Forest Guardian: Taking the lead?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by SuperWooper, Feb 21, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Name five supporters off the top of your head right now.

I bet you thought of some of these:
    Oracle
    TV Reporter
    PETM
    POR
    Copycat
    Fan Club
    Fisherman
    Town Volunteers

You didn't think of Forest Guardian, did you? Actually, you probably did, since it's in the title, but I digress. Did I use that word correctly? I never was any good at grammar. :p

How many of you use Master Ball in your modified decks? Anybody? Otaku, Baboon, um...nobody else. :D Not to single you guys out, but the power of Masterball can't be denied, since it isn't a supporter. Any non-supporter trainer immediately turns my head nowadays. Masterball is good, no doubt. You draw seven cards, choose a pokemon card and show it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your deck.

Forest Guardian, which is a supporter, lets you do the same thing, except:

1) You must shuffle your deck before you draw the seven cards.
    2) You may choose any card
    3) You don't show it to your opponent

The cards are very similar. But with all the good supporters, Forest Guardian didn't make the cut in most decks. It's rotating out soon anyway, most people think, so why bother?
    Here's why: Any card out of seven into your hand. Any card. If you like Masterball, then why not use this. It's a supporter. So what? Drop some Oracle or something.

Which brings me to Oracle vs. Forest Guardian. Oracle let's you take two cards from your entire deck. This kind of searching is UNPARALLELED in the current modified format. So why bother writing this article, you ask? Forest Guardian gets the card right into your hand. No waiting, no chances for Desert Shaman disruption. Nothing. Just one card of seven, straight into your hand.

So what? you think, I'll just play Delcatty. It let's me draw right away. First of all, you have to set Delcatty up. You can't use it first turn. First turn Forest Guardians are extremely helpful, especially in today's format. So it's good first turn, big deal, you think. Ah! It is a big deal. Today's evolution filled envio relies heavilly on speed, speed, speed.

Give it a chance. Guardian is a very good card. I used to run 3/3 Oracle Guardian, but no more. I'm using 4/2 now, and Guardian has taken the lead.

2. Perfect0ne

Perfect0ne New Member

If you've been playing long, you never overlook cards. It is true that now and then people do overlook them, but its not like you're bringing up something that shakes people to the bone. The message I got from this is "play Forest Guardian- it is good". I think that people generally overlook cards that are not put in decks at the start of the first wave of posting when a new modified block rotates in. Forest Guardian is great in Haymaker-type decks, Kingdra, and other decks with high amounts of tech.

3. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

I used it in my Aggron EX deck and in worked great. It found me Crystal Shards, Metal Energies, and even some pokemon I needed, and right when I needed them. And if I don't like what I got, I just chose a Reporter, Copycat, or Oracle. This may be in part because of the luck factor, but I find that more often than not I find what I need.

4. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

I used to love this card, with the release of Aquapolis. I used it alot. Then I decided not to. There are better cards, like Oracle, that yes sometimes dont work as well, but generally do. Also there is that Underground Expedition, it only lets you look at 4, but it puts 2 of them in hand, and great if you bottem deck, lol. The card is usefull, I just feel there are better choices.... still it is a fun card to use....

5. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Um...Special energies? You have a 1/2 chance of finding the card you need if there are four of it in the deck. It especially works well in the first few turns and in very late game. In the middle I just use Oracle.

6. duanojo

duanojo New Member

Spectreon, glad to see that someone else appreciates Underground Expedition on some level. I don't use it in any serious decks, but it's still a lot of fun to play. When it comes down to it, I usually use Master Ball and Oracle ahead of Forest Guardian. However, in my Sceptile deck which uses Rare Candy and Fast Ball, I have three Forest Guardians to help me find the Candies quicker, given that I've freed up some supporter space with Fast Ball. FG can also combo (kinda) with Oracle in that it let's you get that next card out the next turn.