Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Goodstuff team for doubles Help!

Normal guy

Ok hi guys I feel like I keep losing against other trainers on the random matchup so I want to have you guys tell me what im doing wrong sorry but I do not have EV or IV counts but I will give what stats they have at Lv 50

ok here it goes

Name: Garchomp
Item: Life Orb
Ability:Sand veil
Nature:Hasty
Moves
-Dragon claw
-Outrage
-Crunch
-Protect
Stats
speed:167
S attack:102
S defense:106
defense:99
attack:166
HP:184

Name: Thundurus
Item:Lum berry
Ability: Volt absorb
Nature:Gentle
Moves
-Crunch
-Thunderbolt
-Protect
-Rest
Stats
speed:141
S attack:150
S defense:101
defense:78
attack:110
HP:151

Name: Rotom
Item:White herb
Ability: levitate
Nature:lonely
Moves
-Overheat
-thunderbolt
-shadow ball
-substitute
Stats
speed:138
S attack:120
S defense:131
defense:111
attack:83
HP:122

Name: Metagross
Item:redcard
ability: clear body
Nature:modest
Moves
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet punch
-Thunder punch
-Hammer arm
Stats
speed:93
S attack:112
S defense:125
defense:146
attack:142
HP:160

Name: Terrakion
Item:Black belt
ability:Justified
Nature:jolly
Moves
-Sacred sword
-rock slide
-bulldoze
-giga impact
Stats
speed:129
S attack:80
S defense:98
defense:109
attack:152
HP:156

Name: Tyranitar
Item:Earth plate
Ability: sand stream
Nature:gentle
Moves
-stone edge
-earthquake
-dark pulse
-dragon claw
Stats
speed:90
S attack:125
S defense:133
defense:117
attack:161
HP:173

Plan to beat up on pokemon till they go down
please give some feed back thanks!

Last edited:
On Garchomp-
I personally do not see a need to have both Outrage and Dragon Claw. I would drop Outrage for say Brick Break. I would also not use Life Orb, instead I use Bright Powder to gain more evasiveness mixed with Sand Vail in the sandstorm.

With Metagross- I would Life Orb him over Garchomp, but that is just my preference.

Tyranatar- I would go with Expert Belt over the use of the Earth Plate.

I will give a better look over on this team when I have more time, but this is what I would change to get a better win rate in Wi-Fi match-ups.

I tried to calculate your EVs for you but I got some potentially impossible numbers (Thundurus' Speed). I was probably just doing it wrong? Anyway.

Which form of Rotom is that? I'm going to assume Heat...

Here are a couple of things that I'm observing might be problematic for you:

- Your team is really weak to multitarget moves. Earthquake strikes 3 of your Pokemon super effectively. That makes Tyranitar's own Earthquake really kind of worthless since you can't use it except under relatively specific circumstances, without KOing your own guys. Surf/Water Spout also wrecks 3 members of your team, and Blizzard absolutely destroys Garchomp and Thundurus, your only two "fast threats". What this basically means is if you see an Earthquake or Water Spout user, that one Pokemon immediately renders 3 members of your team useless - as I'm sue you can guess, this is something we want to fix.

- Your team has absolutely no disruption whatsoever. If your opponent wants to set up Hail and Trick Room (for example), you have no way to stop them. Picking up a fast Taunt or Fake Out user will really help you out against setup strategies. As it is, if someone starts Abomasnow and TR Jellicent to you, you pretty much just immediately lose. We don't want any "immediately just lose" situations. :)

- You have a lot of slow Pokemon that aren't capable of taking many hits. Tyranitar has the best defensive stats on your team but it gets hit super effectively by several common types, so he can't take EVERY hit. Metagross is your next best bet, but in exchange, your Metagross' Attack stat is actually quite low, and he won't hit hard enough to really matter. You need a Pokemon you can switch into a strong attack without fear of it dropping below half HP (or even getting KO'd, because of how slow most of your pokes are) before it can even attack. Gliscor comes to mind, maybe?

And a few other things that I see as being questionable, but if they make sense to you, well, okay.

- You run a lot of Dark-type moves but Dark isn't actually a great offensive type. Tyranitar doesn't need Dark Pulse (you would be better off with Crunch), Garchomp and Thundurus don't need Crunch, and (similarly but a different type) Rotom doesn't need Shadow Ball. Most of the things you hit super effectively with these moves you should either knock out with a different move anyway, or can be hit hard with a move that provides better type coverage. Consider Earthquake on Garchomp (especially if you can switch out a few of your EQ-weak pokes for more fliers or levitators), Grass Knot or Focus Blast on Thundurus, and Volt Switch or possibly a Hidden Power on your Rotom. On a similar note, Tyranitar doesn't need Dragon Claw; consider Superpower.

- Terrakion prefers Close Combat since it won't take any hits well anyway. Giga Impact is generally not a good move in general; you might like Protect better. You can also consider a Focus Sash.

