Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Getting Bellossoms in play for Flower Dance

slowdad

Neo Genesis Bellossom's Flower Dance attack "Does 30 damage times the number of cards with Bellossom in their names that you have in play (including this one)." In the Compendium Dark Weezing was unable to count more than 1 Weezing attached to Brock's Ninetales, since Ninetales could only be treated as the top one. Now NG Bellossom is only looking for CARDS in play, so would a Bellossom stack on Brock's Ninetales do 120 damage?

I did some digging over at the Compendium. Although the question was not answered directly under "Flower Dance," I think I did find something that applies.

"Q. Will a Poliwhirl attached to a Brock's Nintales count towards Politoed's Frog Song?
A. Yes it will. (Aug 9, 2001 WotC Chat, Q260)"

Neo Discovery Politoed's Power Frog Song:
"Whenever Politoed’s attack damages the Defending Pokémon (after applying Weakness and Resistance), if there are more than 3 Poliwags, Poliwhirls, Poliwraths, and/or Politoeds in play (including your opponent’s), that attack does 40 more damage (no matter how many heads you get). This power stops working while Politoed is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed."

Since having a Poliwhirl on Brock's Ninetails counts for Frog Song, I do not see any reason why a Bellossom on Brock's Ninetails would not count for Flower Dance.

I agree with PokePop, though, that multiple Bellossoms on the same Brock's Ninetails would not have the effect you are hoping for.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Bellossom's attack is not counting Pokemon named Bellossom; it is counting cards in play with the name "Bellossom" on them. Brock's Ninetales is doing nothing to change the writing on the 4 Bellossom cards attached to it. (Remember the whole non-holo Ho-oh thing about a card's intrinsic identity being unchageable?).

The only point of contention is what is meant by "in play". According to the rulebook "in play" means on the playing table (and not in your hand, your prizes, or the discard). Nowhere does "in play" get equated to "being useable". When Squirtle evolves, Squirtle is no longer a Pokemon in play, but it sure looks to me like the CARD is still out there.

Brock's Ninetales has been ruled to ignore F Aerodactyl's PP that "no more Evolution _cards_ can be played [not evolved]") by merely attaching cards. So perhaps if even the top Bellossom is not "in play" the attack should do 0 damage. Being "in play" cannot be connected to what Brock's Ninetales thinks; the 4 Bellossoms are either all in play or none are.

Last edited:
Yikes, ANOTHER Brock's Ninetails nightmare! That card has been more trouble than any card I can think of, except maybe Fossil Ditto! IMO, only the top card on Brock's Ninetails would count toward Flower Dance. BTW, are there any cards out there that have Bellossom and something else in their names?

I have a question for nintendo. If I am using ditto against a brock's ninetails with a bellossom on it, and then I lay my own on my own ninetails on the bench then scoop up my ditto and lay it back down and bring up my ninetails and then lay a ditto on the bellossom, how much damage would it do?

Back