4 Professor Birch
4 Professor Rowan

3 Great Ball
2 Night Maintenance
3 Plus Power
3 PokeBall
2 SSU
3 Windstorm

Strat: This deck was first inspired by gOLDHatter and Duck X-ing that were posted a while back. I built my own list then, had some fun testing it, but eventually abandoned the idea as being a bit slow for my taste. I had trouble getting T2 Golduck / T3 Xatu and at the time that’s what I thought was needed so you could do 60 with Golduck then use Xatu to transfer confusion off Golduck. The deck also lacked a heavy hitter for times when the Golduck/Xatu combo wasn’t working. I eventually took the deck apart to build other things.

Later on I was thinking about all the Darkwing Duck posts, Absol hand disruption, and how Professor Birch had been one of the major answers over in Japan ... and I wondered if it would be possible to build an “engine” based on Birch, immediate use trainers, a few complementary cards. I also wanted to build it such that the trainers would be of limited use to decks that copy supporters with Pokemon such as Gardevoir. It struck me that such a deck based on trainers and low hand draw probably wouldn’t work with any sort of stage 2 attacker ... but that it just might with the right stage 1s. I already had a Blissey deck built so I considered other Stage 1 decks that might be interesting and decided to bring back Golduck/Xatu.

This is the result. It’s heavily luck based. I mean REALLY heavily luck based. If you can flip heads with any sort of regularity then it can be insane. If not then you shouldn’t even start to try it. In my testing I’ve had this setup flop more than once ... but it’s also produced some amazing wins and comebacks. The key is to not get attached to anything in your hand. Use what you can, refresh, and move on.

Some specific cards that bear mention:

Psyduck ... the ability to confuse T1 is not to be underestimated. Absol doesn’t like being confused.

PokeBall ... I had GreatBall in my first list but with the different lines in the deck it didn’t work. Further there are too few Pokemon in the deck for Dusk/Masterball to have good enough odds for my taste. So PokeBall. I figured why not in a luck based deck, and by golly it works.

Unown E ... the extra 10 HP comes in handy sometimes. Gallade has to filp over an extra prize to one-shot a Xatu or Gyarados with E attached for instance. I wanted an extra basic and something to replicate the function of some of the tools that were in my original build and E fit.

Gyarados ... it was either him or Blissey as a tank and it was the fighting resistance that sold me on ‘dos. With Gallade, Lucario level X and more in format Gyarados is a monster when used at the right moment. The trick is getting him out with this deck’s crazy trainer setup.

Pokedex ... was in version 1.0 of my test build but I took it out in favor of Rowan’s. It’s a useful card if you want to work it back in.

Plusle & Minun ... Haven’t tested these in this build yet but I’m going to. Theoretically they fit perfectly.

Matchup wise this crazy deck does really well against many Blissy and Gardevoir builds, Pokemon with high retreat that don’t deal well with confusion. It deals with Absol pretty well most of the time, as designed. Ironically it has real trouble with Magmortar with his fast attack, healing, and Holon FF. Veansaur ate it alive too in spite of my expectations. The frog was usually able to make a confused Golduck’s Asleep instead which really hurt the strat of moving confusion.

I didn’t really expect too much out of this when I built it, but it did well enough all things considered that I decided to post it. I haven’t seen any posts with a trainer setup like this, but thought that it might inspire others for better or for worse.

3 GB and 2 pokeball seems very weak to set up with all the absol/mars/wager/honchkrow. It seems like you're going to hit a wall and wish you had some celio's or something.

I've had a few games like that ... but it's the constant hand refresh that gets around it more times than not.

Edit: I should add that I ran 4 Great & 4 Quick balls in my first draft ... and I frequently ended up not using them by mid to late game since I had a full bench. That's why I reduced the count a bit.

Well, the thing is... you can't really use that logic sometimes.

It's about the opening consistency. You may not have used them late game, but that's the cost of consistency. Back in the day you ran 4 swoop, 4 jirachi DX. You sure as heck didn't use them late game though.

Going from 4 DB/4 QB to 3 GB and 2 pokeball (only 50/50 anyhow) is blehhh.

I'd say replace the PB with masterballs. And maybe add another GB. Like you said, even if you don't use them you can burn through them easily.

Watching you two talk about this deck is helping me understand a lot about deck construction. I hope to someday post a deck list compelling enough to get this kind of interest and discussion going. Learning how to build a tailor made trainer engine and pokemon lines, then coupling them with the right types and quantity of energy to execute a stated strategy is deceptively simple. And that is before even determining whether or not the strategy is a winner!

Thanks!

how does the golduck/xatu combo work? it seems like you'd confuse yourself with golduck, opponent KOs golduck, now you no longer have a special condition to shift to the opponent with xatu.

how does the golduck/xatu combo work? it seems like you'd confuse yourself with golduck, opponent KOs golduck, now you no longer have a special condition to shift to the opponent with xatu.

It happens sometimes, but not every deck can do 90 HP OHOKOs ... nor can they all spread damage to put things in OHKO range. But between the ones that do and the fact that moving confusion doesn't help too much when you are about to KO your opponent it's a tactic you can't count on 100% of the time. When it works it's great. When it doesn't you snipe with Xatu or tank with Gyarados. Still, overall, it works enough to be highly useful in a lot of matchups.

Encore is also really funny sometimes. I've used a damaged Duck to Encore Gallade into using Sonic Blade ... which ends up doing nothing if the duck already has 40 or more damage.

It kind of answers SuicidalPikachu as well but this is one of the reasons Energy Switch is in the deck too. When one thing doesn't work being able to move energy before an SSU or sacrifice is just hugely useful & pretty much gives the same sort of swiftness DRE does though it's admittedly a bit less reliable. I had 3 Energy Switch in the first build and would run 4 if I had room.

I also agree that a few DRE would be very helpful to speed up attacks and use as recovery. DRE is mock energy acceleration, which has always been the greatest thing in pokemon.

I'll tweak things around tomorrow & give DRE a whirl. I think that the main reason I used Multi was because I had Crystal Beach in there at one point ... but I ended up not having room for it later.

I've also found that I frequently need to do exactly 70 damage at some point in the game, usually for a THKO on a 130 point pokemon. That's doable with a Plus Power. DRE would make that a lot harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back