Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Format history, and current comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtle

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
I've been playing this game for 9 years, and over the course of that time I've seen many formats come and go, however none have been like the current day format (DP-RR).

There has always been a dominate deck, and good hard counter to it.
1998-1999 Haymaker was the deck, Sponge was the "counter"
1999 Wigglytuff was the deck
2000 Sneasel/Anything was the deck - WOTC Banning sneasel was the counter
2000-2001: Gatr was the deck, Crobat was the counter.
2002-2003: umbreon/espeon/slowking was the deck, anything with igglybuff was a counter.
2003: The Abyss year with no OP
2004: Blaziken/RayEX was BDIF, Gardevoir and Magma were counters.
2005: Rocklock was BDIF, Medicham was the counter
2006: LBS ruled, Mewtric was the best counter. Delta was a good counter too.
2007: Metanite ruled all year. Speed Spread was best counter.
2008: Gardevoir/Gallade was clear BDIF. Empoleon was best counter.
2009: There is no BDIF, matchups play the most important part in winning a tournament.

This list is very accurate. But notice the comparisons. Every year there has been one deck. "one deck to rule them all".(+1 for getting the reference). With one deck, there is a counter. That equates to a healthy, more skill based format.

In this current format (DP-RR) there are a few pros and cons. The cons: literally 5+ decks that will all see play at nationals.

1)GeChamp
2)Gengar/Nidoqueen
3)SP Variants
4)Beedrill
5)Kingdra
6)Speed Machamp
7)Random deck with Machamp tech.

Machamp is a great card, and has been gaining in popularity since the release of SP Pokemon.

1)GeChamp. GeChamp has a good SP matchup, but a worse Beedrill and Kingdra matchups. Even some SP decks can succeed with the ability to get around Fainting Spell flips.

2) Gengar/Nidoqueen. Gengar and Queen go together perfect. Nidoqueen's Body makes it a pain to get around fainting spell and almost impossible without having Dialga G LVX in play. Without the Machamp it has a bad SP game though.

3) SP variant. Depending on what you play the matchups can sway a little bit, but for the most part are pretty much the same. A fast machamp gives SP fits, and can sway the game easily. If you get around Machamp SP decks have the best matchups possible, and usually win vs most decks.

4) Beedrill. Beedrill is this years infernape so to speak. It got released right around battle roads and is taking them by storm. Will it win Nationals? Not a chance. While it's matchups vs most of the format are good, without amazing luck to avoid it's poor games it won't even make cut.

5) Kingdra Kingdra saw a ton of play earlier in the year, but it lost steam as the season went on. It's still very good, vs just about everything, but running into Nidoqueen is like slamming your head against the wall. The pros of kingdra are the techs you can run it in.

6) Speed Machamp Speed Machamp is flukey and lucky. It will see play, but unless you have a very good tech this deck gets very weak mid to end game.

7) Random deck with Machamp Tech See #6.

So, that's what this format is. You play deck X, you beat decks A,B,C and lose to decks D,and E. Alot of games will be won or lost by Fainting Spell, and I bet at LEAST 150 games at nationals in masters will be won on turn 1.

Another big problem with this format is the dependency on your opening 7 cards. Sure, this has become a trend as of late with last year's t2 Gallade DRE, but it has never been like this. I "win" the coin toss and go first. I attach and pass with my 1 basic as you candy a machamp and win. That's a problem.

The pros of the format? It's easy. There isn't much skill required to win games in this format. That makes it easier for new players. I bet attendance is up alot. It's alot easier to teach a new player Machamp as opposed to G&G or Metanite.

I don't like the format, but more attendance is good for the game.

Am I saying it's easy to win a tournament in this format? Not at all, I'm saying it's easier to win games. A tournament win is still an accomplishment.

This is my view of the current format, but rather than just complaining about it I'd like to offer my opinion of how to fix it.

Next years format could be: DP-ON , or GE-ON. It has to be one of those 2. Why? Unown G. Unless we get a reprint of Unown G, every SP deck becomes unplayable because Machamp for 1 energy KOs your whole deck. I wanted to throw this out there, and get everyone's opinions.

But for now, I'm not going to worry about next year. Nationals is in 2 weeks, and this format is wild!

As much as I'd like to say a rogue deck can win nationals, I think the format is too wide open for that. Literally ANYONE can win if they are fortunate enough to draw the right matchups.

I hope everyone enjoys the read and I'd love to hear opinions.

