Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Help, Unidentified base set card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenewneo7

I found this card at my local shop and the owner assures me it is genuine, Just wondering if anyone can identify which run/printing it was from? or is it just a misprint.
Koffing.png

I found this card at my local shop and the owner assures me it is genuine, Just wondering if anyone can identify which run/printing it was from? or is it just a misprint.
Koffing.png

I can't be positive, but the lack of any leagal line text on that card indicates to me that it is a fake card.

I also believe that Base Set had an expansion logo, which this card also lacks.

Prof. Dav

I have had this card checked by 3 very well known card stores and they all told me it was a genuine card. So if your just going to say it is fake, please do not reply.

Don't be so harsh on your scanner. If your scanner indeed possesses the power of changing the Futura font on printed material to some other, random font, then you've got a pretty amazing and unique scanner.

Has the same font as all the cards displayed on this site, if you view it full-size...
Anyway, Thought this site was suppose to help people, Pokemon professor isn't really a high title it seems.
Sorry to all you good Pokemon professors who deserve their title.

That font is absolutely not the font that is used in real Pokémon cards. Look at any card you got from a booster and compare...

Has the same font as all the cards displayed on this site, if you view it full-size...
Anyway, Thought this site was suppose to help people, Pokemon professor isn't really a high title it seems.
Sorry to all you good Pokemon professors who deserve their title.

It seems to me that you just want people to tell you that it is real rather than the truth that it is fake.

You've even gotten a response from a manager at Pokemon USA, which is highly unusual, and you are dismissing it.

Dav is, unfortunately, wrong about one thing: Base Set did not have a set logo. But he can be forgiven that since it was way before his time. :smile:

However, the other point he brought up is a very important one: No legal text line. That kills it right there.

Here are all the things that are wrong with it that can be seen by the scan:

1. Legal text line is missing
2. Font is wrong. It is wrong. People on this board are experts on these cards, we all see that it is wrong. It is not a scan issue.
3. The illustrator is missing
4. The rarity is missing
5. The energy symbols are wrong. Compare the Psychic weakness symbol to another card and you can easily see the difference.

I'm sorry, but it's not a real card. Getting mad at PokeGym members, many of whom have been Tournament Organizers and Judges for almost 10 years (and see these cards day in and day out), isn't going to change that.

Ok then, tho i have had it checked out at 3 diferent shops, one which has been around for 15 years, and was certain it was real due to that verification. Thanks for the help anyway.

I know you don't want to hear it but the people on here, all experts, have told you what you need to know. But you should have learned 2 things...

1. Some of the keys to spotting a fake card (font is almost always a dead-giveaway.

2. Shop owners are less of experts that you would like to believe. They're trying to sell you cards.

>> Pokepop/Mike; I also noticed that,

e's are missing the accent [é]
pokemon vs pokémon

the copyright/ and rarity not being there is a dead give away.
It is a shame that that is a fake shadow less card.

professor dav said:
I also believe that Base Set had an expansion logo, which this card also lacks.

no it (base set) didn't have a set symbol :eek:

Compare it to a real Koffing. The real Koffing cards of that type, which only appeared in Base Set, had four lines of text for the attack rather than the three on your scan. There's no way your scanner could have changed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back