- Metagross might enjoy Ice Punch instead of Thunderpunch; right now it can't handle Dragon-types well at all, since most of them will have a way of dealing with it before it can land a good Meteor Mash or two.

Honestly, if you REALLY want to go tryhard mode, you should just start over and try to breed new babies of these Pokemon (bar Thundurus) so you can control their natures and EVs. Modest Metagross, Lonely Rotom, and Gentle Thundurus are just painful for me to see. It's a lot of work but your Pokemon will be a lot more powerful for it in the end.

Personally, I don't think Tyranitar belongs on a "goodstuff" team because you end up having to centralize too hard around the sandstorm. I'd swap him out for a different bulky attacker with better typing, and that frees you up to use things like Scrafty, Cresselia, or Slowbro that might diversify your STABs and whatnot.

I tried to calculate your EVs for you but I got some potentially impossible numbers (Thundurus' Speed). I was probably just doing it wrong? Anyway.

Which form of Rotom is that? I'm going to assume Heat...

Here are a couple of things that I'm observing might be problematic for you:

- Your team is really weak to multitarget moves. Earthquake strikes 3 of your Pokemon super effectively. That makes Tyranitar's own Earthquake really kind of worthless since you can't use it except under relatively specific circumstances, without KOing your own guys. Surf/Water Spout also wrecks 3 members of your team, and Blizzard absolutely destroys Garchomp and Thundurus, your only two "fast threats". What this basically means is if you see an Earthquake or Water Spout user, that one Pokemon immediately renders 3 members of your team useless - as I'm sue you can guess, this is something we want to fix.

- Your team has absolutely no disruption whatsoever. If your opponent wants to set up Hail and Trick Room (for example), you have no way to stop them. Picking up a fast Taunt or Fake Out user will really help you out against setup strategies. As it is, if someone starts Abomasnow and TR Jellicent to you, you pretty much just immediately lose. We don't want any "immediately just lose" situations. :)

- You have a lot of slow Pokemon that aren't capable of taking many hits. Tyranitar has the best defensive stats on your team but it gets hit super effectively by several common types, so he can't take EVERY hit. Metagross is your next best bet, but in exchange, your Metagross' Attack stat is actually quite low, and he won't hit hard enough to really matter. You need a Pokemon you can switch into a strong attack without fear of it dropping below half HP (or even getting KO'd, because of how slow most of your pokes are) before it can even attack. Gliscor comes to mind, maybe?

And a few other things that I see as being questionable, but if they make sense to you, well, okay.

- You run a lot of Dark-type moves but Dark isn't actually a great offensive type. Tyranitar doesn't need Dark Pulse (you would be better off with Crunch), Garchomp and Thundurus don't need Crunch, and (similarly but a different type) Rotom doesn't need Shadow Ball. Most of the things you hit super effectively with these moves you should either knock out with a different move anyway, or can be hit hard with a move that provides better type coverage. Consider Earthquake on Garchomp (especially if you can switch out a few of your EQ-weak pokes for more fliers or levitators), Grass Knot or Focus Blast on Thundurus, and Volt Switch or possibly a Hidden Power on your Rotom. On a similar note, Tyranitar doesn't need Dragon Claw; consider Superpower.

- Terrakion prefers Close Combat since it won't take any hits well anyway. Giga Impact is generally not a good move in general; you might like Protect better. You can also consider a Focus Sash.

- Metagross might enjoy Ice Punch instead of Thunderpunch; right now it can't handle Dragon-types well at all, since most of them will have a way of dealing with it before it can land a good Meteor Mash or two.

Honestly, if you REALLY want to go tryhard mode, you should just start over and try to breed new babies of these Pokemon (bar Thundurus) so you can control their natures and EVs. Modest Metagross, Lonely Rotom, and Gentle Thundurus are just painful for me to see. It's a lot of work but your Pokemon will be a lot more powerful for it in the end.

Personally, I don't think Tyranitar belongs on a "goodstuff" team because you end up having to centralize too hard around the sandstorm. I'd swap him out for a different bulky attacker with better typing, and that frees you up to use things like Scrafty, Cresselia, or Slowbro that might diversify your STABs and whatnot.

Thank you and I will answer a few questions
thundurus's speed
caught at Lv. 40 in pokemon dream radar
fought emolgas and altria sorry if misspelled
used that brace that gives more speed things to thundurus but lowers speed when holding

yes rotom is heat seen in overheat

thank you

I was going to add stuff like thunder wave and others to thudurus but I found out dream radar when changed has its hidden ability no prankster :frown:

tryed my best to train for speed must have failed

i was thinking of grass knot but since it was kind of weight based I didnt do it

I found that rotom does not need shadow ball I will see what my rotoms hidden power is and then maybe change that

yes terrakion does not use that to much so might change see if I can get close combat

metagross might need that thanks

got a summer maybe I will start doing that

thank you :thumb:

P.S. Remember just started to try for competitive play since its cheaper then the tcg so this is like a beta version team being one of my first

Last edited:
Back