Last edited:
Excellent piece, Squirtle. Dead on about everything. I don't understand this sentence, though:
You play deck #2, you beat decks #3,4,5 and lose to decks #1,#6.

You said in the deck summaries that Gengar without Machamp would have a rough time against SP, yet in that sentence you say Gengar beats SP...

Mr. Silvestro I agree completely.

We have a "chameleon" player in Masters who keeps switching decks, and keeps winning events.

Every time the pool shifts to one side, he surfs to the other.

Our Senior Division proved on that as well, with 5 different players, with 5 different decks winning my first 5 Battle Roads.

Kinda scary.

Not too uncommon to see a player go 5-0 in one Battle road, and then 1-2 in the next one.

Vince

Excellent piece, Squirtle. Dead on about everything. I don't understand this sentence, though:

You said in the deck summaries that Gengar without Machamp would have a rough time against SP, yet in that sentence you say Gengar beats SP...

You read into it a little too much lol. I'll fix it tho.

I basically meant you canplay deck X, and beat A,B,C but get creamed by deck D,E,F

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Mr. Silvestro I agree completely.

We have a "chameleon" player in Masters who keeps switching decks, and keeps winning events.

Every time the pool shifts to one side, he surfs to the other.

Our Senior Division proved on that as well, with 5 different players, with 5 different decks winning my first 5 Battle Roads.

Kinda scary.

Not too uncommon to see a player go 5-0 in one Battle road, and then 1-2 in the next one.

Vince

Yeah Vince, its scary. I played Blaziken/Typhlosion yesterday and won a battle road. All based on matchups. I can't beat Gardy, or ANY SP decks with it, but can beat most everything else.

Last edited:
Great analysis. I agree with most of it. I recently got introduced to Beedrill at a Battle Road, and promptly got my faced stuffed in. Good times! :lol:

I do hope some people 'try' to break the format at Nationals. It's been a tradition every year, and I love to see what wacky ideas people come up with.

This Nationals and Worlds will be tournaments to watch.

I disagree with the format choices, as I don't think TPCi care about specific cards being legal or strategies being overpowered. For all we know, TPCI could plan 1 or 2 years ahead of time, and had already chosen the format well before Machamp-SP conflicts can about.

I do look forward to their announcement on what the next format will be.

p.s. This should be an article.

Filling in the early years:

2000 Sneasel/Anything was the deck

For your Slowking, I don't really recall Eevee being the partner with that, but it could partner with quite a few things.

This format reminds me a bit too much of the late Neo format, when FTKOs were rampant. At least we don't have Baby Pokemon!

For your Slowking, I don't really recall Eevee being the partner with that, but it could partner with quite a few things.

This format reminds me a bit too much of the late Neo format, when FTKOs were rampant. At least we don't have Baby Pokemon!

'Pop thanks for the input, I added that in. As far as Eevee, slowking was mainly paired with Espeon/Umbreon that's why I put eevee. That was my bad, not everyone is in on the lingo. Changed it to be more reader friendly

Um, wasn't, dark muk the counter to gatr during rocket-on. I remember crobat being losing against gatr if the gatr player knew what they were doing.

This pretty much describes my feeling on the format right now. It's a lot more crazy than the format of 06-07, and that's saying something (seemed like it was about 10 decks that were viable). Quite frankly, it frustrates me that there's no straight forward answer to the format, but I suppose that makes things a lot more interesting now. Anything, literally, can win, and really gets me.

Um, wasn't, dark muk the counter to gatr during rocket-on. I remember crobat being losing against gatr if the gatr player knew what they were doing.

Nah, crobat was the only deck that could really bring anywhere near a 50/50 matchup with Gatr. Pretty much came down to them needed 3/4 heads every time.

Dark Muk wasn't so much of a counter as it was just a pain. Never really beat Gatr

What was this sponge haymaker counter you speak of?

Snorlax, Chansey, Alakazam, Mr. Mime, Double colorless Energy, and Scoop up.

Actually, Sponge was a name given to a deck that a guy named Scott Gerhardt pioneered that used Mewtwo (Movie Promo) along with Electabuzz/Scyther/Ditto and the usual Haymaker engine. Mewtwo was the "sponge" that sucked up discarded energy as early as turn 1 (via Computer Search/Professor Oak/Item Finder), allowing for a turn 2 40 (or 80 to Ditto, Hitmonchan, opposing Mewtwos, etc.), which back then was really huge. I am not sure if the OP meant this or the Damage Swap deck you mentioned. I know that Mewtwo wasn't released until 2000, though, so in the OP's timeline, Gerhardt's Sponge wouldn't have been around.

