through my prizes. In that turn I got another Fire Starter (3 now) and Blaziken EX. With no Energies in my hand, sigh, I got 3 energies onto Blaziken EX and decided I need to get off 50 damage to his Blaziken EX if I am to KO it next turn, other wise if I had left it on the bench to get more energies he would get the first damage onto Blaziken EX. I got heads and it was his turn. He chose to Volcanic Ash my Blaziken EX and it was my turn. I Copy Cat for some decent amount and still no energies. I was miffed. So I powered up a Fire Starter and started on a Third Ninetails and Blaze Kicked for 50 more. He KO'ed my Blaziken EX and was down to 2 Prizes. I brought up Blaziken and KO'ed his Blaziken EX. I was now at 2 Prizes. He brought up a Blaziken himself and KO'ed my Blaziken, I forget the exact damage but thats what happened. He had one Prize left and I knew it was over. I brought up Ninetails and KO'ed the Blaziken (One Prize left for me) and of course he brought up the Ray EX for the Win. We were the last game of the round and we both agreed that it was a wonderful game.

3-2-0 (9 Points)

Round 6 Vs. Something
For some reason this round I forget. If I remember it I will add it later. I don't know why I can remember the first rounds but not the last. Go figure. The good thing though is that I won this round.

4-2-0 (12 Points)
Thanks to my resistance I was in the top 8. That means I qualified for the Single Elimination round. The only problem was that it was Single Elimination but it was only best of a single game! It was not best of three match. This was crazy, one bad hand can make your entire trip and work to get to this point a waste. The players were concerned about this to say the least. And after the lengthy deck checks we begun the nerve wrecking battles.

Final Round 1 Vs. Muk EX
Here I was again! Facing the same woman in the preliminaries. Although I took the first lose with dignity and acceptance, little that I knew that this would be completely different. The game started well for me, although she got a Warning from a judge for drawing too many cards from Professor Oak's Research, I was able to get my set up but of course was unable to do much of anything without powers. I was however to power up a Ninetails enough to KO her Muk EX. She knew this and retreated Muk EX for a Roselia. This single turn gave me enough time to set up another Ninetails and power up a Blaziken. To skip to the end, she has 3 Prize Cards while I had 4. I had just KO'ed her Roselia with Blaziken. I had 2 fully powered (110 damage) Ninetails on my bench. It was her turn and she brought up the Muk EX. She asked how much time was left and Phil said about 30 seconds. She knew that if she just stalled on her turn she would win the match due to prize count. That was it, she won. If you had been following you would know that next turn I would have been able to retreat the Blaziken for Ninetails, KO the Muk EX and won through Prizes as well. But I lost. Yeah. . .

That ended my state Championships for Florida. Placing 6th.

Afterward we had a late night Game Boy challenge which was very fun and entertaining as Chris was attempting to destroy his GBA through brute force. Why? We have yet to find out.

Post deck changes:
-1 Combusken
-1 PETM
+2 Warp Point

Props:
-The cheap Aqua/Magma Boxes
-The chance to meet people from the boards, Dark Sneasel, Misdrevas, Krayzie, sneaselsrevenge and others.
-Lapras with deformed growth a.k.a. Marill :D
-Getting cool VIP stuff without being a VIP.
-The fun times with everyone

Cons:
-The no thrills/skills lose in the Finals
-NO BEST OF 3 MATCHES IN THE FINALS

If you want to talk more then contact me through AIM: AquaChaos

EDIT: Fixed some exaggerations. It always feels like a lot of time when you are playing in the finals.

Last edited:
Kyogre - Great report. I enjoyed reading it. Yeah I agree with the PETM. I mean after a Strike and Run to get the Skitty then a turn2 PETM to guarntee the Delcatty is the way to go. Mostly if you get the Catty out 1st you win. I used to play a similar deck but retired it after the MA States and play mostly Blaze counter decks now.

That sux in your fnial round that your opponent stalled for 1:30. I mean maybe I can see it for 30 seconds. Was she even playing cards to shuffle her deck and waste time at least? You definately should have won that.

