Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fossils

Syrix_001

I have a question abotu Fossils:

I was informed at my local league that fossils may be played as starters, but when referring to the card text, it is a Trainer card, not a Pokemon, and it even says that you may play it as a Pokemon.

It would still falll under the rules of no trainer cards on the first turn, but woud it fall under Trainer cards on the opening hand too?

I have a question abotu Fossils:

I was informed at my local league that fossils may be played as starters, but when referring to the card text, it is a Trainer card, not a Pokemon, and it even says that you may play it as a Pokemon.

It would still falll under the rules of no trainer cards on the first turn, but woud it fall under Trainer cards on the opening hand too?

Fossils may be used as basic pokemon on the first turn. They are trainers in the sense of searching for them, but basic pokemon as far as putting them on your bench.

Case in point: If you draw only one fossil and all energy and trainers in your first draw, you must play that pokemon.

As seen here: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72764

To clarify:
You may (or have to, if it's the only "Basic" you have!) play the Fossil/Old Amber during set up.
If you are going first, you may not play it during your first turn since it is a Trainer.
If you are going second, you may.

Pop, I know the ruling but the wording on the fossils seems to be a bit at odds with it IMHO.

Armor Fossil said:
Play Armor Fossil as a :colorless Pokemon. (Armor Fossil counts as a Trainer Card as well....

The prhase "Play Armor Fossil" seems to indicate to me that it comes into play only as a Pokemon. You can't "Play" trainers on the first turn ... but Fossils are "Played" as :colorless Pokemon.

This reminds me of Multi Energy in that it doesn't count as Fire, Metal, or whatever type of energy while in the hand or discard pile ... but when attached to a Pokemon it does ... even for "coming into play" type effects like Magmortar's body. More than anything it just seems silly to me that you can START with a fossil but you can't play one going first if you draw it.

Doesn't matter how the card is worded.
It's in the rule book from previous sets.
Not sure why sometimes they print the rule and sometimes they don't .
It is, however, a rule from the rule book.

Pop, I know the ruling but the wording on the fossils seems to be a bit at odds with it IMHO.

The prhase "Play Armor Fossil" seems to indicate to me that it comes into play only as a Pokemon. You can't "Play" trainers on the first turn ... but Fossils are "Played" as :colorless Pokemon.

This reminds me of Multi Energy in that it doesn't count as Fire, Metal, or whatever type of energy while in the hand or discard pile ... but when attached to a Pokemon it does ... even for "coming into play" type effects like Magmortar's body. More than anything it just seems silly to me that you can START with a fossil but you can't play one going first if you draw it.

Theoretcially, when I look at it, the initial set-up phase where you play your active face-down, set up prizes, etc. isn't your first turn; that technically comes when you draw to begin the game. So if you look at it this way, you can play a fossil as your basic if you only have it in your hand, since it's not your first turn yet.

Again, it doesn't have to be figured out from a reading of the card.
It is explicitly allowed per the rules.

Back