Damage Swap didn't usually run Snorlax and it definitely did run Pokemon Center. It also wasn't really an effective Haymaker counter due to its general slowness and vulnerability to Gust of Wind, although Mr. Mime and Alakazam could create a vicious lock if the deck did get set up.

Great read and agree to most things. The only statement I find wrong is this one:
With one deck, there is a counter. That equates to a healthy, more skill based format.
A healthy environment to me is the fact that at anytime, any deck has a chance. Healthy= New Players having variety. This accommodates all type players. Some favor Psychic, some fighting... but the resources we have and the amount of card pool makes for an interesting Tournament!

Also the current format is FANTASTIC for collectors which aids, IMHO, as a healthy environment. With so many viable decks, it is open game for collectors as many can go for the cards needed and not worry about trading a Lv X for a regular Holo or 2 rares. Now we can trade R4R and both have great decks!

I love the versatility of the format.. Unown G could always be printed in POP10 or released as a Holo Promo!

And now we know!!

Great Read Squirtle!!

Fish

Last edited:
06/07 were a little bit more wide open, but that's pretty accurate in a nutshell.
Last year, Empoleon was more of a 2nd contender rather than a counter IMO. Even considering, GG was near unstoppable all year.

All in all, this format is incredibly matchup based, but there are definitely some decks (SP) that can outplay a lot of their bad matchups with a decent start. I agree with a lot of what you said Steve.

I love the versatility of the format.. Unown G could always be printed in POP10 or released as a Holo Promo!

I also think GE will rotate and things will remain healthy! We always adjust and it always works out!

Great Read Squirtle!!

Fish

DP-on for 09-010 has already been announced

that was a good read, I kind of wish I could have been around for 06-07 because I heard that was the most diverse and most fun. However I do believe that with Japan seeing how stupid machamp is at the japan worlds qualifier I think they will make a counter in the arceus set that will be available for us for states. Things will change for the better, we just gotta stick through it

Dunno, before you had decks fighting to determine who is the strongest.
Our current format is best described as a pile of cards that are so overpowered they break every rule of pokemon tcg easily, thats not a power creep anymore thats just sick.
And when you force 10 guys who can kill each other in the blink of an eye (thats really the best exanple in the world of decks fighting to find out whos the strongest xD)in an all out battle it just egts random.

WHat really disturbs me right now is that the way the game is played gets so, yeah, rtight would best describe it.
No longer can you setup your pokemon and fight, today, if you dont pay attention, the game is over as soon as turn 1.
It can also happen that your opponent just robs of you of every chance of setting up(Legos...), so if you dont find ways to get a consistent setup without using powers but by relying on other sources of speed (and nearly all our current supporters are worse then any before :/) you cant even fight back.
And then there is Gengar, you can basically forget any deck that doesnt have a way to play around its power.
And most of the time you cant go without 2/3 Unown G either.

IMO its disturbing how fast certain cards can end a game, how you just have to find a way around certain cards because theres no way you can just take what they do (usign a power deck against gengar and just taking shadow room, yeah, sure...) and how much pressure this format puts on you.
You just have to find ways to setup without powers, play with 3 bench pokemon, get around fainting spell, protect your power pokemon and have a way to survive donks.

Kinda hard to explain what I mean, pls tell me if you understood it xD

Nah, crobat was the only deck that could really bring anywhere near a 50/50 matchup with Gatr. Pretty much came down to them needed 3/4 heads every time.

Dark Muk wasn't so much of a counter as it was just a pain. Never really beat Gatr

Really? My G8rs never had any problems with the Grass decks of that format. In general, they were just too darn slow to do anything against my consistent turn 3 setup.

Big Fire, OTOH, that was a FAST deck that dealt a crapton load of damage very fast and really threw me for a loop back then. Started with the Blaine's RK9, and moved to EnCargo. BIG decks at their time, and both very fast and very powerful. RK9 was a guaranteed turn 2 120 damage, and could sustain that for 3 out of the first 5 turns (not that they generally needed it). Entei was a speed demon by attaching lotsa energy really quickly, and Magcargo used those energy to deal modular damage upwards of 120, enough to OHKO a G8r the moment it came up...

Entei/Cargo was the one deck outside of Gatr I heard about during that format.

I played it a bit, it was FAST!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back