Kyogre said:
Cons:
-The no thrills/skills lose in the Finals
-NO BEST OF 3 MATCHES IN THE FINALS

Yeah, alot of people wanted best 2/3. But after the software problems after the first round there was no time for that and the side events.

JohnnyBlaze: She only had a single card in her hand, and I believe it was some form of healing such as Moo-Moo Milk and she had no damage on any of her Pokemon. I mean how long can you think about playing that card?

sneaselsrevenge: Yeah, none the less we were there until 10:30 at night. I don't know about the rest of you but Hidi and I were ready to draft till 3 AM. ;)

JohnnyBlaze said:
Kyogre - Great report. I enjoyed reading it. Yeah I agree with the PETM. I mean after a Strike and Run to get the Skitty then a turn2 PETM to guarntee the Delcatty is the way to go. Mostly if you get the Catty out 1st you win. I used to play a similar deck but retired it after the MA States and play mostly Blaze counter decks now.

That sux in your fnial round that your opponent stalled for 1:30. I mean maybe I can see it for 30 seconds. Was she even playing cards to shuffle her deck and waste time at least? You definately should have won that.

I'm not trying to take either side here, and I can understand how Kyogre might feel like he got cheated. However, the pertinent fact to note is that there were two judges watching the end of that match (Phil and me). The Muk player was not doing any of the "standard" stalls like looking thru the discard pile, playing unneeded search cards to go thru her deck or shuffling excessivley.

It looked to me (and I'll let Phil speak for himself) that she realized she was in a tight situation and was trying to come up with the best way to deal with it. The circumstances of the game certainly made stalling advantageous, but again, there were two judges watching and neither saw anything inappropriate happening.

Last edited:
Jeez, 1:30 stall. Judge? Judge?

No time for 2/3?

At the events I have run and were run in TN, the side events were started after the swiss rounds (for all the non-finalists) and the side events were completed before the finals! (I know, that means that the finalists do not get to compete in some of the side events, and .... but, hey, they are already guaranteed packs for their finals appearances...if they really want to play, drop LOL)

Sounds like you were robbed. Sorry to hear it. See you at Nationals, or maybe at Worlds.

M45

Okay, let's clear some things up.

Renee had a few more cards in her hand. I was sitting directly next to her and I could clearly see the cards she had in her hand. As well, she had under thirty seconds when her final turn began. Not a minute and thirty seconds, that number is over exaggerated. She did take some time deciding who to bring up after you KO'd her Roselia inbetween turns and I remember her playing the Moo Moo Milk. I didnt find a fault in her turn, she was spending the time wisely and wasnt doing the typical stalling techniques that Voltorb brought up. I know that this will probably not change your opinion on the situation, but that was my take on the game, while I was keeping another eye on the game next to me. Sorry if you feel that she deserved some sort of penalty for what you deemed slow play/stalling.

Meganium, I know you feel that match play was needed for the State Championships. The team at Florida State Champs were also considering the same thing, but due to severe computer problems that required us to manually repair and report results for round one, it was decided that we simply did not have the time to fit two out of three game match play for the Single Elimination Finals. By the time we started Single Elim, it was around five/six in the evening. At that point we took the remaining players that didnt make the cut and allowed them to play in a spur of the moment free Modified Single Elim, with prizes. After Single Elim was finished, we held our free Gameboy event. So we ran two flights of events for all of our players.
-Phil

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I guess while playing in a situation like that seconds feel like minutes. Also I'm sorry if it sounded like I wanted Renee to get a penalty. I suppose it just wasn't the way I wanted to leave the tournament. I wanted to go down in a blaze of a glorious battle. Like the one with Eric.

Yeah, 30 seconds is WAY different.

Still, if she was just holding her turn, it was stalling. Legal or not, it was stalling.

JMHO. Not many of us like to win that way.

2 judges make me think that it was just bad timing. Dude, you just need to shuffle faster on turn 2!

M45

Last edited:
Cool report! Very nice deck too! It was cool seeing you at the tourney and congrats on placing in the top 8. It is quite a challenge to go up against Renee's Muk ex deck with any kind Blaziken variant but it seems like you were able to hold up pretty well against her. Hope to see you at one of the Gym Challenges (I'll definitely be at the one in Orlando and possibly the WPB one).

Back