Game Review: RSIII: Rebel Strike

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by Dek, Jan 26, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Dek

Dek New Member

Death Star Fighting? Seen it
    AT-AT tieing? Did that too
    Pilot an X-Wing? Been there, done that
    A-Wing? Best so far.
    Y-Wing? eh... No comment.
    On-foot shooting? Now there's somehting different.
    Speeder Bikes? Okay. This is looking interesting.
    Jedi StarFighter? GIVE IT TO ME!
    Jedi Luke Skywalker? Now you're talking!
    Co-op play? Alright. Now im convinced.

Whatever you see above this is what you're gonna expect in StarWars: red face paint Squadron III: Rebel Strike, the only game that I have played with a very long title :lol:

Concept/Story: Play through Episodes 4, 5, and 6 again. This time, however, the missions are separated into two campaigns: Skywalker and Wedge Antilles.

Graphics: If you liked teh red face paint Leader Graphics, prepare to be amazed. They tweaked it a little bit so that they can add in Darth Vader and a giant, talking Palpatine head.

Sound: Expect the usual sound and a few more other bits, like Vader, Palpatine, a few stormtroopers, Chewie, and a few other guys.

Controls: The controls are the same as usual. A button is the lasers, B button is the missles, yada yada yada. But wait, when on foot, the X button is to jump.

Overall, i hate to be *blech* about the game, but nothing much has changed from the last one. If they made a drastic change to the game, then i would have been more interested in it a little bit more.

Grade: 88%

Positives
    +Good graphics
    +good controls
    +good sound
    +Great Unlockables

Negatives
    -Nothing really changed from the last two. Just a few new things and thats it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  2. Joshman

Joshman New Member

I hated this game. Any time you are not inside of a spaceship, the controls just make the game horrible. For instance, when you are on foot, the screen remains in a fixed position the whole time. This little doozy allows enemies to blast at you from unseen positions, while all you can do is target and fire in there general direction until whatever or whoever is firing at you stops. The AT-AT portion of the game was horrible, and I am no fan of the AT-ST either. It seemed the developers of this game tried to add a few new dimensions to the game that were both unrefined and unneccessary. The game is more like "Let's relive the movie scenes through horrible gameplay modes we added", since of course most of the star wars movie scenes are not starfighter dogfights. Why this game still has no "free roam" (in which I mean you can just do whatever you want in the level, and not instantly lose when you don't do what the game wants you to do) levels or modes is a mystery to me, and is what I believe keeps this series from being truly great. So in closing: there are Jedi Knight-type games and Rogue Squadron-type games and like most fans of the Star Wars movies, they should never be married.

3. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

you think RS3 has bad controls? Sonic heroes has horrendus controls and a cruddy camera, but its still a good game nontheless. Its all about getting used to it. Its also about opinion. You're entiteled to you're own opinion, but you have to take both sides of the argument.

4. Joshman

Joshman New Member

I dunno what you mean about taking both sides of the argument. You either like something or you don't, it's not a matter of "so-and-so says this, so I guess I have to like it more." Perhaps you can enlighten me on what you meant with a more coherent post.

As for comparing one bad game to another... that doesn't make the game better overall if is somewhat more playable than another title. It's kinda like telling someone that they're the best smelling person in France.

5. Dek

Dek New Member

The controls are alright. The only think i dont liek about them is that they really havent changed at all, so i am a little turned off by the game. On teh positive side, Luke does get a lightsaber halfway during the Skywalker campagin. The only problem there is that the Lightsaber action really isnt as great as a Jedi Outcast or a Jedi Academy saber fight.

6. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

When I say both sides of the argument I mean that you have to say that there are good (or bad, depending on what side you are arguing) features of said game , to make sure that you don't confuse people into thinking a game is complete crud.

7. Joshman

Joshman New Member

The game is complete crud. Maybe you have found some redeeming qualities in it, but a complete downgrade from the previous title has no value to me.