Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

He works so hard

atomant

What’s the longest amount of time you left your computer on? Well guys and gals I don’t know about you, but I left my computer on for two days straight just to work on my project. I heard stories from friends claiming they left their computers on for weeks, and I thought – maybe this would be a good topic for discussion.

Last edited:
Yeah, i put it in sleep mode every night and it goes to sleep mode when i don't use it for over an hour. I turned it off the other day tho for regionals ;x

My parents used to have a crappy computer that was so slow (like half an hour some times more to boot :eek:), they would just leave it on all the time. The only times it would be turned off was if the power went off or if it needed to be rebooted because the thing froze. That thing would be on for weeks :lol:

But for my PC, I either turn it off or it will stay in sleep mode for no more than a couple hours. It always stays off for the night.

From what I read in a book, it is not good to not let the system go without a reboot every once in awhile. The longer it goes without a reset the slower things get.

My parents used to have a crappy computer that was so slow (like half an hour some times more to boot :eek:), they would just leave it on all the time. The only times it would be turned off was if the power went off or if it needed to be rebooted because the thing froze. That thing would be on for weeks :lol:

But for my PC, I either turn it off or it will stay in sleep mode for no more than a couple hours. It always stays off for the night.

From what I read in a book, it is not good to not let the system go without a reboot every once in awhile. The longer it goes without a reset the slower things get.
Yeah if you go without a reboot for a long time weird things can start happening.

I'm posting from something with about 40 days of uptime. Its memory is starting to choke though (it's only about 60% as good as it is normally), so it'll need a reboot soon, like within the next week probably.

That said, I reboot my desktop pretty much any time I want to play Crysis, to free up resources. For those unfamiliar with that game, it's about the most harsh game you can submit your processors to in terms of resource usage.

At one point, I had my computer on or in sleep mode for 6 months straight.

Then I learned about exactly how computer memory works.

Now, I pretty much turn it off every night. Works better. And that's from a fairly good XP system.

You all know nothing good can come from leaving you computers on like that. Its like leaving your car on. You don't do that.

Its like a person. I you stay up for 8 days straight, will you perform at you best, no you won't because your body need to rest. Computer are like that as well...well anything is like that. Think of it this way. When you leave your computer on like that, things go wrong. 1. you can overheat you motherboard. I know this because my mom never shuts down the computer. You fan clog faster. If you have a clogged fan, you computer can't cool itself down properly and will shut down and if your computer shuts down improperly, it could damage your OS. You processor fan are the one you want to keep working the right way. Well you want you fan to work correctly at all time, especially if you have a gaming computer. Another reason is you can damage your hard drive(s). If they get too hot, they could crash which mean you could loose all of your information. Its already bad enough that you have to trust you computer with your information when your hard drive could crash at any time so why make it worse. As for performance, when your computer is in a state of sleep(like most of you are talking about) its fine. But when you touch the mouse or what ever you do to "wake it up" , the amount of RAM it was at might have be like 22% of you physical memory and it spikes to 85-100%. First if you have a slow computer already it had to reload it startup files not including what you might have during startup and then take time for it to stop running the thing it does not need anymore. Most members here might have 256-512 MB of RAM which is not enough when you treat you computer like that. Wow I said a lot. I work on computers so I know a thing or two about them and when I saw this, I had to say something. Now I hope you shut your computers down at the end of the day or when you are not using them.

Most members here might have 256-512 MB of RAM which is not enough when you treat you computer like that.

Most members here are on archaic dinosaurs of computers? My old one had 256 megabytes, and it was like 7 years old before I replaced it. These days you can get even a gig of ram for less than a box of Pokémon cards. For the mathematically challenged, 1000 megabytes = 1 gigabyte, or two to four times the quoted figure.

Most members here are on archaic dinosaurs of computers? My old one had 256 megabytes, and it was like 7 years old before I replaced it. These days you can get even a gig of ram for less than a box of Pokémon cards. For the mathematically challenged, 1000 megabytes = 1 gigabyte, or two to four times the quoted figure.

That would 1024 MB= 1 GB. I bought a GB for 47$ and a 2 GB for 105$. I have 3 gigs in my computer.

I have 4 on mine. It's a 64-bit OS, so it can recognize up to 8, so I'll eventually be upgrading it when stuff comes out that requires that much RAM.

Anyway, no, 1000 megabytes is 1 gigabyte. Due to the way powers of 2 work, when you say a gig of RAM you mean 1024 megabytes, but as far as SI prefixes go, mega and giga are simple, inflexible powers of 10.

<----August 4th, 2007 (When not in use, sleep mode)

Whats weird is that my comp has 2 512MB RAM Cards in it, yet it only registers as 896. Why is that?

I turn my computer off every night to conserve electricity since it's so huge. My mom never turns hers off.

Back